Final Fantasy Series

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by yieldingmydestiny, Mar 21, 2012.

1. crimcrim

crimcrim :d Veteran

First Language:
    English
    guys look at this ->

this is what square enix is doing with your childhood.

taking some aspects of the classics they made and ruining them with boring gameplay and using the 'old-school' aesthetic as its only selling feature.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is the first time I've seen the trailer, I never cared for it, but my god...this looks like total hell. But with like I saw in the trailer like "Cloud joins your party!" if it was like tactics meets dissidia then that would be cool to have different FF charaters join the player's party. Who doesn't want Ramza kicking ass along side the other heroes?

3. Jawnsunn

Jawnsunn glass cannon Member

First Language:
    English
    The best part?

You have to pay money to go to Midgar.

yo Frick that.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    SE...don't go Capcom on me...please...SE don't go Capcom on me! 

5. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    God, I hate All the Bravest. I actually bought it and tried it out. It's just so bad...

You have to pay if you want to go to other FF locations (like Midgar or Zanarkand), need to pay if you 

want to revive all your characters quicker (otherwise, it's gonna be an hour and a half wait), and you need to pay

if you want to buy a new, official FF character...via random selection. All the gameplay is just swiping...and yeah, that's it.

Just swiping.

I think the rush job of this can be summed up in the logo itself. You know how most, if not all FF games have amazing

logo artwork? Even the other mobile games like Dimension, and Airborne Brigade. For ATB, it's just some

quickly made color overlays over some sprites. I could make that logo. It's a total nitpick, yeah, but I think it really sums up the carelessness of the developers.  >_>

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    SE makes a game where you can make your dream team and you fight with finger swipes...Capcom makes a game where you can make your own Megaman, and there is a button where you can press it and the game plays itself. And both of them are trying to jerk off the nostalgia boners of the fans...and its not working!

7. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm not going to pick up All the Bravest, nobody likes it so why. It's a pretty obvious nostalgia-milker with nothing else to it's name, but why buy a game like that when you can find sprite rips very easily, too easily, find them look at them there's your nostalgia now you don't have to spend money on it. :3 Seriously thought they are very cute, BUT NOT WORTH THE PRICE cute.

Also fans had already made sprite edits of a lot of these guys in FF6 style anyway usually with complete sheets and poses and walking and everything and yeah.

8. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    I gave up on the series with X.  X was just so absolutely TERRIBLE... and then I tried XII, and it doesn't feel like Final Fantasy anymore.  Have no intention of trying XIII; everything I've heard points to it being awful.

IMO, this is the worst time to be an RPG fan ever.  I'm seriously out of games to look for; been building up my classic collection while waiting for periodic good games, and now I can't seem to think of any left to get, and I still don't see anything new out there worth getting.

Guess it rocks if you're an FPS fan, though.  You can choose from a million identical clones...

9. Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy   Veteran

First Language:
    the truth
    sorry to hear about yr. crippling nostalgia problem

Jawnsunn, Quigon and SLEEP like this.
  10. Zack

Zack Perverted King of Demons Veteran

Right behind you; breathing down your neck.
    First Language:
    English
    How dare they besmirch the name of Final Fantasy by making that horrible piece of trash!!! Final Fantasy was my second favorite game; first being Dragon Quest; and then they do THIS to it!?! I thought that the battles were a glitch or something, I cannot even tell what's going on. Although I do agree that FF went downhill since X.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Why does everyone say it went down hill after X? Its more like a roller coaster. There are good games and there are bad games, to say after X it went downhill is inaccurate. If you want to talk about main titles then that's up to you I enjoyed XII XIII and XIII-2 <-(though that is debatable)

12. LionHeart48

LionHeart48 Novam Vitam Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Final Fantasy never felt the same after X probably because the creator (sakaguchi or as some other people like to call him The Gooch) left Squaresoft and the last FF project he worked on was X.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  13. Jawnsunn

Jawnsunn glass cannon Member

First Language:
    English
    Do you live under a rock? Do you wear sunglasses that are painted black on the outside?

Ni No Kuni, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Etrian Odyssey 4 are good RPGs released this year.

And there's Ys Memories in Celceta, Pandora's Tower, and Soul Hackers to look forward to later.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  14. Dark Phoenix

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I forgot about Ni No Kuni.  I don't have a 3DS (and don't have any plans to get one), and the other two you mentioned are 3DS exclusive, so...

The whole point of that post was not to bemoan the lack of good RPG's at this point, but because I was hoping people'd point me towards some good RPG's to try now.  Because I've got to be honest, I'm not hearing about must-play RPG's right now.

But you know, despite being a veteran of Shining Force, I've never played a Fire Emblem game.  Maybe it's time that ended.

15. tpasmall

tpasmall The Mauve Avenger Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, I finally finished FFIV: The After Years, and I have to say, it was disappointing. Especially the final boss. Hands down the most boring final boss in any of the games. The story was ok, but if it weren't for the already established relationship with the characters from FFIV, this game would have fallen flat on its face. For a game that took over 100 hours to complete, there was only about 1 hour of actual story time in it. Pathetic.

16. Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy   Veteran

First Language:
    the truth
    The After Years is an RPG Maker game in most regards, and I don't mean one of the good ones. It's really an impressively terrible cashgrab; notably, it even manages to make FFIV dumber by association via the stupid "reveal" about the crystals.

(spoiler because if you gave a sheep about this you shouldn't: they're used by the dumb alien supergods to record stuff about life on the planet. never mind that they explicitly served a very different function in the original game. for bonus pandering, it's strongly implied that the same is true of every other crystal or crystalline object throughout the series. that's literally all it is, after all that buildup.)

Everything else is either a token homage to something else in the series, or else some rookie designer's bad idea.

Also the only original tracks in the game are jangly overproduced bulk-noise that may or may not have simply stolen another song from the franchise and layered a bunch of bell synths over top of it.

I guess the Man in Black is cool? And some of the sprites in the PSP version are pretty good? Those are literally the only good things I can say about it, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
  17. LionHeart48

LionHeart48 Novam Vitam Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah I enjoyed FFIV on the psp alot. The After Years...not so much, it felt very boring to me.

18. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I also have beat the After Years once upon a time and wow yeah it was A WASTE OF TIME why did they lobotomise the whole cast of FF4? Also the whole plot felt like it should have been used for Dissadia or another crossover game really stupid. The final boss battle ppsh what about the fact they shoved 20 boss rehashes before the final battle and they weren't even hard that was lame.

I did think Cecil's kid growing up friends with Yang's kid then also looking up to Kain would have been hella kyoot if the story was written well but, well, forget that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
  19. arekpowalan

arekpowalan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The whole concept of the Lunar Subterrace in the Years After shouldn't be working that way in that game anyway. 100+ floors dungeon with nostalgic boss rush work pretty well as a bonus dungeon, but it's not what you'd put in the main plot unless it's the game's premise from the first place. The game should have come with something new and more dramatic... like what they did with the other parts of the game.

For example, I wouldn't mind if the game had featured Ceodore as the leader all the way to the end. With Cecil and Rosa being that boring, even Ghost Anna made a better protagonist.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  20. Dark Phoenix

First Language:
    English
    I liked the story of The After Years, up to the whole True Moon thing.  Then it sort of devolves into Final Fantasy series fanservice...