Final Fantasy Series

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by BlackestSoul, Dec 1, 2015.

1. BlackestSoul

BlackestSoul Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Cool cool! cheers all. From what all have said and what i've taken down, the one that was mentioned most as a liked game was FF VI, followed by FF IX and then equally mentioned was FF IV and FF VII. I do slightly remember number 6, though i played it when much younger, so the new look of number 7 drew me in more. I shall have to play it again to experience Kefka again...

Above all the bosses, Kefka seemed to be a popular character, and Gilgamesh was also a liked boss. Bosses to stay away from are types like Yunalesca, and anything that takes hours to complete.

I'm intrigued at everyones responses and cheers for yer time of commenting. this has given me an idea of what certain people like in their games. y'all are legends!

2. Nivlacart

Nivlacart Glue my hand to the tablet pen. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1) What is your favourite FF game? 12. Huge world with vast lands to explore, I really enjoyed that sense of raw adventure. Also Fran and Balthier.

2) What is your least favourite? 13 is really bad. I tried to give it a chance, forced myself to play it through. The two sequels got better, but the story and characters are still rubbish.

3) Favourite Boss? Least Favourite Boss? Bosses you loved to hate? Bosses in Final Fantasy X are great. I hate fighting Eidolons in FF13. Really arbitrary, no point to making it so difficult too when in the story it's supposedly an 'empowering moment'. Can't believe some of them you'd have to grind just to beat them. And grinding is such a pain in the ass in FF13.

4) Anyone played FF online? I liked it. It does everything a textbook MMO should do but correctly. I played a healer class so I could get parties easier, but it was so tough doing quests on my own, I couldn't keep up.

5) Favourite & Hated characters? Fran and Balthier are the best. I really hate most of the characters from FF13. Snow is a really pretentious annoying idiot, trying to pull of the reckless hero character but in all the wrong ways. Lightning is an emotionless, boring Mary Sue fanfiction character. Vanille is fanservice.

Sazh and Noel are alright.

Aleks likes this.
  3. stupid enough to like FF13

stupid enough to like FF13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    All of the Eidolon battles are entirely skill-based. They exist to smash your face in if you haven't figured out how to play the game.

Sailerius likes this.
  4. Strange_Dragon_99

Strange_Dragon_99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    1) What is your favourite FF game? My all time favorite is FF4. It was the first one I ever played and so has a special place in my nerd-heart. LOL. 

2) What is your least favourite? I can't say that I have a "least favorite". I like them all to varying degrees, but I haven't played the online Final Fantasy games as much as I would like.

3) Favourite Boss? Least Favourite Boss? Bosses you loved to hate? My favorite boss of all time is Elder Wyrm from FF 12. I just think it's cool looking and a challenging battle too. My least favorite is X-Death from FF 5. I just never could get into that battle and it annoyed me so... As far as bosses I love to hate: Ozma from FF 9. That giant rainbow ball still kills me on a regular basis. But still...I keep going back as many times as it takes to defeat it.

4) Anyone played FF online? I've played some online but not nearly as much as I would like. It bores me.... Too grindy and I am not a huge fan of MMORPGs anyway, so I probably won't play online as much.

5) Favourite & Hated characters? Favorite Characters: Cecil (FF4), Terra (FF6), Lulu (FFX), Ashe (FF12), and Lightning (FF13). Least Favorites: Irvine (FF8), Amarant (FF9), Penelo (FF12), and Hope (FF13).

5. Sailerius

Sailerius Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    1) What is your favourite FF game?

FFXIII is by far the best. It's the only one with good gameplay, good story, and good characters.

2) What is your least favourite?

FFVI and FFIX are a tie for the snoozefest of a story and cardboard cutout archetype characters. I honestly can't even remember half the party members in them.

3) Favourite Boss? Least Favourite Boss? Bosses you loved to hate?

The final boss of XIII-2 is one of the most intense boss fights I've ever encountered in a game. It had the perfect amount of difficulty, velocity, and tension that made it a pulse-pounding showdown. Least favorite... I don't really have one. As for one I love to hate, dayum SEYMOUR. Seymour Flux still gives me nightmares years later.

5) Favourite & Hated characters?

Best characters are Hope, Vanille, and Lightning. I can't really think of any characters I hated. Most of the characters in FFVI and FFIX are so poorly-written that there isn't even enough characterization there for me to dislike. I guess the worst character is Zidane, because I've never played another game where the protagonist molested a female character. That was pretty horrible.

6. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

When the hell did that happen? The airship scene? That's the most inappropriate sexual scene I can recall in that game, and a mite more innocent than other FF games.

Spoiler

like 7 (Cloud literally pimps both himself and Aeris out to some crime boss guy), Tactics (Delita, who at the end of the story is the protagonist whether you play as him or not doesn't stop short of forcing Ovelia into marriage so he can seize the throne. Then he kills her, self defense or no, he forced the scenario in the first place by manipulating her and the rest of the cast so coldly.) and hell, in 8 I'd argue that there's a better case for saying Rinoa molested Squall than to say Zidane did Garnet. At least Zidane backed off when Garnet told him off, Rinoa spent the first half of the game chasing Squall relentlessly no matter how hard he pushed her away, forcing him on dates and dances that he clearly wanted no part of. God people are to sensitive these days, by such standards most 12-15 year old's could probably be said to have 'molested' someone at some point in their lives.

Rant over, my favorite Final Fantasy would have to be Tactics, and my least favorite...9 I guess. Didn't much like Zidane as a character either, and something about the battle flow always felt pretty boring to me. Favorite boss would be Weigraf and Ramza's one-on-one fight, regardless of the fact that the first time I played the game that fight was so difficult that I had to restart the game because I couldn't beat him.

Favorite character, who knows? Wiegraf or Zaalbag, maybe. Or Balthier. Least favorite would have to be Vaan, hands down. Everything annoying about Titus, but stripped of the endearing qualities that made me begrudgingly like Titus, and also stripped of his role in the story to the point that his presence in the game stops having any point 1/4 of the way through.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2016
  7. freezingfeathers

freezingfeathers Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

It's the mainstream FF, FF7 xDDD

The first game I played over 99 gameplay hours!

FF12, what's the storyline again? Lolololollll. I always forgot the story as there's too much freedom for the game!

I only remember running thru endless maps, getting lost in maps, where's the savepoint~

When someone was killed, I was like, what just happened? Who's he? Why the land suddenly rained? Is he that important? :D

Fav: FF7's hardest boss (The underwater one, Neo ??)

Least: All FF10's Seymour boss .__.

4) Anyone played FF online?

Nah~ xDD

Fav's Yuna from FF10!

Hated character is Seymour, feels like the weakest antagonist .__.

8. Sythian Bard

Sythian Bard Self Proclaimed Beard Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I have to say VIII. Even though it was a love/hate relationship for me, when I think about the Final Fantasy Series this number always brings a smile to my face. Squall and Rinoa were my best friends. I loved them. I loved their story. I loved their romance. I cried when it ended and they got to be together. Maybe this was because Aerith was ridiculously slaughtered in VII...I dunno! Anyway, VIII takes me to my happy place.

That said, I enjoyed VI, IX, and XII.

XIII. No question about it. I did not like the World Maps disappearing in X. But XIII took away every form of self exploration. There was absolutely NO WHERE to go but to the finish. The fighting system was dull. It felt very Tactics like. I didn't really get a say as to where they went, I watched a movie and chose who hit who in the fight. I played ten minutes of XIII-2 and vomited that spoil right back to the store.

Favorite Boss: Kefka

Least Favorite: XII's final. It was like...potion...he's dead. Huh? The End?

Loved to Hate: Kuja and Seymour. I think they had the same mother. They were like spoiled little rich boys who wanted the leading ladies love. Enjoyed kicking their tales.

Not yet.

Favorites: My friends, Squall and Rinoa of course. Yuna, Rikku, Snow, and the Cids.

Hated: Lightning, Rikku, and Laguna.

gRaViJa, Aleks and Alexander Amnell like this.
  9. stupid enough to like FF13

First Language:
    English
    Even ignoring the sidepaths in Cocoon...Gran Pulse.

10. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That's like, one chapter's worth of an area, ignoring the other 12 chapters in the game... Sure, you can argue that more time is spent on GP than some other areas, but you still have to go through A LOT to even GET to GP! By contrast, 12 is mostly free-roam from the start.

11. stupid enough to like FF13

First Language:
    English

Almost every game in the series starts off linear with various side areas to explore, only giving the player complete freedom to roam and complete optional content new or previously unfinished late in the game. For example, FFI, FFIIIFFIV, FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFXTactics...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
  12. Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine Artist/ Developer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish

I think Final Fantasy 8, these days... even though it's a very close call with FF 7 and 9.

XII. It was just endless grinding with no memorable story, characters or music like in the previous games :S

Ultimecia is my favourite. I loved to hate that metal crane thing from 7. So random : -D

Nope.

Ultimecia is my favorite character, for some reason. She's just so cool, evil and powerful, and surrounded by interesting theories about her origins. I hated almost the entire cast of FF XII, and Tidus from FF X.

13. stupid enough to like FF13

First Language:
    English
    1. Favourite FF? Hmmm...I, II, V, VII, XIII, LR:FFXIII, and Tactics. No chance in Pandaemonium that I could pick just one as my favourite. I is a classic with simple-but-awesome gameplay and story that laid the framework for many JRPGs. II has quite an interesting stat and levelling system and a surprisingly-deep and dark plot for a game from the NES/Famicom era. V has an awesome Job system and a whimsical plot. VII has an awesome story, solid gameplay, and a very interesting world and epic twists. Tactics has an even better job system and an interesting blend between the Lion War plot and the usual-JRPG-villainry plot. XIII has fantastic characters and character development, and a very fun battle system that actually manages to make every ability useful. LR:FFXIII is an awesome army-of-one ARPG twist on the XIII formula, coupled with a rich setting and all the fun of garb customization.

2. Least favourite? Oooh, that's easy. IV. There's a lot of dumb plot moments, even without how Golbez's schemes are entirely reliant on the heroes being absolutely stupid. It comes after III, which was about "dark is not necessarily bad", and goes "you are automatically a better person by being a Paladin". The character development is really shallow, and most of the characters are bland anyway. (Save for Edward.) And there's very little ability to customize your party like other games in the series, even in the remakes.

3. Favourite bosses? I suppose all of the final bosses get to qualify for that. Too many to list, really. Least favourite? Astos, Calcabrina (especially the great bit of game design that happens if Cecil's KOed at the end of the battle), Atomos, Wrexsoul (yay Banish!), everyone at Riovanes Castle. Love to hate? The Lamia Queen of II (gimme my Ribbon Gold Hairpin, you jerk!).

4. Haven't played the MMO games. I do play Record Keeper!

5. Favourite characters? Josef, Ricard, Edward, Kain (in The After Years), Siren (in FFV; she's awesome for a minor villain), Cloud, Aerith, Ramza, Rapha (who is sorely underrated), Lightning, Hope, Vanille, Caius.

Hated? Everyone in IV who's not Edward, the useless ones in The After Years, Umaro, Auron, Argath, Marach.

14. DamianFatale

DamianFatale Chocobo Knight Member

First Language:
    English
    My favorite Final Fantasy is VI. 

My least favorite is Mystic Quest. 

My favorite boss is probably Kefka. 

It's not called Final Fantasy online, its either XI or XIV. Im an avid player of XIV, which also happens to be the best mmo I've ever played.

Terra, Celes, Locke, Mog.. Tidus, Yuna, Lulu, Edgar, Sabin.. theres just too many. 

15. AnimaScorpius

AnimaScorpius Modern Mage/WorldCrafter Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My favorite is FF 2/4 because its the first game I played when i was a lil kid, Its what made me fall in love with RPGs! That game is the reason i am here on this forum creating games with my friends. :)

16. dkun

dkun Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

My favorite FF game's Final Fantasy IX. Playing it when I was younger may be a factor in this, though I think it's mostly because I really loved the story. I think it's
    also because the battle system is simple yet fun enough to make me enjoy it (I absolutely hate preparing equipment and such--especially when you can potentially make your
    characters very weak. I don't know why, but I hate being given too much options. It'd have to be so that there's virtually no "weak build" or that the possible paths you
    can take are obvious though not too obvious. I literally spend hours customizing characters just so that I can get the "best" ever.)

My least favorite? I think it has to be 7. I have tried to play it again and again (from the start) my interest in playing it keeps fading and I just
    feel bored (and this is the reason why I have not yet even finished the first disc). I might have to "restart" again to try to enjoy it because I pretty much forgot the
    story again.

I don't think I have one favorite boss. I do like most bosses though (except for those frustrating ones I've had trouble to beat). Least favorite boss? Well, there's no question
    about it: Seymour. Ugh, really, I think he is the reason why I hadn't finished FFX. I think the final Seymour boss fight (well, I think it was the final one) really had me stuck.
    I was a really bad player then. I thought back then that buffs, debuffs and DoTs were not worth it so I was surprised when Bio defeated one of Seymour's "forms". 

Yep! I play FFXIV.

I don't think I have a hated/favorite character. Well, if I had to pick, then I'd pick pretty much all of the characters from various FFs.

17. Sakuri

Sakuri Today is Today Veteran

First Language:
    English
    FF7 FTW

18. Talotta91

Talotta91 Veteran Veteran

Final fantasy tactis, worse boss was Velius no idea why i couldnt ever beat him :( favorite Antihero would be Delita just goes nuts at the end and kills everyone :D

19. Aleks

Aleks Pixel Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English

Final Fantasy VI. It has a well rounded cast of characters, a great plotline (would make a sick movie) and was really the first in the series to offer the audience a story that deviated from the typical FF title with the WoL theme and drive toward a more mature storyline with characters that possessed a far more complex history (who all possessed stark differences).

Final Fantasy XII almost took the spot though, because its lore is so rich and well executed and its cast is almost entirely entertaining/good. So count that as my second favorite. ;)

Final Fantasy XIII overall, though I really loved the premise of the first game. It just ended up being a soap opera, a very typical teenager AU fanfiction. Fang was super awesome though.

Favorite boss has to be Seymour, simply because he consistently offered the hardest fights in the series since VI and VIII. Least favorite is Sephiroth because I expected more and was just underwhelmed by how easy it was. A boss I love to hate is definitely Orphan (and the one before it)  in FFXIII. It wasn't that it was difficult but because it was frustratingly long. I kind of liked that though. lol

Yup. I really like it, just don't have the money to justify continuing it.

Favorite character is Terra Branford and most "hated" (such a strong word lol) is Lightning. I just found her so annoyingly flat...wait, no, not her, it is definitely Snow. He was just an embarrassment. I don't know if it was the dub only, but I really disliked him. A lot.

Some other favorites though: Larsa, Bartz, Fang, Edge, Rydia, Krile, Rinoa, Yuffie, Cid, Barret, Red XIII, Edgar, Maduin, Gabranth, Tidus, Rikku, Ramza, Agrias, Beatrix, Vivi and Eiko.