Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks a lot, that's a lot of great info! There's a lot of stuff to consider and a lot of orb farming to do. :p

Full break sounds amazing, I'll definitely aim for it. Thanks for such a through post.

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
Another tip is, don't worry so much about having direct damage Roaming Warrior friends. They are great in the beginning, but they diminish in usefulness towards the end. Stock up on Sentinel Grimoire, Stoneskin II, anything that's AoE Heal, Boon (AoE Shell + Haste), or Lunatic High (AoE Protect + Haste). Those are the ones that help you win late game.

Damage output, while important, is not as important as damage mitigation in tough fights. The reason behind this is because without proper damage mitigation, you can experience a party wipe faster than your damage output can end a tough fight. It's better to spend more actions to beat the boss while receiving less damage than it is to spend less actions to beat the boss while receiving more damage. You lose medals faster for taking damage than you lose medals for spending too many actions.

An ideal cookie cutter setup, in my opinion, would be:

Summoner: AoE Summon, AoE Summon, Record Materia: Summoning Spring II

Black Mage: Elemental Magic, Elemental Magic or AoE Magic, Record Material: Mana Spring II

White Mage: Curaga/Curaja at Rank 4/5, Protectga/Shellga at Rank 2+, Record Materia: Double Hit

Supporter: Power/Magic Breakdown, Full Break if you have it, if not, Boost, Record Materia: Auto-Haste

Attacker: Double Strike/Tempo Flurry, Retaliate, Record Materia: Any ATK% Booster

With this setup, the Summoner and Black Mages can clear the trash mobs on the way to the boss. The White Mage can throw up Protectga (if using it), at the start of each round to reduce incoming damage. This way, when you reach the boss, your party is close to fresh. At the beginning of the battle, throw up Retaliate, all your defensive buffs, the Breakdowns onto the boss, and exploit any of their weaknesses. When the White Mage isn't healing, have it attack your Retaliator to deal damage, too. In between breakdowns and Boost, the the Support should always be attacking the Retaliator for max damage output. Whenever the Black Mage and/or Summoner exploits a weakness, they gain more Soul Break gauge. So if you have a magical character with a strong Soul Break, exploit those weaknesses like crazy.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I've realized support friends are the best, mostly because I don't have any AOE heal (unless you count white mage's base :p ). And that's some very solid logic. That setup looks very interesting and balanced. I've seen on this thread that all melee parties aren't really the way to go. Sadly I lack most of those record materias (except auto haste) and some of those skills (like a high level summon) so it'll be a while before I can pull something liike that off. Still all of your recommendations have given me much to think about. Thanks a ton! You're all so cool. :)

BTW, is boost really that useful? I figured it was a minor boost being such low rarity. Consider me surprised.

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
Boost is one of those skills that withstood the test of time and will most likely continue withstanding the test of time.

In the beginning, Retaliate would carry parties. A single Boost on the Retaliator meant an increase in damage multiplied by everybody that would attack the Retaliator.

Mid-game, when monsters would have more defense, Boost would allow you to stay on top more.

Late-game, the physical defense for monsters don't get much higher than they are mid-game, but their HP values increase. So not only will Boost allow you to stay on top of their defense gains, it will also shorten the amount of time needed to defeat the boss.

Extra-Late-Game, you're probably at the point where you're starting to accumulate a lot of physical Soul Break relics. These relics tend to be able to break the damage cap by dealing multiple hits. Boosting them means each hit has more damage potential, too.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Speaking of damage cap, is there any chance of being able to break that? Bosses can't deal over 9999, but the party are but held by that brutal cap. I'm not expecting to deal 99999 damage but being stuck at 9999 kinda sucks when you KNOW you can do more.

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
The only way to bypass it is to use multiple hits that hit a minimum of 5,000 each hit.

Square_art

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Speaking of damage cap, is there any chance of being able to break that? Bosses can't deal over 9999, but the party are but held by that brutal cap. I'm not expecting to deal 99999 damage but being stuck at 9999 kinda sucks when you KNOW you can do more.
This cap in not a big deal. Most of hard bosses have very good DEF and RES. It will not be easy to reach that cap.

If your mages have 4-5+ stars staffs with synergy boosts, and you have well honed -ja spells, you simply don't need to take mental break/breakdown, so you can save this slot for something else.

If I have 5+ stars synergy weapon, and I use Planet Protector, I take abilities such as Tempo Furry R5 (2 hits *  up to 9999 each) and Barrage R1 (4 hits * up to 9999 each). 

Most of new offence soul breaks have 2-4 hits. So it's also a rare thing to reach 9999 damage in a single hit by using them.

In about 5 months summons are going to be improved in our global version of the game. All 3, 4 and 5 stars summons will have double hit. So it's 19998 cap, that barely can be reached in 120+ difficulty fights. By the way, that's why it's much more reasonable to create Bahamut instead of Odin/Meteor now.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ohohohoo! That's great news! There's never been a real incentive to use summons unless the boss fight has multiple target's that share a weakness. To me, only Carbuncle and Valefor have been worthwhile using. Mist Dragon, Ifrit, Shiva and Ramuh lose their use early on. Guess I should also create Ixion now.

Also, I pulled the Dragon Whisker for Rydia (her relevance just shot RIGHT up!) and two Assassin's Daggers so I maxed one out and combined it. Levelling up Edge right now so he can abuse that~ The low chance of instant kill essentially makes this a dagger version of the Zanteksuken. I really, REALLY want to pull the Elven Bow but I'm glad I what I got. I just LOVE the FF4 dream team~

A little disappointed that they're giving away D.Knight Cecil's MCII, I'd say Kain or Rydia is more deserving personally. I should probably try to gun for Wakka's MCII as well (Unless I pull either of his relics he's not really worth using since I have Fran + Whip Kick).

gRaViJa

Eniko Ghosts of Grace Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So i did an 11 pull and i got 11 3 stars... i had to close the game for a minute there.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The nice thing about the Edge event is that it led to me eventually figuring out how Bonus Quests give you new peeps. This game really needs to explain the non-core-dungeon stuff better...

Also, it could explain difficulty better. I have no idea if something's going to be a challenge or a pushover until I try. Medium daily dungeons are simple, but it doesn't tell me how that compares to, say, Antlion's Den Elite, where everyone but Kain ended up splattered by the Antlion (but in fairness, I forgot my Ice abilities).

But it's all worth it to have the good Edward now. =^_^= I half-expect him to be useless but his skillset is intriguing. He gets those fancy-schmancy Breakdowns and full-party-buff songs. I just wish the game was more flexible about when you can get specific characters you want.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Also, it could explain difficulty better. I have no idea if something's going to be a challenge or a pushover until I try.

I just wish the game was more flexible about when you can get specific characters you want.
Aye, I agree with this. Some dungeons of the same "Difficulty" are a push over while others try to bend you over. And if they're trying to pay homage to the innate difficulty of the game they sure as hell got it right with FF5's realm. But why is FF4 easy? FF9 is harsh unless you have a friend in Carbuncle. Even still, I think the difficulty calculations may need to be re-looked at.

I wish the game would also tell you how much percentage the buffs give you. For example, apparently Chakra heals you and give a 20% ATK buff whereas Memento of Might gives you a straight 30% ATK buff. The game doesn't/ wont tell you this. It'll just say ATK boost.

Seems utility and support become much more important the further in the game you get. That probably explains why Rosa has 4 Star in Support (seriously she is one of my favourite FF White Mages!!~).

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Aye, I agree with this. Some dungeons of the same "Difficulty" are a push over while others try to bend you over. And if they're trying to pay homage to the innate difficulty of the game they sure as hell got it right with FF5's realm. But why is FF4 easy? FF9 is harsh unless you have a friend in Carbuncle. Even still, I think the difficulty calculations may need to be re-looked at.
FFIV in my opinion is one of the easier games in the series. (I haven't played the DS remake, but everyone says FFIII DS is also super-hard but I didn't get that impression myself.) While I'm aware the various super-weapons they gave me has more than slightly unbalanced the difficulty, the first three FFII dungeons were really disappointing. They took two bosses that are difficult in the original game because they're a huge jump in damage and especially defense...and just made them mook-tier with more HP. And Borghen was about as tough as them, despite the entire point of him being that he's a complete joke!

(Though I do find it amusing that they made the trip out of the Snow Cavern a separate dungeon...when in the actual game, it opens up a stairway to the first floor at the end.)

Seems utility and support become much more important the further in the game you get. That probably explains why Rosa has 4 Star in Support (seriously she is one of my favourite FF White Mages!!~).
I'll probably pick Aerith as my healer when the time comes that I actually need one (and I finally get to her). Or maybe Minwu if he's out of Japan by then.

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
(I haven't played the DS remake, but everyone says FFIII DS is also super-hard but I didn't get that impression myself.)
I just played the remake, and you're correct, it isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be. I went on GameFAQs looking for party setup suggestions, and a lot of people are on there like "you must have so-and-so jobs in your party to make it through so-and-so part of the game!!!1!!11!" but I rarely ever followed their suggestions and I had no trouble. I even used the ranger class, which everyone says is ****, all through end-game and found it perfectly effective. With some quick, occasional grinding to make sure your levels are on par with the bosses, you can use whatever party setup you want. I'm playing the FFIV remake right now and getting the same vibe.

Chickenlump

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Re-installed to try it again. Perfermance enhancements my butt, they straight up re-wrote the game from the ground up!

Things happened almost before I touched them.

I'm going now to update my review on Google Play. I'mma let them know they done good.

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
Just beat Ultimate Rubicante during my lunch break. That was a pretty intense fight. x_x And a fight where I have to use my B-team over my A-team since the B-team was able to keep up with heals whereas my A-team couldn't. Even with all that mitigation (Wall, Shellga, Magic Break, Full Break), Rubicante still hits like a truck. However, Rubicante's sexy flame cloak is now mine! Too bad we can't actually see our characters wear these items on their sprites.

Next event is Fang, which means Life Siphon is coming! I'll probably end up making 2-3 copies of this skill at Rank 3/4. How much is needed to make them boils down to

R1: 5 GPO, 3 GIO, 3 GWiO

R2: 15 GPO, 9 GIO, 9 GWiO

R3: 35 GPO, 21 GIO, 21 GWiO

R4: 65 GPO, 39 GIO, 39 GWiO

R5: 110 GPO, 69 GIO, 69 GWiO

Once Orb Conversion is out, time to push them to Rank 4!

Square_art

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Just beat Ultimate Rubicante during my lunch break. That was a pretty intense fight.
)))

Well. For this time all bonus battles look more difficult than average. Dark Bahamut and Ogopogo can badly surprise those who never fought them before. Fortunately, I mastered all FFIV elite dungeons right before bonus battles, so I knew how exactly to fight + bosses.

For those who start completing + battles recently I would advice  to take AoE heal instead of SG/SSII and use it right before the end of 1st and 2nd fight. Otherwise, don't mind to spend 1-2 mythrils to heal your party if someone has less than 70% HP and not very high resistance.

Odin seemed more easy to me. 

I have completed +++ battle exactly as Yanfly completed his last fight. During my lunch time =) At work.

The last boss, Ultimate Rubicante, wasn't very hard to me. Waterga, Waterja, Blizzaga, Blizzaja, Steal Power (only R2, R3 would be much better), mental breakdown (was almost useless since -ja spells was dealing 9999 damage without it), Full Break, Magic Break, Curaja, Shellga. I have to say, super trio of Soul Breaks works simply like magic (SG + Boon + Hymn of Fayth). Just in case, I took Medica SB as Friend's one (AoE Heal + AoE esuna), and apparently, this heal was handy when he started using Blaze spell. 

Now, back to elite dungeons =) FFV next to me. Then FFXIII event.

By the way, what type of ability Life Siphon is?  Combat, Spell Blade? I think I'll create one)

I wonder if my Yunie can use it)) Then I will take it instead of Curaja and simply will spam AoE heal)

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
Life Siphon's Combat 4. This sadly means only a select batch of people are able to make use of it (thus why Ramza is so desirable if you can pull his relic).

Ultimate Rubicante was harder for me because of RNG deciding to make him spam Inferno non-stop. Got to the point where I exited the battle for a strategy change (swapped out Yuna for Vanille since Vanille can use Black Magic). Gave Vanille Tidus's RM3 and loaded her up with Blizzaga. With RM3 and Vanille hitting weaknesses, her SB gauge filled up rather fast so I had an AoE heal every 3/4 turns. Yet, when I swapped in Vanille, Rubicante decided to go all out single target... orz

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I need to take on the Bonus battles of FF4 and I have the dream team lined up (P.Cecil, Kain, Edge, Rydia and Rosa) and I think I should be alright if I can keep my HP high, if not then Cloud and Retaliate... I hate that strategy because it feels so cheap sometimes (though considering what this game willingly throws at you then...)

Plus I've done some reading up on Lifesiphon and well damn... I think outside of Ramza, Tidus is probably the best contender for this. Or anyone you decide to slap Ace Striker onto. And looking at what Ramza and Agrias can use... is that even legal?? Ramza BLOWS Thancred out of the water in every way!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
This game is basically SE's version of "Bravely Frontier"

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, just finished all the FF13 Event dungeons, just waiting on the bonus battles. Boss rush is NOT going to be fun since I can predict what ones are going to pop up. I reared Hope up to Lv50 with Growth Eggs and he's pretty damn deadly (gave him Rinoa's Valkyrie as well), plus I managed to pull Fang's SB Glaive before I even got her. Lightning and Vannile were already borderline Lv60 so I didn't have much trouble breezing through this just like FF4's event! xD

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ready to fall into another development hell...
Mega has been giving me a lot of problems as of late, so I think I'll need to switch to another cloud service. I'm considering Dropbox.
Rough week, but in the end there's light in the darkness.
Mental health is an issue I wish was taken more seriously.
Take care.
1638421271905.jpeg
By the power of timezones! This picture shall still be posted on december 1st!!!
7xI2Gc2.jpg

This is not something I'd ever even considered but wow! What a way to use music in a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StarkerKai