Final Fantasy X fan project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dejonel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
So purely for fun and as a learning experiment I'm recreating Final Fantasy X on RPGMMV. Any suggestions on resource packs would be greatly appreciated, the default ones are rather lacking in recreating the look and feel of the game. Also any suggestions on how to recreate or at least resemble the sphere grid and aeons would be greatly appreciated. It's probably my favorite game so I have the sound track and am able to put that in which I feel is a nice touch. I'm new at this so I'm mainly doing it as a way to learn how to properly scale and format everything from maps to monsters. Any suggestions or tips would be fantastic. Thanks! :D

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't want to be mean, but that's a bit too big for a single person to accomplish for their first project, don't you think? Love the ambition, but maybe you should aim a little lower. That's a huge game to make when you barely know the engine. Give yourself a more manageable goal. Like a one month deadline for a 15 minute adventure. Or maybe use a short story and make a game from that. Making something like FFX in RM would just burn you out and discourage using the engine completely.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't want to be mean, but that's a bit too big for a single person to accomplish for their first project, don't you think? Love the ambition, but maybe you should aim a little lower. That's a huge game to make when you barely know the engine. Give yourself a more manageable goal. Like a one month deadline for a 15 minute adventure. Or maybe use a short story and make a game from that. Making something like FFX in RM would just burn you out and discourage using the engine completely.
Very true. You forget that these are skilled professionals who have worked on making that game for a very long time. I don't know how long the game is but if you want a game similar to it, I think you should just shorten it, don't go crazy on scripts (I learned that the hard way) and make a simpler and more personalized version of it. A lot of people have tried to imitate Final Fantasy/ Kingdom Hearts, but often they use RM default sprites with very little customization. Though, if you hate the traditional battle system as much as I do, there have been several requests for FF battle systems, so look around and see what you find. 

Alistair

Treasure Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't want to be mean, but that's a bit too big for a single person to accomplish for their first project

Listen to this. It will save you from a lot of frustration. FFX is a HUGE game. Its development began in 1999 with over 100 people working on it. It was released in 2001/2002.

You're a single person, meaning it will at least take you double the amount of time if not longer.

I'm not trying to discourage you but you clearly don't seem to realise how much effort it would take to recreate it. Soundtrack is not the only thing needed for it to feel like the original game. You will need a lot of plugins, and that's only for battle! Think about the monster arena or the chocobo minigames.

As @Uzuki already suggested, I'd advise you to start with something way smaller. It takes motivation and determination to make a game and the larger the game the more you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There's also the legal issues to consider, as you will be unable to share said game with anyone legally, unless Square gives permission. Otherwise, you will always be living in fear of getting that dreaded C and D and/or a fine for using copywritten assets.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
IMHO you will never be able to recreate the feel of it unless you have the graphics that look like the ones from the game and also the soundtrack. Both of which would most probably lead you (and the ones who will create the resources for you) to legal problems with Square unless you obtain their permission to use/recreate those resources.

The systems would probably be fine though and there are sphere grid and summoning systems back on Ace, not sure if there's already ones made on MV though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This part of the forum is for discussing the design of game mechanics, not for general advice on resources etc.

As others have said, this sounds a bit too ambitious as a learning project.  Can I suggest you have a close look at a couple of threads by Andar.  The first one is a general compilation of information needed by new users on the basics of the engine.  Although compiled for Ace, nearly all of it fits for MV.  Working through it now will save you a huge amount of time and frustration.  The second one is his blog on tutorials and tips.  Again, looking at this will be very helpful at this stage of your knowledge.

As your query is a mixture of requests for resources and general advice there is no single place to move it to.  So...

It is being closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with The Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!
I have a specialized class on intellectual property this semester (on Patent and Trademarks, Copyrights is next semester). Only had a quick overview of that in previous business law classes. I'll be able to help more people here when it comes to knowing what to do and your rights for intellectual property!
When you wanna write another pedantic post of your views on game dev... but your cousin and aunt have invited you to bowling
"Hey there! Hope you're having a nice day, you are awesome!"

(Of course the hand is awful :kaoswt: )
I need a new option on YouTube that goes "Dont recommend videos/channels in this language because I do not speak it"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meektot