Final Fantasy Saga Thoughts

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by MrKiwi, Apr 30, 2019.

1. MrKiwi

MrKiwi No Flying Bird Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When speaking of RPG, or in general old videogame franchises, Final Fantasy surely has a special place in many gamers hearts. Although, I'd like to see what YOU, as a fellow rmaker, think about your favorite title (Or the whole saga if you don't want to choose :D). Basically I'd like to know your favorites aspects about one of the many FF titles. :kaopride:

So, as for me, I can only choose, praise and love FFVI (Or III for the american first release). Mostly because the story and the characters. (Terra I love youuuu!) Not saying its perfect, but I like it. But going further, what else did hook me onto it?

The battle system, not only it was way more active than other ones before (At least... I felt it more dynamic), but it visually gives you that "active" battle feeling, it is not a huge HUD, and neither a simple skill list. Actually its like a card game... dunno, just saying.

Aww yes, the airship flying, I mean, for a 2D game, that 360° map effect is cool to see, It actually makes you feel flying around the world. C'mon, don't tell me its not awesome for that time :kaohi:

The characters have many expression sprites which make them seem alive, I really like that detail, watching your characters laughing and getting surprised its pretty neat you can feel the scene better than just watching some dialogues with the faces. I'll risk myself saying they felt more alive than in VII (Visually talking). Don't murder me.

Each character had a unique skill type so you don't feel a repetitive gameplay, and Robin's active inputs was a step forward to a more interactive battle system. As for the others, well, some of them where not that original, I mean Locke its just a thief with the typical thief skills... yeah. The downside here is that there are some characters that you don't feel like playing since the others are way porwerfull or cooler, I honestly forget about Locke. Up to these days I only search him for the Phoenix esper :kaoswt:

So, in recap, what I like of FFVI is its unique style, It has one of the first dark and distopian story in the whole franchise, not saying previous titles where flowers and songs, but this game right at the beginning says "Magic is dead", you get to play as the bad guys, and quickly learn the tragic past (And thats just the first 20 minutes). I actually don't get bored of random battles and side missions, not all characters are memorable, but neither despicable. Each has it own charm, and for the first time (And only I think) you kinda get to choose who are the protagonists, even the first character introduced (Terra) can be left out of the final party, literally out. Music is pretty catchy too. So... without making this post unnecessarily longer, thats for me and FFVI

(I don't doom any other RPG games, but as the title of the thread says, only FF here please :))

Canini and atoms like this.
  2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I wouldnt really call it a saga when they dont have any real connections, and doesnt even happen in one universe or so...

Anyway, my favorite FF is FFX because Aeons and High Summoner Lady Yuna. The Conditional Turn Based battle system is also my favorite in the FF games.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    atoms likes this.
  3. Ebanyle

Ebanyle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    tbh I never played any ff, but I saw my brother playing FXVI and FFX, but X is definitely my favorite. Yuna made me open a big place on my heart for summoners ever since, they're basically my favorite RPG class :kaocry:
    The change character in battle is also a system I really like, it's a shame there are very few scripts for that...

atoms and Engr. Adiktuzmiko like this.
  4. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    FFIII was my favorite. The arc of Kain, Cecil and Golbez was amazing. And how they fit the Lunarians into the end and tied it all together served for some great story telling.

FFX takes either top or a close second to FFIII. The battle system was the best in any FF game and unfortunately became ruined ever since. Spira was incredible. I have never been THAT emerged in a make believe world in any FF game before. Just a perfectly executed game even though I feel that Sin and the ending though sticking to the story arc, I don't know, they felt a little out of place on not in synch.

atoms and Engr. Adiktuzmiko like this.
  5. Strange_Dragon_99

Strange_Dragon_99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I love the whole series and have played all major installments. But to tell the truth, I will always love Final Fantasy 4 the best. I played it when I was just a youngling, when it was still called Final Fantasy 2. It was my first RPG, and it opened up the entire world of RPGs for me. It is still one of the games I play through periodically.

Final Fantasy 3/6 also has a special place in my heart. It's in-depth story and vast assembly of playable characters had me hooked from the very start. I was 13 when it was released and remember mowing lawns to save up the money to buy it. Maybe that also cemented its place among my favorites, because I worked so hard to be able to get it.

Another of my favorites is Final Fantasy 13. I felt like it was just such a beautiful game, visually. It has its flaws, but don't we all? LOL.

6. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm also a fan of FF3, but here I think it was always called FF4. Without spoiling anything I loved all the characters, it's the game already mentioned here with Cecil, Kain, Rosa, etc to not spoil anything. I however was not able to play it when it first game out, though I played parts of it and eventually watched the whole thing. A long time later I played the full remake on the DS. I like both the DS version and the origina version.

FF10 is another game I love from the series, and I have played that on Playstation 2.

I also love the stories and concepts in FF7 but I have not actually played it. Though I did play Crisis Core, one of it's spinoffs? If spinoff is the right word for it, and I highly enjoyed it.

I did like Lighting in Final Fantasy13 as well. I actually did like all the characters but felt with the plot, the way it was given to us, it became too melodramatic at times, which is a shame. I did otherwise enjoy many concepts in it. I.e. The l'Cie thing for example, I liked.

I've played a couple of others, but those 3 main FF games and the Crisis Core FF7 spinoff stick out as good FF games to me.

7. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Final Fantasy 9 is by far my favorite (In-fact, it is my favorite game of all time). The story-line is very sweet while still being serious, the characters are cartoonish but fun and well realized and the environments and game-play are fantastic. The only real criticism I have worth mentioning is that the battles are sometimes a little too slow, especially with all the showboating of the attack animations and summons that actually makes the game lag a bit. I also think that this is Nobuo Uematsu's best work, closely followed by the soundtrack for Final Fantasy 7.

OgreKiddo likes this.