Final Fantasy Series

Gomi Boy

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
the truth
Primarily Uses
You know, I haven't really been using my PSP for anything at all lately. I'll give it a shot. Where would you rate it in terms of difficulty? The tone and aesthetic I've seen are things I associate more with Vandal Hearts, which was just ridiculous at times. I'll admit Vandal Hearts' flavour was one of the things that kept me hesitant about picking FFT back up.

also ugh that LITTLE MONEY thing got turned into a dumb catchphrase for an LPer I used to follow and I haven't been able to stand it since

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaelan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's pretty similar to Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. It seems really hard when you don't quite grasp all of the mechanics that well yet, and you'll definitely get your ass handed to you a few times, but it's not actually a hard game once you figure out what's going on and how everything works.

servantb7

Servantb7
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My thoughts on the FF games I have played so far.

VI-Great characters, very difficult (which is a good thing). I love how there isn't one main character, but rather a lot of different stories all coming together. The old school graphics make it lose some appeal (at least to me), but still a great game. Just finished it this week!

VII- The first FF I played. So good. I love the characters, the sidequests, and the story. The minigames are excellent as well. No complaints about this one.

IX- A different, lighter feel than most of the other games. Fun characters, loved Vivi. Had good interaction and relationships between a lot of the different characters.

X-Great battle system; loved Blitzball....but really didn't like the game as a whole. The characters (especially Tidus) really annoyed me and just weren't that good. I know the story is regarded by many as great, but personally I hated it. To much whining about how Yuna shouldn't have to die, blah blah blah. It also was very linear with little to explore until the very end of the game.

X-2: Really fun battle system, the dress-sphere/job switching was pretty cool. I liked collecting the different jobs and learning all the moves that went with each of them. The difficulty of battles was also good, it required you to use the different jobs strategically. The characters and story weren't good, though....really cheesy, but if you go in expecting that, its not too bad. The minigames and exploration were also a lot of fun in this one.

XII-I loved how open it is; by far the best FF in that aspect. You can explore all over huge, beautiful maps. The Hunt Quests provide as much if not more fun and challenge than the main storyline. The characters and story are pretty good. Not as good as VI or VII, but not bad either. Basch and Balthier were good characters; the rest were largely forgettable. I liked how the story had a political side, and I thought the villain was well done.

Still waiting to play XIII and XIII-2. And possibly XIV: A Realm Reborn when it comes out.

Νύξ

"AVE DISCORDIA"!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Ive played all the Final Fantasy's and here is my opinion of them all:

FF1: Great game and this is what started it all.

FF2: It was a "O.K' game, the villian was awesome but the leveling system was atrocious, it introduced the chocobo and Cid.

FF3: It was a good game can't really say much about this game except the Iron Giant is tough.

FF4: Awesome game, great character development, memorable characters, villian was really cool too.

FF5: Job Class was simply amazing, villian's character design was extremely cool, the only thing i wish this game had more was story, also has one of the most saddest scenes in FF history.

FF6: What can i say about this game? Great characters, best FF villian imo, the story was amazing, the opera scene was beautful, and its my 2nd favorite FF.

FF7: A game that skyrocketed the RPG genre in 1997. Story simply amazing, characters very memorable, villian was really cool, my 3rd favorite FF.

FF8: My very first FF i played. The characters were awesome, except Squall acted like a jerk sometimes, the story was sort of a mess and theres the Squall is dead theory and the R=U theory which are pretty interesting. However the soundtrack is amazing, SeeD and The Landing are two of my favorite from the game, card game was really fun spent hours on it and the other side-quests you can do.

FF9: My favorite FF, Characters were perfect, the atmopshere and design of the game was perfect, Chocobo Hot and Cold was so much fun and spent hours, the villian when i was younger i thought she was a woman until i found out it was a guy was pretty shocking, also has one of the best openings to a villian, (the scene where it finally shows Kuja) also had one of the hardest optional bosses in FF history.

FF10: Really fun game but something that kind of ruined it for me big time was no world map exploration, but i got over it, the characters were really cool, sometimes Tidus acts like a little kid but hes tolerable however Wakka was annoying saying "ya" at the end of every sentence. The story was pretty solid, Blitzball i hated at first but i loved it after a while and spent alot of time on it, both villians were pretty cool (Seymour and Sin).

FF11: I have nothing to say about this since i haven't played it:

FF12: The story was "O.K" it wasn't terrible. The characters were pretty bland i liked Basch and Balthier and Fran. I hated the battle system at first because it wasn't like the previous FF's but it grew on me and i liked it. The enormous landscape of FF12 was extremely fun to explore and the Hunts were amazing. Yiazmat (optional boss) was one of the longest FF bosses i ever fought and he beat me quite a few times until i leveled a bit more and then i beat him, Quickenings were amazing too.

FF13: Don't even get me started.
Well I liked 7 and 8.They were good.Squall and cloud are at the top of my favorite hero's list ,squall at the top because theres something about cloud that makes me like squal a bit more.I liked wakka but yea I'll admit the "Ya" at the end of every he said was a bit over done.Now that i think about it Rikku would be my favorite hero if she qualified as a hero...She was more of a side kick.Played 12 and took to the game-play alot better than the other FF game styles cause I'v been playing Dissidia for almost a year before i decided to buy 12 and the two game style's are simalar enough.havent realy played the others.There's no Big story line linking the games so i played what ever took my fancy.

Dark Phoenix

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Back bein' about what this is bein' about, I've been playing FF5 on and off lately and I think I gotta call it my favourite FF game. I know a lot of people don't like it for its tone and its plot, but it's legitimately fun to play and that's not a thing I can say about a lot of titles. It's also probably the best the job change system has ever been done, too.
I just ran through FF5 Advance again over the last week. It's still a hilarious riot to play, and the job system is really well done (as mentioned, though, Tactics does it better, though that may be because the job system just seems to fit a game like Tactics better).

And no Final Fantasy is non-linear; it's not the style of the series. Practicallly every game in the series has optional content, going all the way back to getting X-Calibur and fighting Warmech in the original.

tpasmall

The Mauve Avenger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm about 27 hours into XIII right now, and I have to say, this game is terrible gameplay wise, but I think it has a great story. Being able to read all the stuff in the datalog and really figure things out is pretty cool. Also, Lightning might be one of my favorite protagonists from the whole series. Looking forward to finishing this and picking up XIII-2.

Demiurge

404: Title not found
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'd like to rejoin this thread with the following statements.

I enjoyed both FFXIII and FFX-2. Not the best games made, but fun nevertheless.

I'm eagerly waiting for FFXIII-Versus (As I'm guessing we all are).

Final Fantasy X is best Final Fantasy.

The reason I got a PS3 was for Kingdom Hearts 3. If they decide to release it on any other console..... (provided they actually decide to release it)

SergeX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Well, lets go:

FFIV: Good plot, but too "maniqueist" for me. Its much good (light) x evil (dark). I dont like much this cuz is too simple. But ok, its a good game with good characters.

FFVI: I played until the part that Gestal (?) is murdered by Kefka. I really dont enjoyed much this game. I think that is overated.

FVII: I love this game. The world, the characters, the materia system, the plot..Everything is genius. One of bests FVIIs

FVIII: Also like this one, but is weaker than FVII. The characters are good also, but the plot sometimes its not..But I like Ultimecia. Regardless, its a part of FF golden age.

FIX: the end of FF golden age. I LOVE this game. The plot is amazing, the characters charismatic and I love Kuja, his narcisistic motivations are original.But I really dislike that "Necron" in the end...

FFX: this game is not too good as could be. the plot seems too linear and boring sometimes. I detest Seymour, he was too maked to seems like the new sephiroth, but fails to be it. He is irrelevant to the story, its just a pain in the ass that you must fight in order to proceed. the game have its qualities, but starts here the decay of FF series.

FXII: WORST MAIN CHARACTER EVER (Van). WORST FEMME CHARACTER EVER (Penelo). The characters are horrible. The only ones I like are Balthier and Ashe. The "human race vs Occuria" is a good plot, but the realization could be SO MUCH better... I dont like much Vayne. I had fun with the battle system though. The soundtrack is awful, so weak...Cant believe that who composed the Tatics soundtrack done this trash. The only good song is Esper Battle.

FFT: One of best FFs. Everything is perfect: plot, system, corrupt Church tryind to gain power... <3 EPIC soundtrack and remarkable characters.

Well I expect that someday FF stop relying too much in graphics and care more about story and characters, that nowadays the only quality is the beauty of graphics. I hope someday a new FF give me the same feeling that I used to have when I played VII, VIII, IX, IV and Tatics.

I kinda understand why SMT is getting too popular: with the fall of FF, people need to search for thing more interesting. The name FF does not have the same power than before. You can say that XIII have good ratings in famitsu and etc, but I dont care. the new games have no "heart".

RyanA

Happy Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is my favourite FF games :3 That soundtrack is just...MAHGAD!! d(>w<)b

LionHeart48

Novam Vitam
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just got FFT for my psp, i just need time to play it.

Dark Phoenix

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just got FFT for my psp, i just need time to play it.
The only thing I suggest is, go into it understanding that the animations do lag quite a bit for some reason. I'd say it's the only downside to the PSP version compared to the PSX version. Everything else is much, much better. However, I do know that the lag bothers some people (I didn't seem to mind it much myself).

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@DarkPhoenix

Honestly, I find the lag just kind of fades into the background the more I played it. It didn't bother me much. The only exception is don't do Balthier's x4 attack thing with a magic gun holy crap it takes forever.

It also pains me to say this, but actually the single best version of FFT is the iOS version, since its basically WotL with the skill lag removed. (I hate iPads...)

Dark Phoenix

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@DarkPhoenix

Honestly, I find the lag just kind of fades into the background the more I played it. It didn't bother me much. The only exception is don't do Balthier's x4 attack thing with a magic gun holy crap it takes forever.

It also pains me to say this, but actually the single best version of FFT is the iOS version, since its basically WotL with the skill lag removed. (I hate iPads...)
Yeah, it was the same for me.  I just know that some people are bothered by that sort of thing.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Rinoa being Ultimecia actually makes a storyline better. It was just oversight by writers to let that happen and thus they shot it officially down.

LionHeart48

Novam Vitam
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Also the "Squall is dead" theory was an interesting read.

Holder

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This was an interesting watch: 

Final Fantasy games feature a lot of religious symbolism. But if you look closely, those references to religion actually form a very interesting pattern; the Final Fantasy games are actually against organized religion...and even the concept of God himself.

Gomi Boy

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
the truth
Primarily Uses
That guy's voice is irritating and this hardly breaks any new ground. Whoah, you mean this game where the Catholic Church is run by ghosts and you kill their god at the end might be saying stuff about religion???

Calling it "anti-religion" or anything similar is just pointless sensationalism, though. It's sourcing its stuff from history, like a lot of games. Religious hegemony is a topic that should be possible to broach without people hooting and hollering about how it's hateful of the real, actual Church (although in Final Fantasy's case it was hardly handled in a very subtle or nuanced way).

e: also the whole "whoah guys don't flame me over this suuuupercontroversial video!" stuff is really, really stupid. this guy needs to get over himself, because as far as insight goes this isn't much better than one of those "my top ten X" videos.

Bad Wolf

Standard-bearer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Final Fantasy IX was and probably always will be my favorite in the series. The ending was fantastic. 

I also have much love for Tactics and it's convoluted story. 

Zozma

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've at least started every main Final Fantasy title, and throughout my "career" as a gamer it has been one of the most polarizing series. I've replayed FF7 probably more than I've replayed just about any other game, and only Baldur's Gate 2 and Oblivion can compete with the amount of hours I've plugged into Final Fantasy Tactics. I'll follow suit and list my opinions on the games I've played.

FF1: A good start to the series, and I could see it being pretty revolutionary for its time. Can't say it's aged all that well. This was a Final Fantasy before the franchise knew what its strengths were, but if you can chalk its failings up to age I'd recommend giving it a go.

FF3: Nintendo Hard without any satisfying payoffs. Expect a grindfest on par with MMORPGs in their early years. The class system starts off interesting, but classes progrsesively become powered up versions of prior staples, and the more unique classes either become obsolete or start that way to begin with.

FF6: I think I view this one in the same way a lot of fans view FF7. I think it's good, but overrated. It had a surprisingly deep combat system that doesn't trade off unique character traits for accessibility like 7 and 8 did. The core cast is colorful, and there's enough interaction for them to be engaging and memorable. Alternatively, it has difficulty establishing a central protagonist, which really works against it. Character arcs either stop being relevant (Cyan), are never made relevant (Strago/Relm), or never appeal to me in the first place (Gau). I don't see anything overly praisworthy of Kefka as a villain; his claim to fame of being "the only Final Fantasy Villain who Succeeded" is as shallow as it is factually inaccurate, and by the end of the game he's just another misanthropic nihilist in the same vein as CoD or Exdeath.

FF7: Probably my favorite Final Fantasy, albeit not the one I'd consider to be the best. The cast of characters, for the most part, have a lot of synergy, most of them have a strong relationship with either the primary (Sephiroth) or secondary (Shinra) antagonist, and the game's art and atmosphere make it, in my opinion, the first Final Fantasy game that has the massive scope and scale the series is known for. Criticisms aimed at Cloud for being "emo" are unfounded, given that he's a generally optimistic and proactive (if somewhat bland, at times), protagonist. The story is engaging, albeit very confused and jumbled at times. It has a good core villain in Sephiroth, who is intimidating and competent enough for the player to feel threatened by his appearances. Its environmental message is strong without being preachy, although it feels rather confused at times ("Oil, Cloud!"). Overall, a very strong title that stands on its own, which is why it becomes more and more cheapened with every sequel and prequel.

FF8: Didn't care for it. I think FF8 failed with its characters, its setting, its story, and its mechanics. Drawing Out was mindless busy work, and while junctioning was an interesting system that promoted experimentation, it felt pieced together and sometimes arbitrary. Its twist has to be the dumbest and least fulfilling out of any of the other titles. I didn't hate Squall and Riona enough to wish they'd get lost in the vaccuum of space, but I wasn't crossing my fingers for them to make it, either.

FF9: The best Final Fantasy game, in my opinion, pulling together the strongest and most functional components of prior games, creating a rich, colorful, and engaging world, and wrapping it all up in a strong theme that's relevant to the player. From its bombastic and cinematic opening hour to its conclusion, FF9 continues to impress. It plods at times, and some of the dungeons are so annoying in their gimmicks that it actually discourages a playthrough, but overall I'd say FF9 is mostly hits and few misses.

FF10: A fifty-fifty experience for me. Great ideas, poor execution. Tidus had the potential to be a great protagonist, if they'd only couple his whininess with actual suffering. I neither need nor want a paragon of masculinity serving as the protagonist of my video games, but Square's inability to really follow through with Tidus' and Jecht's relationship really hurts Tidus as a character. Bad voice acting/direction at parts doesn't help, either. I despite 10 both for the sphere grid and somehow making variations of it a staple of future installments. The plot has a tendency to meander (especially with the painful wedding sidetrack), but it has, in my opinion, the best twist out of any Final Fantasy game that really pulls the separate elements of the story together.
FF12: I hated 12. I hated virtually every last piece of it, from its gameplay to its setting to its encyclopedic approach to storytelling to its endless filler to the absence of characters that are Vaan, Penelo, and Fran. Its attempts to recreate the political intrigue of FFT failed miserably, largely due to a lack of factions we can care or be sympathetic toward. Vaan is a total waste of space; whenever he pipes up during a dramatic scene I half expected Balthier to turn to him and demand, "Who the hell are you?" It has no sense of pacing. It has no sense of flow. It is stilted and shallow. And I can't stand it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

How do you cure sleep problem? It has been 7 months and it's 3 AM now..
Darn you, Seals! Why do you gotta be so cute when on land?:kaoluv:
So dragonbones getting laggy xD
I even removed the fingers armatures.

Have to remake this guy after crashing ( corrupted file).
:rtear:

Although limited to only this shop for room decorations, I like this aspect for previewing items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnthonyDewitt