Final Fantasy Series

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by yieldingmydestiny, Mar 21, 2012.

1. LionHeart48

LionHeart48 Novam Vitam Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't know if I said this before but I liked IV and VI's storylines but for V I always felt something was missing. Like something important was missing.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What, story? V hadack of to no story and it was like a Saturday morning cartoon kind of story, yeah it gets dark from time to time and throws in curveballs, but the gameplay is what makes me enjoy V over IV and VI any day. I get bored and drained when I play IV and VI. I'm sorry but I do, that's the worst that a game can do to the player. 

3. Geekman

Geekman Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I like FFIV, FFV, and FFVI all. FFIV had an interesting storyline, and so many characters. FFV had a mediocre characters, but SO much customization. FFVI had a fantastic storyline, a large miltitude of great characters, each with their own backstory.

4. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    IV's plot was "hey let's introduce a new guy" "OH NO HE'S DEAD LETS BE SAD" "Oh wait no, he lived, even though it doesn't make sense that a guy can jump out of an airship with a bomb and still be alive."

Geekman likes this.
  5. LionHeart48

First Language:
    English
    That's kind of what I was saying but you think there was no story, I do think there was, but it wasn't explained enough AT ALL. They probably focused more on the job system, which I love.

Geekman likes this.
  6. Jawnsunn

Jawnsunn glass cannon Member

First Language:
    English
    At least V had a villian that was constantly involved with the plot.

Zeromus just came out of fricking nowhere.

Lorenze likes this.
  7. voymasa

voymasa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In FF V I didn't feel that the characters themselves had any depth (you know maybe one or two things about each one by the end of the game); see below for more on FF V's story.

I think you are right; it was the job system that they seemed to flush out the most. Basically they added all of the staple jobs of the FF series (at this point in the series you really only had two FF games with "jobs": FF 1 and FF 3), but you only ended up with one or two interest points for each character (i.e. Butz/Bartz was an "adventurer" and the son of Drogan, Lessa/Farisa were the daughters of the King of Tycoon and Farisa was raised by pirates after falling off of the dragon during a ride, Galuf was the king of one of the countries fighting X-Death, and Krille was Galuf's granddaughter; no real depth to any of these characters nor do they engage you emotionally), and that each character was related to one of the previous "heroes" that sealed X-Death (crappy name!)

I'll agree. SE has become pretty bad at those enemies from nowhere (Necron anyone).

8. LionHeart48

First Language:
    English
    Voymasa you forgot to add Batz to the silly names the main character gets, also I do think X-Death is stupid, I liked Exdeath better.

voymasa likes this.
  9. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    IV was supposed to be an NES game; it was ported at to the SNES at pretty much the last minute.  A lot of people forget that IV is likely the only time in the history of the series that Square released a new Final Fantasy to coincide with the release of a new system; usually a system's first FF comes out after the system's been selling for a while.  IV looks much better on GBA, and WORLDS better on PSP.

[​IMG]

SNES

[​IMG]

GBA

[​IMG]

Geekman and voymasa like this.
  10. Dark Phoenix

First Language:
    English
    However, there's a reason Zemus/Zeromus pops up from out of nowhere; if the plot reveals the existence of this guy earlier, the reveal near the end loses quite a bit of its punch.  And the plot DOES drop hints there's something more going on than just "Golbez is evil" (like the scene in the Tower of Zot where Golbez has Cecil at his mercy and runs instead of killing him).  Necron, OTOH, not only drops in out of nowhere, the PLOT can't even logically explain what the hell he's doing there.

11. Dark Phoenix

First Language:
    English
    VII's plot was "Cloud has a headache!" "Shinra is EVIL!" "Sephiroth is evil-er!" "Let's chase the black-caped man!" "OH NO AERIS DIED!" "Cloud's dead!"  "No he isn't!" "Stop Sephiroth!"

You can really do that with any game's plot, and you and I both know there's more to IV than what you posted.  You've cut the plot down to the one thing that I think likely bugs EVERYONE about this game.  IV is a great game, but this is a major flaw in it's storytelling.

voymasa likes this.
  12. voymasa

voymasa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    FYI, before the moderators get you, use the multiquote button next time and add your comments to each section you are quoting. It will even allow you to multiquote across multiple pages.

As for Zemus' intro, you do have a point. Some greater villain was hinted at after FuSoYa uses the crystal on Golbez in the Giant of Babel, and those two go off to fight him. I love FF IV, but thinking about the layer upon layer of villains gives me a headache (i.e. King of Baron -- who is really Odin, being manipulated by Golbez -- who is Cecil's brother, who in turn was being manipulated by Zemus/Zeromus-- who looked like some creepy, old guy).

BTW, I didn't know that FFIV was actually supposed to be a NES title.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  13. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I actually was just thinking that, I only guessed it but it felt like it could easily be an NES game with just a few advancements.

14. Dark Phoenix

First Language:
    English
    Quote button wasn't working right for me.  I forgot to put the final heading in my first post, but when I tried to edit it, the system wouldn't seem to take it.

15. Eschaton

Eschaton Hack Fraud Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    FFIV on the FC was only a discussion in the meeting room before the decision to develop on the SFC was made.  And there's no way a game as big as FFIV could fit on a NES cart.  There's no way a NES could display five party members at a time in battle or on the menu screen.  Not even if every character used the same exact three-color palette.

16. NoahJMina

NoahJMina RPG survivalist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    what about FF3 anybody?

17. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that game. Seriously. 

The original FC is actually pretty good, but it's just ridiculously hard. I actually cheated a little to finish the final dungeon.

I hated the fact that the DS/PSP remake decided to keep the original difficulty. They at least could've added an easier mode or something. 

Jawnsunn likes this.
  18. LionHeart48

First Language:
    English
    I played the iOs version and all I remember is alot of grinding.

19. Eschaton

Eschaton Hack Fraud Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just short of the pinnacle of the Final Fantasy series.

20. Berylstone

Berylstone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm usually alone in this opinion but I think Final Fantasy 8 was the best one.  It had the coolest story.  Most unique characters and environments.  And the monsters leveled up with you (a mechanic I think is a must for any RPG).

It had some flaws.  Such as the bosses being too easy since for some odd reason the developers decided not to scale them.  But over-all, this game was something special. 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2013