Final Fantasy Series

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by yieldingmydestiny, Mar 21, 2012.

1. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, we hate him because he's a snotty little brat that literally disappears for the majority of the game. Zidane isn't a superspecial snowflake descendant of a hero/last survivor of a race/number one soldier/chosen one/everything revolves around me amazing prodigy with a tragic past, and he's a 1000000000000x better character than Vaan will ever be. Neither is Bartz. And then we have all of FF6's amazing characters, and that game had no main character. No, Terra was not the main character.

I don't get your logic. You complain about ATB FF games lacking in strategy, but that you don't care about those fights that actually do require strategy in the same ATB FF games, too... I have nothing against being a casual gamer but you might wanna' re-think your post lol.

2. Mihel

Mihel Veteran Veteran

Ok so you hate him for being snotty, but the fact he disappears for most of the game bothers you? And saying Zidane is better than Vaan... well thanks I think everybody figured it out already.

I love me some FF6 but idk, I don't think most of the characters were all that amazing in retrospect.

@Emmych lol no I actually like Noel, is was talking about his pants design. I know it's supposed to pay omage to asian traditional clothes or something but..... WHYYYYY THOSE PANTSSSSS OTL

3. Emmych

Emmych forever rotting in the shamecube, floating eternal Veteran

First Language:
    Anglais~
    What? No, Zidane is totally a special snowflake. Remember how they shoehorn that stupid Genome subplot in at the last second?

...I mean he's still the best protag, but JEEZE SQUARESOFT JEEZE OTL

@Mihel: ahhhh, right. The pants. |B

I was more worried about Caius' giant...thing that I refuse to call a sword because it doesn't look like a sword it looks stupid |B

Also his random 80s headband, stabbing sleeves and Uggs. Caius what are you wearing gurl OTL

4. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To be honest, the whole thing of Zidane's and Kuja's background and how it interacted was the best thing storywise about that entire game.

yieldingmydestiny likes this.
  5. Emmych

Emmych forever rotting in the shamecube, floating eternal Veteran

First Language:
    Anglais~
    @Touch: Ehhhhh, I have to disagree. I liked the first half of the game, when Zidane was just this snotty thief kid who happened to get swept along on this adventure but was a total hero anyway. I mean, even though he isn't the centre of the plot, the way he interacts with the two characters who are (Dagger and Vivi) makes him likeable and a natural fit for the protag slot.

The angel of death/Terra part of the plot just comes in at the very end, and I don't feel like there was enough build up to it. It really does just bust outta nowhere OTL

That said, the Kuja VS Zidane conflict is pretty constant, and it is awesome. I woulda been just as content if Kuja was from Terra and Zidane was a simple thief with a heroic nature, though.

@SOC: I, uh...never said that actually. XD. And sorry if grinding for hours doesn't get me wet...? I prefer to waste my hardcore gaming time hunting for treasure and doing sidequests, not fighting the same group of high EXP giving enemies over and over until I'm level 99.

Although, I do have to say that most of the ATB strategy fights involve waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and then spamming your strongest attacks. Final Fantasy games aren't the best I've played for strategy in battles.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
  6. Spellbinder

Spellbinder LOMA Studios ~ Graphic Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    I came in at 7 on and had never played final fantasy before. it seemed complicated but once i got into it i loved it. same with 8 9 10 and 10-2. 12 was eh... but not too bad. 10-2 was more girly but it had some nice aspects to it. personally i am a fan so i enjoy it, it just has to be the right mood for me to play it. lately i have been on a slump with not just console but also mmos, still the final fantasy series (what i have played) is a game i would play more than once :p

7. Kotaro

Kotaro Übernerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've very much enjoyed basically every main-series game (yes, even X-2), and most of the spin-offs, though I do feel that some are better than others. My favorites are, in order, VI, IX, V, I, and IV. I also play Dissidia 012 on a regular basis (favored characters are Terra and Yuna).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
  8. servantb7

servantb7 Servantb7 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I can understand Vaan not being your favorite character (though I kind of liked the part of the story with his brother), but XII is so much fun to play. The battles and exploring have a good pace to them (no random battles!), and I loved the Hunt sidequests. In many ways they were just as fun as the main storyline.

9. Kread-EX

Kread-EX You're all bakas Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I really liked FFXII despite its flaws, and one of said flaws was the pacing to be honest. It sometimes felt like a MMO.

10. Kotaro

Kotaro Übernerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Because XII was originally designed as an MMO. Seriously, look it up. After the relative succes of XI, Square wanted to follow it up with another one, set in their popular setting of Ivalice. For some reason, midway through development, they elected to make it a single-player game instead, not returning to MMO development until XIV. Part of me wishes that XII had become an MMO in the end, because being able to play as an Ivalician Moogle would have been awesome (theyr'e so cute and yet so badass...).

This also kind of explains why Vaan has basically no relation to the plot; he's the stand-in for what would have been the generic/customizable player character during story quests.

11. Ooda

Ooda Hm, You Called? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I stopped playing Final Fantasy after FF:12

I gave FF13 a shot but I couldn't bring myself to grasp the story like I did the others.

(Oh, and I love Final Fantasy IX.)

12. GeneralCraezy

GeneralCraezy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I love FF :lol:

Speaking of which, does anyone fancy a HD collection of FF games on the wii u? Check out my sig ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
  13. Kotaro

Kotaro Übernerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, that's never going to happen, especially with the PSX games.

14. GeneralCraezy

GeneralCraezy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    People can dream :p Besides, SE have said that they will think about it if there's enough people interested :D

15. William

William Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Eh. During my first playthrough, I really didn't like FFX. But then I gave it another go and ended up liking it, even though I feel it's a bit overrated. FFXI actually did very well and I did play it for a good while even though it had it's own flaws. FFXII is my favorite "modern" FF game. And I liked all three of those more than VII and VIII, so I dunno about that. I guess that statement is just subjective to opinion.

Anyhow, I've played every FF game, spin-offs and all, aside from anything past XII since I don't own a PS3 or Xbox360 anymore (and I'm not going to play the mobile phone games). And I definitely wouldn't even attempt to give XIV a try, considering all the beyond horrible reviews I've seen about how broken and empty it is.

I'm more of an old-school FF player. My favorites, in this order: FFVI, FFV, FFIV. VI, I was addicted to for years. This is also before I realized there were other RPGs outside of the FF series too though (I admit, I was young and naive). I've liked nearly every FF game I've played, aside from... FFVII, VIII, and the entire Crystal Chronicles series. *shrugs* I'm not really too into the FF series like I used to be anyhow. There's way too many better RPG series out there. BUT. I would kill for a FFVI "War of the Magi" prequel or some type of remake/sequel. There was a prequel fangame being made but I'm not too sure what happened with that.

16. Hesufo

Hesufo Homu! Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I think Final Fantasy might just be the most influential of RPG franchises, in terms of my RPG-making practices. Other series, such as Golden Sun and Etrian Odyssey, come close.

I'm also an old-school FF player, and my favorite was FFVII. It just expanded so much on the series, gameplay and story-wise. It gave you a lot to do, the story was compelling and while the localisation wasn't exactly bright, it still did its job. I believe it has its place among console RPGs well-earned.

17. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    FF ended with FF8 then they tried to go back right with FF9 and FF Tactics but then the series in now lost to me since Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobou Uematsu left Square Enix.

Another to look at it is when Squaresoft became Square Enix FF tanked.

[​IMG]

18. Dr.Yami

Dr.Yami 。◕‿◕。 Developer

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    What? 1 hour?

I got Airship, flied like no tomorrow and got nothing =)

19. William

William Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Well... I recently picked up a Xbox 360 since my last post and Final Fantasy XIII was one of the titles I grabbed. It may take me a while to get into it. I'm not very far into it, but so far I'm not really liking the battle system. It's not worse than The Last Remnant, but it's relatively close IMO. :| Does the game get -better- as far as the combat goes? Or is this what I have to look forward to throughout the entire game? In the meantime, I've quit playing and opted to play Tales of Vesperia instead.

20. Sam T. Eagle

Sam T. Eagle Cooking Disaster Member

First Language:
    English
    Final Fantasy XIII? You should toss it out before it stinks up your house. There are people who say the game becomes good once you get 20 hours in, but it's only slightly less obvious that you're stuck in a hallway and some rooms disguised as pretty environments, and your big reward are some sidequests which basically amount to "magic rock tells you to kill x monster". That isn't even a good reason to buy anything. And the story remains to be the "Fal'Cie l'Cie Cie'th Apostro'Cie" mess where most of the progagonists are being histrionic throughout much of the story. The first Dragon Quest game had more freedom in gameplay than Final Fantasy XIII does.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012