Final Fantasy Series

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I have been playing FFXII recently and I gotta ask.

Did the English voice actors ate the mic or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

voymasa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There were better games than Chrono Trigger on SNES.

Tales of Phantasia, Tactics Ogre, and Rudra No Hihou in particular.

Not saying CT was bad, but games past 1995-1996 on the SNES were better.
Unfortunately for us Americans, we didn't get those games in the US until either 1) emulators on PC came out, or 2) ports/re-releases were done (as in the case of Tactics Ogre) for a newer system.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hehe silly me. I was referring to FFXII. :)

FFXIII voice acting is fine.

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
And see to be honest, from a gameplay standpoint, a few issues aside, I really enjoyed the battle system in FFXIII - and the story, up until whenever Orphan got mentioned and it turned into some weird bloated mess. I wish Jihl Nabaat was the main bad guy, I really really do.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My favorite era of FF is FFV-FFT (5, 6, 7, Tactics) The only FF game I really love that doesn't fit in that grouping is FFX-2.

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My favorite era of FF is FFV-FFT (5, 6, 7, Tactics) The only FF game I really love that doesn't fit in that grouping is FFX-2.
BUT THAT'S WHEN THE SERIES WENT DOWNHILL I MEAN IT WAS FUN AND GAMES THAT'S NOT FINAL FANTASY

FFX-2's awesome. Great battle system, ridiculous soundtrack, no Meg Ryan.

LionHeart48

Novam Vitam
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think most of us can agree that the 90's and early 2000's had the greatest RPG's of all time.

voymasa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VI and X are obviously the best, I also liked VIII, XII and Tactics.
BUT THAT'S WHEN THE SERIES WENT DOWNHILL I MEAN IT WAS FUN AND GAMES THAT'S NOT FINAL FANTASY

FFX-2's awesome. Great battle system, ridiculous soundtrack, no Meg Ryan.
Final Fantasy IV and VI were really in the peak of the FF series, overall. A great balance between gameplay mechanics, storyline, and aesthetically pleasing graphics (not to downplay the graphics of later entries).

Did anyone else notice that the graphics of FF V appear to be a downward step from FF IV? It's almost as if on the graphic and visual it goes FFV, FFIV, FFVI, on the SNES.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think most of us can agree that the 90's and early 2000's had the greatest RPG's of all time.
I wasn't aware that Persona 3 and 4 were released in the 90s and/or Early 2000s. Or Nier. Or Knights of the Old Republic II (borderline, this one was 2004). Or Borderlands 1 and 2. Or Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Or Mass Effect. Or Dragon Quest IX.

And that's just listing games I personally liked. There are plenty more that I haven't even played or weren't to my tastes that were still very good RPGs.

Final Fantasy IV and VI were really in the peak of the FF series, overall. A great balance between gameplay mechanics, storyline, and aesthetically pleasing graphics (not to downplay the graphics of later entries).

Did anyone else notice that the graphics of FF V appear to be a downward step from FF IV? It's almost as if on the graphic and visual it goes FFV, FFIV, FFVI, on the SNES.
I always thought IV was kind of an ugly game on the SNES. V looked better to me. (seriously, why did everyone look triangular in IV)

Honestly you really think that this:

Looks better than this:

Also, IV's story is an absolute mess, VI's story isn't that great but the individual stories of the characters are decent, and V's story is kind of bleh but no one cares because the job system is awesome. I would take VII's story over all three of them (the main story. VI's strength was individual character stories, though even in that, I thought VIncent's individual story was excellent).

IXVI

Apprentice
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wasn't aware that Persona 3 and 4 were released in the 90s and/or Early 2000s. Or Nier. Or Knights of the Old Republic II (borderline, this one was 2004). Or Borderlands 1 and 2. Or Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Or Mass Effect. Or Dragon Quest IX.

And that's just listing games I personally liked. There are plenty more that I haven't even played or weren't to my tastes that were still very good RPGs.

I always thought IV was kind of an ugly game on the SNES. V looked better to me. (seriously, why did everyone look triangular in IV)

Honestly you really think that this:

Looks better than this:

Also, IV's story is an absolute mess, VI's story isn't that great but the individual stories of the characters are decent, and V's story is kind of bleh but no one cares because the job system is awesome. I would take VII's story over all three of them (the main story. VI's strength was individual character stories, though even in that, I thought VIncent's individual story was excellent).
i do like 4...and i really like 6 ;(. as much as i do truly appreciate and enjoy 7 its the people who claim its the best that really annoy me. honestly, i think my favorite has to be 9 in terms of music, atmosphere, story, side-quests, enemies, environment and even backstories (at one point i thought amarant was cool, then as i got older, i sorta saw his character as..rather basic) i really enjoyed freya though. more so after recently beating the game with my gf because i actually cared to get to know her more then i did before. (at first it was mandatory cause she liked her and wanted her as a main party member) her defense may lack, but, she certainly did prove her worth.

Lorenze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

If we're talking about games we personally like, then I can most certainly add Blue Dragon, Xenoblade Chronicles, Skyrim, Cthulhu Saves the World, Kingdom Hearts

any and all of the recent Tales of... games, Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy XII, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Disgaea...the list goes on, really.

The Super Nintendo and PlayStation did have some amazing RPG's, though. I'm just hoping this thread doesn't devolve further into "90's kidz" nostalgia/complaining. 

LionHeart48

Novam Vitam
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think I should have put "some of" in front of "the". Some of the greatest rpg's like Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy IV,V,VI,VII,IX,X, Tactics, Xenogears, Super Mario Rpg, Shining Force II, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment (<--fricking awesome story), Earthbound, Lunar: The Silvar Star, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, Suikoden I,II,II, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Vagrant Story, Grandia 1 and 2, Phantasy Star IV, Dragon Quest IV,V,VI, Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, Breath of fire III,IV, Valkyrie Profile, System Shock 2, Shenmue 1 and 2, Front Mission 2 and 3, Secret of Evermore, Legend of Dragoon, Illusion of Gaia, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Kingdom Hearts, Terranigma, Star Ocean, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, and im probably missing some but oh well.

IXVI

Apprentice
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
yes super mario rpg is definitely a favorite. i remembered it for so long cause the bullies who picked on me would play it during day care and i sorta sat in the back row while all the kids gathered around them watching them play. same goes for them playing FF6 as well. i remember seeing terra fall through the ceiling and them having to gather locke and the moogles to protect her in the cave scene.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, let's be honest 90s-early 2000s is like... a HUGE swathe of video game history. . You are identifying a giant era of time.

I just really don't like 90s nostalgia kid. Good games are still being made and have been made.

Anyway, that is all kind of offtopic anyway.

LionHeart48

Novam Vitam
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Also, let's be honest 90s-early 2000s is like... a HUGE swathe of video game history. . You are identifying a giant era of time.

I just really don't like 90s nostalgia kid. Good games are still being made and have been made.

Anyway, that is all kind of offtopic anyway.
I never said great games aren't being made today, there's just not as many or as good as the one in the 90's (ofc this is my opinion), and some great games like Radiant Historia are on handheld, which I don't have. I really want to play one on a console. That's why im psyched about FFXV. Are you saying that im an annoying nostalgia 90's kid?

voymasa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

I stand corrected about the visual. I forgot about the original SNES art-style for IV (stupid faulty memory...*grumble**grumble*).

I disagree with you about the story though. In IV the story made sense, and you didn't need extensive backstory to help you understand what was going on (i.e. Main character questions orders that don't make sense to him.

*spoiler alert*

Bad guy after crystals, but being used as puppets by even bigger bad guy, i.e. Golbez puppet of Zemus). VI also had a decent storyline (continuation of the war of the magi a thousand years later; theme of technology and science versus faith and magic). V's story was also solid (and a little more clear than IV's) story for its time, just like IV and VI (solid stories, for their time). V's story was simple and cohesive;

*spoiler alert*

bad guys in world one are seeking to destroy the 4 crystals that are keeping their boss imprisoned, bad guys in world 2 are led by formerly imprisoned bad guy who wants to destroy "locks" on ultimate power of the N-Zone/X-Zone/Void and use it to take over the world (continues arc in world 3).

Really, though, what constitutes a "good" story? IMHO, characters I can relate to and a story that at least flows and makes sense (even if out of the realm of reality). I don't need political intrigue, or even world-dominating corporations (*cough*Shin-ra*cough*) to make a good story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally scripting out the story after WAYYYYY too long of having 0 idea of how to approach said scripting.
2020 has started off pretty stressful for me, but no need to fear. I have my mood fixer:

Have you appreciated a Hedgehog today?

Storybook Hero demo has been well received so far. Yay! We are developing it steadily albeit slowly <_<. We will get there one day o_O.
TFW: You get a text from someone and a long conversation--but you have no idea who this person is and don't wanna be that guy that asks "Who is this by the way?" I have no clue who this person is... but they seem to know me quite well. :rswt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
funtimesahead