Final Fantasy Series

LionHeart48

Novam Vitam
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't know if I said this before but I liked IV and VI's storylines but for V I always felt something was missing. Like something important was missing.

Kaiser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't know if I said this before but I liked IV and VI's storylines but for V I always felt something was missing. Like something important was missing.
What, story? V hadack of to no story and it was like a Saturday morning cartoon kind of story, yeah it gets dark from time to time and throws in curveballs, but the gameplay is what makes me enjoy V over IV and VI any day. I get bored and drained when I play IV and VI. I'm sorry but I do, that's the worst that a game can do to the player. 

Geekman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I like FFIV, FFV, and FFVI all. FFIV had an interesting storyline, and so many characters. FFV had a mediocre characters, but SO much customization. FFVI had a fantastic storyline, a large miltitude of great characters, each with their own backstory.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
IV's plot was "hey let's introduce a new guy" "OH NO HE'S DEAD LETS BE SAD" "Oh wait no, he lived, even though it doesn't make sense that a guy can jump out of an airship with a bomb and still be alive."

LionHeart48

Novam Vitam
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What, story? V hadack of to no story and it was like a Saturday morning cartoon kind of story, yeah it gets dark from time to time and throws in curveballs, but the gameplay is what makes me enjoy V over IV and VI any day. I get bored and drained when I play IV and VI. I'm sorry but I do, that's the worst that a game can do to the player. 
That's kind of what I was saying but you think there was no story, I do think there was, but it wasn't explained enough AT ALL. They probably focused more on the job system, which I love.

Jawnsunn

glass cannon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
At least V had a villian that was constantly involved with the plot.

Zeromus just came out of fricking nowhere.

voymasa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I like FFIV, FFV, and FFVI all. FFIV had an interesting storyline, and so many characters. FFV had a mediocre characters, but SO much customization. FFVI had a fantastic storyline, a large miltitude of great characters, each with their own backstory.
In FF V I didn't feel that the characters themselves had any depth (you know maybe one or two things about each one by the end of the game); see below for more on FF V's story.

That's kind of what I was saying but you think there was no story, I do think there was, but it wasn't explained enough AT ALL. They probably focused more on the job system, which I love.
I think you are right; it was the job system that they seemed to flush out the most. Basically they added all of the staple jobs of the FF series (at this point in the series you really only had two FF games with "jobs": FF 1 and FF 3), but you only ended up with one or two interest points for each character (i.e. Butz/Bartz was an "adventurer" and the son of Drogan, Lessa/Farisa were the daughters of the King of Tycoon and Farisa was raised by pirates after falling off of the dragon during a ride, Galuf was the king of one of the countries fighting X-Death, and Krille was Galuf's granddaughter; no real depth to any of these characters nor do they engage you emotionally), and that each character was related to one of the previous "heroes" that sealed X-Death (crappy name!)

At least V had a villian that was constantly involved with the plot.

Zeromus just came out of fricking nowhere.
I'll agree. SE has become pretty bad at those enemies from nowhere (Necron anyone).

LionHeart48

Novam Vitam
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Voymasa you forgot to add Batz to the silly names the main character gets, also I do think X-Death is stupid, I liked Exdeath better.

Dark Phoenix

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I always thought IV was kind of an ugly game on the SNES. V looked better to me. (seriously, why did everyone look triangular in IV)
IV was supposed to be an NES game; it was ported at to the SNES at pretty much the last minute.  A lot of people forget that IV is likely the only time in the history of the series that Square released a new Final Fantasy to coincide with the release of a new system; usually a system's first FF comes out after the system's been selling for a while.  IV looks much better on GBA, and WORLDS better on PSP.

SNES

GBA

Dark Phoenix

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll agree. SE has become pretty bad at those enemies from nowhere (Necron anyone).
However, there's a reason Zemus/Zeromus pops up from out of nowhere; if the plot reveals the existence of this guy earlier, the reveal near the end loses quite a bit of its punch.  And the plot DOES drop hints there's something more going on than just "Golbez is evil" (like the scene in the Tower of Zot where Golbez has Cecil at his mercy and runs instead of killing him).  Necron, OTOH, not only drops in out of nowhere, the PLOT can't even logically explain what the hell he's doing there.

Dark Phoenix

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
IV's plot was "hey let's introduce a new guy" "OH NO HE'S DEAD LETS BE SAD" "Oh wait no, he lived, even though it doesn't make sense that a guy can jump out of an airship with a bomb and still be alive."
VII's plot was "Cloud has a headache!" "Shinra is EVIL!" "Sephiroth is evil-er!" "Let's chase the black-caped man!" "OH NO AERIS DIED!" "Cloud's dead!"  "No he isn't!" "Stop Sephiroth!"

You can really do that with any game's plot, and you and I both know there's more to IV than what you posted.  You've cut the plot down to the one thing that I think likely bugs EVERYONE about this game.  IV is a great game, but this is a major flaw in it's storytelling.

voymasa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VII's plot was "Cloud has a headache!" "Shinra is EVIL!" "Sephiroth is evil-er!" "Let's chase the black-caped man!" "OH NO AERIS DIED!" "Cloud's dead!"  "No he isn't!" "Stop Sephiroth!"

You can really do that with any game's plot, and you and I both know there's more to IV than what you posted.  You've cut the plot down to the one thing that I think likely bugs EVERYONE about this game.  IV is a great game, but this is a major flaw in it's storytelling.
FYI, before the moderators get you, use the multiquote button next time and add your comments to each section you are quoting. It will even allow you to multiquote across multiple pages.

As for Zemus' intro, you do have a point. Some greater villain was hinted at after FuSoYa uses the crystal on Golbez in the Giant of Babel, and those two go off to fight him. I love FF IV, but thinking about the layer upon layer of villains gives me a headache (i.e. King of Baron -- who is really Odin, being manipulated by Golbez -- who is Cecil's brother, who in turn was being manipulated by Zemus/Zeromus-- who looked like some creepy, old guy).

BTW, I didn't know that FFIV was actually supposed to be a NES title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
BTW, I didn't know that FFIV was actually supposed to be a NES title.
I actually was just thinking that, I only guessed it but it felt like it could easily be an NES game with just a few advancements.

Dark Phoenix

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
FYI, before the moderators get you, use the multiquote button next time and add your comments to each section you are quoting. It will even allow you to multiquote across multiple pages.
Quote button wasn't working right for me.  I forgot to put the final heading in my first post, but when I tried to edit it, the system wouldn't seem to take it.

Eschaton

Hack Fraud
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I actually was just thinking that, I only guessed it but it felt like it could easily be an NES game with just a few advancements.
FFIV on the FC was only a discussion in the meeting room before the decision to develop on the SFC was made.  And there's no way a game as big as FFIV could fit on a NES cart.  There's no way a NES could display five party members at a time in battle or on the menu screen.  Not even if every character used the same exact three-color palette.

NoahJMina

RPG survivalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
what about FF3 anybody?

Lorenze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what about FF3 anybody?
Fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that game. Seriously. 

The original FC is actually pretty good, but it's just ridiculously hard. I actually cheated a little to finish the final dungeon.

I hated the fact that the DS/PSP remake decided to keep the original difficulty. They at least could've added an easier mode or something. 

Berylstone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm usually alone in this opinion but I think Final Fantasy 8 was the best one.  It had the coolest story.  Most unique characters and environments.  And the monsters leveled up with you (a mechanic I think is a must for any RPG).

It had some flaws.  Such as the bosses being too easy since for some odd reason the developers decided not to scale them.  But over-all, this game was something special. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The universe does not want me to do another letsplay it seems... I keep bumping into problem after problem... Oh well. Still have several days to sort them out.
I now have something new to learn. Lesson suggestions?
Finally with a new PC! Now I can do nice things both coding and gaming
nvidia release the IA paint to lsd landscape simulator
i just try , it very fun
"If the lion knew her own strength, hard were it for anyone to rule her". This would be my custom title if I had enough spaces for it. Coming off of personal pain, I'm glad I found the original quote I've tweaked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
negajo