Final Fantasy Series

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by yieldingmydestiny, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    There are easier ways of building up EXP/JP in Tactics, believe me. The OFFICIAL STRATEGY GUIDE, of all things, has a chapter on rapid EXP/JP accumulation.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, the other ones that they list as "easier" aren't really so much easier as they are automatic. Doing the frog/autofight thing requires more setup than accumulate does, you can just leave it running without having to do anything.

3. voymasa

voymasa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I agree, Card-RF does allow you to break the game early (but hey, what's an RPG without some way to break it? *Marvel Sword**cough**Star Ocean**cough*).

I am replaying VI as well (I recently picked up copies of V and VI Advance for GBA), and agree that some of the old storylines may be hard to get back into, but I think for me it is because I'm thinking ahead to where I want to get in the game, rather than allowing myself to enjoy the experience again (playing for the technical accumulation rather than enjoyment, like my first FFX-2 playthrough).

But that was the beauty about VI, that you could do a low-level playthrough, with just upgrading your equipment, and using smart relic use (and finding that early Ribbon in South Figaro underground :) ).

4. Jawnsunn

Jawnsunn glass cannon Member

First Language:
    English
    i thought the beauty of ff6 was,

"oh sheep dude, look at that mode 7!"

voymasa likes this.
  5. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Fake 3D Chocobo time!

6. Greensburg

Greensburg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    You can break FFVIII easily after dollet, by buying tents, converting them to curaga's and boosting every party member's HP to 3000. There goes the difficulty. It's also hilariously faster, seeing that you can use limits at 700ish hp (which was your earlier maximum). And it's not something very hard to figure out: a minimum amount of menu exploring will yield the combination and money's never an issue because of the quiz system.

The only other step is to repeatedly draw triple from Odin and you're set for the rest of the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  7. LionHeart48

LionHeart48 Novam Vitam Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah you can break FFVIII easily. But it's entirely optional if you want to break the game. You can do what greensburg said, or playing cards and refining them, but if you just play the game regularly it will give you some challenge.

8. Berylstone

Berylstone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Having 3,000 HP wouldn't kill the difficulty.  Just off the top of my head (and it's been a LONG time) I remember those cats being able to wipe the whole group with a party wide death - and they used it often.  So unless you were smart enough to equip some death protection you could die pretty quick, no matter how high your HP was.  I remember Malboros being pretty evil too and required some defensive strategy to handle as well.

Out of all the single player Final Fantasy games I've played, that one had the most challenging encounters.  You say it's easy to break.  But the other ones were easy without even trying to break it.  Just get a few extra levels and you could mow through the content.  The final fantasy series typically are not that difficult, and the random encounters are - by and large - extremely easy, especially if you like to level up a lot.  8 was the only one I felt free to level as much as I wanted without knowing it would completely destroy any semblance of challenge for me.

Now I admit the bosses were too weak.  That was a flaw in the game.  So I'm not going to defend that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  9. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The issue is though (and I love this game so I don't really care), you can get Diablos really early on, learn his Enc-None ability, stock up on magic, and all the encounters are then completely unbalanced because you're totally powerful, but because the enemies haven't levelled up with you, they're not.

Though on the topic of bosses being easy, I did find Ultimecia (purely on the basis that she can get rid of your junctions and permadeath characters) to be a challenge, and Omega Weapon at lvl 99 wasn't exactly a walk in the park either.

10. Berylstone

Berylstone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A few of the bosses were still a challenge, such as Ultimecia the last time around.  I do believe I one shot her the first time you fight her though..  Same with Sifer.  It really bothered me seeing such cool bad guys go down so easily.  It was a very dumb move not to scale the bosses as well as the monsters.

The first time I played this game I was max level before I left the garden training grounds.  So everything I fought from the very beginning onward was very hard.  Even the Cattipillers outside the starting town were vicious, and I could draw spells like Stop from them and they hit like mac trucks.  So that probably has some influence on my opinions.  The monsters were quite a bit different at higher levels. 

11. Genocidal Dave

Genocidal Dave The greatest Hi you're ever gonna meet Veteran

First Language:
    Icelandic
    You could also turn the Quistis card into Samantha souls after returning from Ifrits' cave and bang, your damage is set for the game.

12. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    FF8 had the spell "the end". With it there is no boss you can't one-shot lol.

I really like FF8, but that's mostly due to the setting, and the music.

FF7-8 both took place in these "modern-punk" settings somewhere between steam-punk and cyber-punk, and that's by far my all time favourite setting.

Apparent from that though, despite having its charms, the story is a complete mess, and the battle/skill system is a mess.

If you play FF8 in a normal, non-exploitative way, the game is a chore - all the god dayum drawing of magic, and spamming of GFs.

If you play it smart however, it's almost impossible not to break it, and thus cruise through the entire game like on auto-pilot.

But again, love the setting, and it's still an ok game, which in my mind, makes it worth a spot on the list of good jrpgs worth mentioning.

13. Genocidal Dave

Genocidal Dave The greatest Hi you're ever gonna meet Veteran

First Language:
    Icelandic
    Well about 'The End'.

You can indeed one-shot anything. Excluding the final Ultimecia. After each of her lives are removed she says something, and then her health is regenerated.

You can one-shot her final life, though.

14. LionHeart48

First Language:
    English
    I used "The End" on Omega Weapon for fun.

15. Cope

Cope Villager Member

Clue: It's where it is more fun *sarcasm*
    First Language:
    English
    Final Fantasy VIII was the first RPG I've ever played and was what had influenced my modern-day setting preference. It had also set my standards for quality videogame-storytelling - well, the first 10 titles did anyway. I can't say for anything starting at XII. 

16. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  17. LionHeart48

First Language:
    English
    Toriyama is a sick person. Him and his Lightning fetish.

18. hian

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Ok, so I'm playing FF type 0 on my PS Vita now.

Gotta say, I'm liking it a lot.

Much better than 13 and its spin-off, for sure.

Can't believe SE don't seem to be interested in releasing it outside of Japan.

Well, considering poor PSP and Vita sales outside of Japan, it's not that strange - still, type 0 is much closer to the final fantasy experience most fans seems to be asking for than the other newer games, so it seems like a real waste not to challenge the market with it.

Then again, SE isn't exactly the king of logic either.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  19. jimmybrion99

jimmybrion99 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Have I been loving the Final Fantasy series for this long only to find out that it isn't really a game, but it is is a story which requires you to press 'A' over and over?

20. hian

First Language:
    Norwegian
    I think that's in inaccurate statement. Firstly because because PlayStation consoles don't have A buttons, secondly because the early titles feature a lot of exploration, and thirdly because the battle systems rarely if ever, allow you to just spam the attack button if you plan on winning.

In any case, still enjoying type 0.

By far the best FF since 10.

There are some issues with it, like the fact that it plays so much like a single player action game, that the party aspect feels kind of redundant.

That being said, playing it on the vita with two analogs has fixed the camera issue some people used to complain about.

All in all, it feels kinda like crisis core and FF8 had baby.

I'd recommend anyone with a PSP or vita to give it a go, regardless of Japanese skills.