Final Fantasy Series

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by yieldingmydestiny, Mar 21, 2012.

1. LordBloodySoul

LordBloodySoul Story Writer Member

Between the boundries of reality and fantasy
    First Language:
    german
    Final Fantasy is one of the most known games around, I guess.

So many people think that the game got better after FFX, but they never touched one of the older ones, I would say.

Final Fantasy, I practically grew up with it. I started with the Gameboy version that was called Mystic Quest at first and later went on with Final Fantasy I and so on. Final Fantasy 6 was the peak of it for me. A good story with no holes, no open questions and so much surprises along the way. The Bestias were so beautiful and had a greater purpose in the game than before and later on.

FF7 is really good, but very confusing at times. The graphics were something to get used to, but the story was amazing! FF8 had not such depth, but I won't card it just because it's not as good as FF7. It has it's own charm, but most of the characters ruined it (Like Emo Squall and Useless Rinoa). I loved Xell and Selphie very much :3

FF9 was a must have at that point and it didn't disappoint at all (beside the lame Main Character Zidane) I loved mostly every character even among the NPC's. Vivi is so adorable X3 The story was hard to get, but still surprising and creativ. Bahamuth was one awesome design at that game. Wish they had done this during FF7 already XD

After that I thought it couldn't drop down, but FFX proved me wrong. The characters were mostly lame. No real depth and no real purpose for the story. What was the story anyway?! I played it 3 times and still don't get it D:

Tidus was a dream being, who thought he was alive? And he was brought by some spirits to kill his father?

I can't wrap my head around that one...

And the following projects were as dull as FFX... No story, just senseless beating up and modernisation Dx Poor Bahamuth...

2. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    This, is all you remember about Tidus.

C:,

OZ

3. Omega Weapon

Omega Weapon AKA Laura Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Doing hunts in FFXII, to unlock Yiazmat. I'm really looking forward to that 50 million HP fight. Best hunt I've done: Battle on the Big Bridge, because GILGAMESH.

4. Samsonite

Samsonite Samuel L. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Final Fantasy for NES and Final Fantasy 2 for SNES are my favorites of the series. Final Fantasy 3 for SNES is great too. I still have them. I actually have two copies of Final Fantasy for NES because... I don't know why. :D I never played Final Fantasy 7 and beyond: Too many cut scenes, I don't like the graphics, too much customization of characters, and I don't like the changes in the battle systems.

I like my Final Fantasy games and RPG games simple--simple in features, not in how hard the game is--and without 3-D or complex graphics.

The Final Fantasy games for NES and SNES and the Dragon Warrior series for NES is it for me. To me nothing is better.

Oh, and the Final Fantasy Legend series and Final Fantasy Adventure for the Game Boy are great too.

The remakes of these games on different platforms are all too easy. I hate that. The Final Fantasy series and Dragon Quest (warrior) games for the Nintendo DS are so disappointingly easy.

The late 80's and early 90's were the Golden Age of RPG's for me.

Solo likes this.
  5. muramasa

First Language:
    Spanish
    Just a couple weeks ago I was replaying FinalFantasy2 xD. And I still haven't passed FF1!!!! dayum! But it's all my cellphone's fault! (? cause I'm playing it there). My phone is a relic, so it is even more uncomfortable than any other... but real men like me don't get scared by things like that!

From all the Final Fantasies, I think my favourite is FF3NES. I just love it because of nostalgia... dammit. But without taking nostalgia into account, FF6 is my favorite, because I like a lot the kind of gameplay they got there. I still have to play FF7...

(If we count Makai Toushi SaGa a.k.a. FinalFantasy Legend series as FinalFantasies, well... I LOVE THEM!!!! more than the main series, on this specific order: 2, 1, 3. And that's because I'm a fan of the SaGa series).

===

And I think that too Samsonite. 80s and 90s were the golden era. Not only for RPGs. There were a lot of things being done. I feel developers on these times had less focus on graphics. I mean, systems had "this" limitation, so you just put some good artist to work on that, maybe a programmer doing some specific code for graphics... but most of the code was focused on making interesting gameplay. Making it stand out from the others. I think today's graphics standards are too high when compared to gameplay. I don't say gameplay is bad nowadays. I say it could be much better.

But I'm digressing and ranting,

Orochii Zouveleki

6. Eschaton

Eschaton Hack Fraud Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think the halcyon days of the Final Fantasy franchise (FFF...!) are behind it.  They haven't innovated the genre in decades.  I don't know where it happened, but the WRPG's quadratic line passed the JRPG's linear line a while ago.

7. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    That's not exactly true. The real issue isn't a lack of innovation, it's too much forced innovation.

The formula that Squaresoft succeeded with was the one perfected through FF6-9.

It's because they tried so hard to reinvent themselves, and failed miserably at it, that most people now how issues with the franchise.

As much as some people don't like the standard jrpg set up, that's what the FF franchise was, and that was what the majority of the old fans enjoyed playing.

But, the FF series is anything but static.

FF type 0, and FF 15 are surely proof of this.

FF comes in many flavors, standard RPGs, tactical RPGs, and action RPGs. The biggest issue is that a lot of people feel that they've forgotten how to make quality jrpgs.

8. Eschaton

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Final Fantasy is cool, but it's not cute, so it doesn't sell as well in Japan.

Final Fantasy is a JRPG, a setup which worked in the 80's and 90's, but is failing in the West.

Sounds like last legs to me.

9. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I find it funny that the series is "dying" when FFXIII was the third best selling FF of all time...

(I've not even played XIII or XIII-2, have no idea if I would even like them, but the issue with FF isn't popularity).

10. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    As far as I know, FFXIII was a hit, but FFXIII-2 was a let down.... my friends commented that they should have just let it (the XIII series) end on FFXIII...

I'm looking forward to FFXV, it looks nice... yeah it's different from most of the FF games, but I think it's fine and I hope it lives up to expectations... 

11. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The modern game development cycle is slaying Square Enix, like a lot of japanese game devs, old development cycles don't work with such expensive assets. Like, the series isn't dying, but it's suffering unsustainable budget blowout, to remain competitive in a market where the things Final Fantasy does well (teenage anime angst stories) are now appearing in other triple A games, in other high-quality games, and have been since the PS2 really. I can't find figures for FFXIII, but FFX was 10 million, FFXII was 35 million, FFXHD has already equaled the production costs of the original FFX, so FFXIII can't have been cheap. Such huge spending for third best selling doesn't sound great.

12. muramasa

First Language:
    Spanish
    Meanwhile, in someone's basement, an RPG is being made with less than 10k.

===

"AAA" games are too expensive. They are like films. Actually, they are as expensive as Hollywood's films. And they always contain bugs. :p .

I haven't played any FF after 9. But I've seen FFX, a friend had it, also I watched some parts of a let's play. It's not my cup of tea, so I don't feel obligued to play it "because of the series". I'll never play XI, and I'm not sure if I'll even consider playing XII. My bro had XIII, played it for less than an hour (most of the time was cutscenes :D !), and then I got bored and continued playing Portal2.

XIV seems nice, I applied to beta-testing (and got in, but at the time was unable to play... :'C). But still, I'm not good for MMORPGs, they're almost infinite games. I like to move on.

And XV, haven't seen anything of it.

That's a summary of what I think of the more contemporary part of the FF series (or FFF),

Orochii Zouveleki

13. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The original Final Fantasy is one of my favorite games. I spent so many Saturday afternoons grinding around Elfland just so I could buy that Silver Sword. :p  I used a printed-out walkthrough by Zach Keene to get through the game, which I found on mysidia.com... does the place still exist? This was back in March of 2000.

I actually enjoyed FF2j. I know a lot of people had a beef with its leveling system (or lack thereof) but I found it tolerable. After all, how funny is it to beat yourself up in order to increase your HP? :p  Also, I took screenshots of literally every area in the game so I could rip the graphics and use them in my old RPG Maker projects... I still have them on my old laptop!

FF3j is definitely one of my favorites out of the FF series. The DS remake was pretty, but they really messed up the gameplay (the Shrine of Nepto is a total joke, whereas it was a total nightmare in the original, especially the boss, Big Rat). What really did it in was that they made it so you could use the elemental rods in battle to cast spells for free; in the original, equipping the rods only increased the power of your magic. One thing they did right, though, was balancing the Ninja and Sage classes.

FF4 (FF2us) is another great one. It's challenging, and the story is really good. Even though there's no character customization system, the plot engages you from beginning to end and more than makes up for it, attesting to the power of a good story. It also has some great side quests (Sylvan Cave, Land of the Summons, Bahamut's cave on the moon). The DS remake was amazing with its cutscenes and voice acting. Also, in a sharp contrast to the toning down of the first three games on GBA and DS, I feel that they actually made 4 harder. I don't remember having to run from the ice beasts in the Tower of Zot, lest they freeze me to death. It was like multi-target enemy attacks did double the damage compared to the original. I couldn't believe it when Big Bang did 6,000 damage and killed Edge instantly. I was like... really!? Also the back-to-back fights with Calcobrena and Golbez were totally insane in the DS version. I don't remember Golbez using Barrier Shift in the original. ;_;

I did like FF5, though I felt that it got a bit too hardcore at times. Unless you really know what you're doing, that is... I thought the battle with the four crystals in the Forest of Moore was the most ridiculous thing ever... until I realized that I could kill them all almost instantly by just using the Samurai's Zeninage (Gil Toss). That was kind of lame... you can kill a few bosses instantly with Odin, too. The most absurd thing in the entire game, though, is the Twin Towers, where you go up each side with just two characters and can only either attack physically or use magic... the magic boss, Omniscient, was unforgivably difficult. Another crazy boss was the battle with the six Pyrobolus (sp?) near the one meteor. You have to whittle them all down at the same time and kill them all at once, or they'll completely revive themselves. Man. But the job system was cool and I liked all the boss fights in the last dungeon.

FF6 (FF3us) easily had the best story for me (and I'm sure many would agree). It's a little on the easy side, but it's very fun to customize your party with magic. I also dig using the Merit Award so little Relm can wield the giant Ultima Weapon. BD  Best combined with a Muscle Belt so she has decent HP (and yes I know she's meant for magic, but it's fun to be defiant). The World of Ruin is my favorite part of the game; I love going all around the world at my leisure and doing things my way. In the GBA version, I grinded levels and magic in the desert with all the Cactuars until I had at least one or two people on all three of my teams who could cast Ultima (which BTW removes any semblance of challenge the game may have had; I would sometimes choose the Ragnarok sword instead just so I wouldn't be tempted to effortlessly obliterate everything, but there's still the Cursed Shield... if you're patient) so I'd stand a chance in the Dragon's Den, which was fun to explore.

I only played the very beginning of FF7 once, until you take the train to the second Mako reactor (I think?). I liked the music a lot, and I thought the gameplay was very fun. The story also seemed interesting (like the flashback with Cloud and Tifa when they were younger). But to be brutally honest with you, I was really put off by the language. I acknowledge FF7 is a good game, but it just wasn't for me. And I really did want to like it.

I never played any of the others.

14. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    That's just ridiculous. The Japanese market has plenty of games topping the sales-lists without having anything to do with cuteness.

The earlier FF games also sold extremely well considering the times, and the budgets they were on.

FF13 has sold a total of 5.01 million units.

FF7 has sold 9.72 million units.

FF8 has sold 7.86 million units.

FF9 has sold 5.30 million units.

FF10 has sold 8.05 million units.

FF12 has sold 5.95 million units.

(all these numbers are world-wide total sales numbers courtesy of http://www.vgchartz.com)

So no - FF13 is not the third best selling FF of all time. It's outsold globally by pretty much every FF game to date of the main series since FF7, with FF7 having sold twice as much as it.

Clearly, they're not doing something right. This is even more obvious when you consider the fact that many of these old games are still selling.

This is one reason why - but only in part.

Since Squaresoft messed up with the movie, "the spirits within", they've had money trouble and acting extremely frantic as a result.

They tried to reinvent the wheel and be all innovative with their movie and later projects, and thus completely misunderstood their own fan-base.

Most people just wanted more of the same - case in point, the sales figures for Advent Children, and the popularity of any FF related product that has aimed backwards instead of forwards.

They took gamble after gamble, probably worried that people would grow tired of them recycling the same formula year after year, and tried to go a new way. It didn't work.

Now you see they're trying to back-peddle with games like 13-2 and type-0,

but unless 15 becomes utterly fantastic, it's too little too late.

The series probably won't die, as long as you still have young new fans without a connection to the older franchise, and old die-hard fans that stick around hoping things will improve.

But, that's not enough to keep a giant franchise like that afloat and running forward.

Again, unless FF15 does extremely well, the FF development department will suffer cut-backs and the series will slowly dwindle away into insignificance.

While FF releases for a long time, were these lager than life events that tons of people looked forward to, it will just be another game in a series, like another installment in the tales series, or another FIFA title. It will still be there - most people just won't be bothered.

15. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You are pulling the PS3 numbers, rather than combined PS3+360. FFXIII sold around 7 million total. I will admit its fuzzy whether it is 3rd or 4th though depending on source (The sales of ffx vary from high 6 million to 8 million depending on where you look). And no real source of sales numbers for video games are exact, and vgchartz is notoriously inaccurate. Either way, that is a respectable sales number for any game.

The issue isn't sales numbers, its the fact that AAA budgets are skyrocketing at insane speeds and those huge budgets are only really sustainable on games that sell Halo/CoD numbers.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  16. Eschaton

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't know why developers keep making turn-based, menu-driven games in the modern era.  It boggles the mind.

You know, us, notwithstanding.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  17. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was gonna say!... >:(

18. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would honestly be annoyed if turn based games disappeared. Not every game should be about reflexes and speed, and variety is what gaming needs. And anyway, Pokemon proves that its not like turn based stuff won't still sell, I mean, Pokemon is a system seller and is as turn based as humanly possible.

19. Berylstone

Berylstone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I feel the same way.

I much prefer a paced turn-based battle system that relies on strategic decision-making to hectic reflex-driven gameplay.  This is especially true when I sit down to play an RPG. 

If I want to run around and dodge things I'll go rent an action game.  But when I sit down to play a game that advertises itself as a RPG I do get annoyed when it attempts to be a half-cocked platformer. 

I think the RPG genre is best when it focuses on its strengths. And I believe those to be complex character development and the utilization of those developments in combat.  I am never impressed with the results when RPGs try to stray into the realm of action games and rely on reflexes for challenging combat.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  20. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't mind action/rpg hybrids, I just don't want every game to be a hybrid.