Final Fantasy Series

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by yieldingmydestiny, Mar 21, 2012.

1. The Shadow

The Shadow Homo and Atheist since 2002 Member

First Language:
    Swedish
    My personal favorite of them all is FF 6, which I also think is the best in the series. FF 9 was also a good game in the series. FF 8 is one of the most annoying of them all with its "Draw Magic" BS system. I find FF 10 ok, but not good. Tidus must be one of the most annoying characters in the whole world. Also, FF 10-2 is just a big pile of Fan-service. Didn't like it.

SunDog and BigEd781 like this.
  2. gvduck10

gvduck10 Quacker Jack Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I never knew about the Squallisdead theory, but it makes pretty good sense

3. Omega Weapon

Omega Weapon AKA Laura Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Playing FF12IZJS. It's a shame this version never made it over to Europe or the US. This version is just perfect. I have Hunter Vaan, Machinist Balthier, Red Mage Fran, Uhlan Basch, Samurai Ashe and White Mage Penelo. 

Even though I'm against magician girls in general, Fran, Ashe and Penelo just have more magic oriented stats. Ashe still attacks physically, but in terms of game mechanics, her attacks depend on both strength and magic power.

Just... wow...

I just passed the events at the Leviathan. Ghis was pretty easy with level 12 characters. I made Vaan tank, made Basch bash him and then I had Penelo healing and occasionally toss a mote or two.

4. Kaelan

Kaelan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

gvduck10 likes this.
  5. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Ive said this before, but because i wish to be inclusive, ill say it again. I think FF 9 has the best and most coherent story of all of them thus far.

Also....does anybody know for sure who the main protagonist of FF12 was supposed to be? I think they were trying to make it Vaan (and im guessing thats the case since they made him appear in dissidia), but it just felt more like Ashe was...also, Vaan had like, no dialogue, and in my opinion was pretty bland for a protagonist. (I would like to try to defuse any potential argument by stating, "With all that said, i really enjoyed 12 alot :) " )   

6. Kyutaru

Kyutaru Software Engineer & Ninja Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  7. Omega Weapon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Vaan is not really the protagonist, but rather a viewpoint character. You're following the story through his eyes. 'bout Penelo, she is just there because Vaan is...

Still, Vaan is the most successful FF character, if you think about it. He stopped the big bad of the world before she even rose to power ;)

8. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Were we all playing the same game?!!? FF-12 wasn't even a game, it was a very long, somewhat interactive movie. the battles werent engaging, the characters were bland. Balthier and Fran added a little flavor, but that was about it. Ashe was definitely more of a hero than Vaan, heck Tidus (or even Squall) was more of a hero than Vaan. Vaan essential "stumbles" into saving the world, even at the end of the game, he's still unbelievably apathetic "hey, my brother (who i never talk about) is dead and Im really bummed about that; also, my girlfriend wants to be Queen and we want our country back" FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT "yeah, we won" What the heck kinda story is that?! (did NOT like 12) the most interesting character was actually the bad guy's younger brother and the Judges (the original Dissidia didn't include Vaan - it had Gabranth - nuff said)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  9. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    The original Dissidia didn't event include Tifa and Yuna... Tifa would be understandable, but Yuna??? seriously it wouldn't be FFX without Yuna...

and a lot of times, the Bad guys in FF games are really interesting

gvduck10 likes this.
  10. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wll the idea for Disidia was the MAIN hero and MAIN antagonist from each game - FF11 and FF12 were just tagged on as bonus characters. Yuna was more essential to the story than Tidus, but Tidus was the player-controlled character, the "lead"

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  11. Omega Weapon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Would you believe me that Ashe would have become the big bad if she went along with the Occuria? Vaan is the one who told Ashe that nothing good would come of it, back in Jahara, remember?

And on top of the Pharos, who said that revenge would bring no one back, so it's pointless? That was Vaan.

12. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh that is true... I forgot about that brief battle of conscience she had to go through. It also seems trite though the way they presented it: "I can use this power and destroy the empire" "no, don't do that, its bad" "ok, vaan".... just saying, none of "heroes" had very strong personalities, they were all pretty much just whatever. Balthier and Fran were at least interesting, Ashe at least had a good motivation for her actions. Vaan Penelo and Basch were basically 3 blank characters. The bad guys and some of the NPCS - like Cid - were the most interesting and I find that sad

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE - I love the moment in FFX when Lulu asks Tidus if he has feelings for Yuna, and you can tell her "no, I think you're more my type" LOL I HAVE TO PICK THAT EVERY TIME!!

It's like going on the gold saucer date with Barret - just comical

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  13. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    Basch should have been the main character of FF12, if Ashe wasn't; really, it's mostly HIS story.  IIRC, he was supposed to be the main character originally; Vaan is the result of Executive Meddling.

gvduck10 likes this.
  14. Omega Weapon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And 12 has the single most funny, unneeded and obnoxious minigame... and we all know which one we're talking about...

I'M CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBURG OF DALMASCA!BASCH LIVES!

DON'T LISTEN TO ONDORE'S LIES!
    That one was face-palmingly funny.

15. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    scuse me i know the "i'm basch" minigame is an almost meme in how bad it is, but really the streetear thing in archades is the most painful thing it took me an hour and the basch one only took 20 minutes and it was funny insted of you know... the streetear in archades one is just all bad.

>:(   D:<   :o   ;_;  to that one

16. 100LittleDreams

100LittleDreams HueHue Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think my fav FF games were (too lazy to put in numerical order):

IV because i liked the story and also how Cecil has two classes paladin/dark knight <3VIII because hey im a squall fan girl :D

IX because it was a really fun game and kuja i have to say is one the best FF villains

VI because the story was great and I have to say Kefka is one of best FF villain in this game.

XI Online because yay MMO I still hop on there from time to time too :D

X because the story was good and it made you sympathetic for the main characters.

X-2 because it was a nice turn around for Yuna she was so depressed about her fate when she was a summoner,

now that she defied logic she's as happy as can be and is enjoying life. YAY YUNNIE.

17. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
  18. zacheatscrackers

zacheatscrackers Machinehead Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love Decisive Battle, so it was hell of a treat to hear that. Hah.

19. servantb7

servantb7 Servantb7 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Starting to replay FF 12 and remembering just how much I love it. I love the "nation v. nation" beginning of the story. I love the open world, exploration, and character building. I love the varied landscapes and the hunt sidequests.

I'll admit the character weren't as riveting as say, FF 6 or 7, but they also weren't annoying like many of the more recent FF characters (looking at you, Tidus). 

20. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    FF 12 was AWESOME!!!   Fran in high heels ?!?   'nuff said.

Basch I don't remember much - don't think I ever really used him. Balthier was cool.

I usually went with Fran, Ashe, and Penelo - once you figure out that gambits are smart enough to not be used if you don't need them (at least for discrete states), they become much easier to set up - put someone on auto-protect and auto-shell, someone auto-heals/cures and auto-hastes during battle, and other than occasionally stepping in to suck down some elixirs, you pretty much got everything beat, up to and including big red dragon dude (the very big dragon you've got beat too, you've just got to stop and recharge/save every now and then - but then you can beat him with anything if you hit and run often enough).

I loved that if you really worked at it you could go so far ahead of the plot - take the way long way around the lake or whatever it was (past the whirlwind) and run through the dungeon of the dead (gobbie shop in the wall) and the bridge where the bombs were. Grab some really cool equipment, then go back to the plot.  That's without using the "Here - have a feather and die", power leveling exploit. The 'homage' to Final Fantasy V was much appreciated, as well.

Vaan - I think the best line to explain Vaan was from Balthier. They were going into some dungeon (I'm going off a vague memory here), Balthier explains why he and Fran are there, and runs down everyone else in the party (including Penelo - she's not following Vaan, she's there for Ashe - notable that Penelo, not Vaan has the 'final words' of the game), and finally asks, "Why ARE you here, Vaan?"

Vaan is almost like a 'negative' character: a 'void', if you will, that you, as the player, get to fill in with whatever you want. It was a good call to put him in. Everyone else had too strong motivations one way or the other, with the possible exception of Penelo - they'd be going back to the rails they tried so hard to get off of after FF X if they focused on one of them.

I've got to finish VIII one of these days - I think Squall is in space with Rinoa or something... IX too. and Chrono Cross. And Radiant Historia. And Tales of Phantasia... And FF III and the Four Heroes of Light... And Legends II and III... And I never did get past the very start of Revenant Wings... and almost all of the X series (love X3:TC), and the Baldur's Gate megamod, after I reinstall it again (about a week long process, getting all 300 mods configured right).

My all time favorite is VI. Kefka is the bestest villian ever. He gets to destroy the world, live through it, and reign as its evil overlord.

How cool is that? Sephiroth never came close to that level of villiany [if I understand what people have been saying in this thread, Sephiroth wasn't even really in the game]. Octopus dude was funny all the way to the end (working in the Opera...). Evil Eye in the Sky was better than the Weapons in VII (If I'm not confusing games here - I may be).

Toss up between IV and V after that - IV has the best story out of any of them I think, while V has the best mechanics. Even though you only have the four characters in V, it's still hard to max them all. I think harder even than maxing the party in VI (once you get the right espers, most of the magic becomes trivial to learn, after that you just camp out in dinosaur forest till everyone knows everything). On the PS 2 I was never able to kill Kefka without somebody dying (Res 3 didn't work), and I haven't gotten that far in the Adv remake - I'm near the end, stopped in the cave where you split into three parties.

X-2 was the most fun to play. I still need to play that one more time (first time of my most recent playthrough 'set', I let the Ronso slaughter the Guado so I could get in that secret room for the 'key' item. Second time I got 100%, but I got Gippal's sphere, which gave me an episode concluded instead of complete (if I had known that...), so I didn't get the moogle suit. One more playthrough to get the suits and then a fourth to level them up (Maybe I'll try for the Yuna statue then). Moogle Beam rocks almost as much as trigger happy. Yevon Dungeon is one of the best since the Ancient Caves and the infinite dungeons of Fate (and Torchlight).

II was the worst: playthrough and story. Dawn of Souls didn't help it much.

The remake of I was nice, especially adding the 'easy' mode which made those all mage parties much more manageable to play (yes, I know you can beat the game on hard with a solo white wizard). Taking away the shortcut to the giants and some of the 'expensive' gear you could buy early if you worked for it wasn't so cool though.

The advance remakes of IV and V were good, too. Did not like the DS remake of IV, they took out all the cool extras that were in advance, and the game doesn't feel right in 3D. On the other hand the DS remake of Dragon Warrior (Quest) IV they went the extra mile and kept in all the horrible accents and bad translations of the original (that's my current DS game in progress, then V and VI and Rune Factory and maybe another HM - Island of Happiness is pretty good, so is MFoMT, didn't get close to the 99 years of marriage or whatever you need for that cottage last time I played).

X was just depressing. Xenosaga was 'on rails', and not exactly happy go lucky, but there's a point to it: and it raises serious questions _if_ you understand the symbolism. X was just ... sad. If you raced through the story and just worried about sphere grid maxing and the monster arena, it was alright. I suppose if you liked Blitzball the game was good for that too - probably the best mini-game in the series with close second going to Tetra Triad and whatever it was called in IX (and XI), even though it wasn't my cup of tea: I can still appreciate what they put into it.

Where does that leave VII? Right in the middle where it is in the series. The 3D didn't do anything for me. Blocky characters were blocky even back then (looked like Final Fantasy, the LEGO edition). Story was alright... got muddled up though as it went. Weapons were a cool touch. Raising chocobos, not so much. Nice side story with Red XIII and his old man. I tend to power-level a bit so I wasn't impressed by the 'snake on a stick' (we killed it, too). Ending was completely beyond me.  I guess whether the people on the planet live or die depends on whether or not you accept the views put forward in other titles, or consider those 'alternate takes'. I will say the Aeris scene was very well done. I was sad for a long time: unfortunate side effect of clinical depression. I've learned to find out the endings of stories before I start reading/watching.

I guess I'll end my rambling here - I've got to get back to bug-squashing everything I found in my latest playthrough so I can release a demo soon (still aiming for the end of this GMD, though adding the clock and journal may force it to the end of the month).

TTFN and all that :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014