Final Fantasy Series

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by yieldingmydestiny, Mar 21, 2012.

1. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Final Fantasy 7 has good graphix AND I will fight u.

2. SunDog

SunDog KHAAAAAAAAN! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    8 is my favorite so far. My 2nd choice would probably be 6

3. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    I enjoyed 9, 7, 8, 6, 5, 4 and ... 10-2.

Yes, I must be one of the few people who actually prefer 10-2 over 10. Why? There's many reasons actually. Namely because it was different. So very, very different. The rest of the series are about saving a world in peril but 10-2? The world was already saved. This time it was about putting the world back together, about healing the damages done by le big evil and healing yourself as well. It was light and silly and fun and bright and just great.

Sure, yeah, there was a lot of fanservice but the overall feel of the game was so airy and made for a nice change of pace. It also had some neat musical numbers (no joke, I have them on my ipod along-side Chrono Cross and Suikoden music XD ) and most of all - that battle system.

THAT BATTLE SYSTEM!

Guys! That motherfucking battle system!!! <3

Seriously, hate all you like on the 'but it's aimless and you just do sidequests (which I love btw)' but you cannot hate on that battle system. It took all the good things from FFX (namely the battle system) and made it 100x better. It's one of my favourite battle systems in a game (along side Okami (oh dear Amaratsu, that game) and a few others) and I've played a lot of jRPGs.

That said, I'd say 9 was near the top of my favourites list with 6 and 7.

Also, for the record, I liked the systems of 12, but the story was bad for it. Would have been so much better if it were about building up the guild (let's face it, all anyone ever played was the guild missions - am i rite?) or focussing on Penelo instead. No, wait, listen a moment before you spout your hatred about her! Vaan was unnecessary to the plot. Penelo is what started the ball rolling. She was the one who kickstarted the meeting with Mr. Awesome, she was the one with the ties to the community. If she'd been the protagonist it probably would have carried a lot better. Vaan was never needed. (Also, I have issue with Ms. Princess who decided hiding constituted neon pink miniskirts in a society that doesn't do neon pink or miniskirts. I mean, look at the NPCs of Rabanstre. They wear flowing pants or long skirts. Not a miniskirt in sight. Seriously, she stuck out like a sore thumb. Ugh.)

SunDog likes this.
  4. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    You seriously prefer the FFX-2 Battle system to FFX? Like, seriously?

It removed the predictable turn-based system that was pretty much the staple of the tactical gameplay that permeated FFX's battles in favour of the standard ATB system, that leaves you mostly in the dark about the enemy movements and timing of attacks, which clearly impedes, at least, some of the strategical depth from the original.

I agree on the change of pace. I actually bought and cleared the game. That being said, I still think of it as the beginning of the end of Square's business integrity and taste in design.

5. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I haven't played many of the Final Fantasy series but I have clocked IX and I loved it. It is a game of splendid beauty, gorgeous environments, touching cut-scenes and a detailed character roster. I suspect this is no different from a lot of the original Final Fantasy games, and a hallmark of the series. The cliche but engaging storyline, memorable and touching soundtrack, and simple yet effective battle system helped me gain respect for the JRPG genre as a kid. It has its balance of humorous moments and emotional moments, and a few entertaining twists. It felt very distinctly Final Fantasy (even though I haven't played much of the previous games!).

The other installments I've played is half of X (up to the boat to Zanarkand), a demo of X-2, and some of VI for the GBA.

6. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Yes, actually, I preferred X-2s battle system a lot more. It was fun and I had a lot of fun messing around with it. While Xs was okay, I just didn't really like it that much.  ^.^

7. SunDog

First Language:
    English
    I gotta disagree on 10-2. The whole "we made a machine to kill Sin but now it's bad" almost put me to sleep.

I wanted a prequel where you play as Auron, Braska and Jecht. That would have been awesome

gvduck10 likes this.
  8. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

omg take my money that would be so awesome! although it will be a complete sausage fest.

gvduck10 and SunDog like this.
  9. TheHarmp

TheHarmp Non-Profit Mephobiac Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    [​IMG]
    "You taught me that life doesn't last forever. That's why we have to help each other and live life to the fullest. Even if you say goodbye, you'll always be in our hearts. So, I know we're not alone anymore. Why I was born... How I wanted to live... Thanks for giving me time to think. To keep doing what you set your heart on... It's a very hard thing to do. We were all so courageous... What to do when I felt lonely... That was the only thing you couldn't teach me. But we need to figure out the answer for ourselves... I'm so happy I met everyone... I wish we could've gone on more adventures. But I guess we all have to say goodbye someday. Everyone... Thank you. Farewell. My memories will be part of the sky..."   -Vivi Orunitia
    Final Fantasy 9, my favorite game/story of all time.

10. SunDog

First Language:
    English
    I'm sure Jecht visits any port in a storm

11. servantb7

servantb7 Servantb7 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    X-2 had the worst story/characters of any FF game in my opinion, but I agree that the battle system was awesome. I love how you had to build up your characters in each different job, and I love how fast paced the battles were. It made every battle strategic and interesting. In a lot of FF games (6, 7, 9, etc.) you could just attack 90% of the time and kill pretty much any enemy besides a boss. X-2 made you strategize a lot more, and it had a ton of flexibility in how you built up your characters.

Sadly, I didn't finish the game due to a glitch with the CD, and though I love the battle system, the characters and dialogue were too annoying for me to really want to play it again.

12. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Shiva in X-2 is just so fast... anyway, once I had floral fallal for Yuna, end of problems...

13. Zane

Zane Food for thought Veteran

First Language:
    US English
    Kefka is one of my favorite characters, I love his theme song whenever he does something. (Sometimes I'll even make a voice for him when I read his dialogue, cause it's just funny the way he does things.)

14. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Kefka... and that pixalated laugh still haunts me.

Zane, gvduck10 and SunDog like this.
  15. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    The battle system in X-2 just felt faster and flashier for some reason. I think I still prefer 10 now, but as a kid, X-2's felt more exciting...

16. gvduck10

gvduck10 Quacker Jack Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    V - grind, grind, grind, grind - limited mechanics (only 1 changeable slot, unless Bare or Mime)

VI - AMAZING game all around. Great story, great mechanics, awesome villain. Each character had a unique skill but everyone could learn magic. Fav PCs: Terra, Celes, Sabin, Cyan, Setzer

VII - Amazing game all around but characters only different by Limit Breaks is kind of dull. BEST story. Also, great villains. Fav PCs: Cloud, Tifa, Red XIII, Vincent

VIII - Good story, interesting characters, very limited mechanics (like V), and dreary, unattractive layout (the main menu is Black & Gray! bleck) still, I love this game for some reason. Fav PCs: Squall, Selphie, Rinoa

IX - super classic feel and classes, great mechanics, fun, weird delay in battles after selecting commands, GREAT GAME. Fav PCs: Freya, Eiko

X - extremely linear, very easy difficulty, characters only somewhat unique - Fav PCs: Lulu, Khimari

XII - NOT a video game IMO, this is an interactive DVD. Very pretty, but also dull. Vahn is pointless. Fav PCs: Larsa, Balthier, Fran... and then everyone that isn't Vahn.

Tactics - Amazing Game on many levels, the PSP version is good but their butchered attempt at Old English is hard to swallow at times. FAV PCs: Agrias, Beowulf, Mustadio... and so many many more...

17. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Warning!!! 

this is FFXII:

[​IMG]

Thsi is an interactive DVD

[​IMG]

do not get the two mixed up, or you might get shreked.

gvduck10 likes this.
  18. hian

First Language:
    Norwegian
    FF12 is such a difficult game to swallow. I want so hard to like it because I love the setting and the artstyle. I also don't necessarily dislike the gameplay.

I just struggled very hard with it being a numbered FF game, and with the lack of character development.

It's too much like Vagrant Story, FF11(which really should have been called FF online imo) and FFT in feel that I just think it stands out like a sore thumb in the FF franchise.

Secondly, the majority of FF games have always had really character driven narratives with a lot of interpersonal drama between characters.

FF12 just really lacks that. I feel more like you've got all these almost silent protagonist who are being pushed along on rails for the sake of the plot, who only really talk about things pertaining to the plot, which really just undermine their persona.

Really, who are these people beyond soldiers, smugglers, street urchins and royalty(their roles so to speak, rather than their personas)? Close to 30 hours into the game I still had no idea, and that's what really killed it for me.

SunDog and gvduck10 like this.
  19. gvduck10

gvduck10 Quacker Jack Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I agree whole-heartedly. I believe this is why I liked Fran, Balthier, and Larsa the most, since they at least had some semblence of personality. Vahn is possibly the most generic, unmotivated character ever: "they killed my brother, I can never forgive them"... umm, ok, it was a war, a lot of people died. Brasch was just the royal bodyguard, Penelo was just the perky friend.... Serious lack of character development.

The game would have probably been better with Basch as the hero (which I've read was the original concept), or Balthier. Heck, even Ashe would have made a more interesting protagonist, having to decide between laying waste to her enemies or foregoing vengence in the name of peace.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  20. hian

First Language:
    Norwegian
    My biggest problem with the FF12 cast is that any issue pertaining to their lack of persona could have been solved by simply giving them more dialogue and scenes where they express personal traits and opinions beyond the bare minimum to carry the plot.

The Last Story for Wii did this really well, by having the cast constantly talking amongst themselves as you play, bantering, commenting on their feelings about what's going on etc.

It made the entire cast come alive in a way that I think goes beyond anything I've ever seen in an RPG. Then again, TLS was imo the best jrpg to have ever come out since the end of the PS2 era, and was produced by Hironobu Sakaguchi, who was the one who made FF what it was to begin with.

gvduck10 likes this.