stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have been having this problem for 1 year, but recently it has been more and more frequent.

The engine crashes with no error message, it simply closes itself when I do any of the following:
  • When I press "Apply" button
  • When I change the map
  • When I change to other database tab
  • When I save the project (this is the worst case)
Some context:
  • I am on Windows 10
  • I bought RMMV from Steam
  • I have more than 100 maps
  • I am not running any antivirus
  • I am running Discord and Google Chrome only
now that I mention it, I begun to use Discord recently and this person having crashes also use it... Discord shows some notifications over RMMV engine, even over the database window, maybe Discord is the cause :kaomad3:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you disable Discord (and disable it from starting when Windows starts), then reboot, can you do the above things without the crashing issue?

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I will test and let you know, I hope this help me and others having this issue :kaojoy:

=== EDIT ===

Ok,
  • Is not Discord
  • Is not GeForce Experience
Investigating other possible causes
  • Steam
  • Chrome
  • RPG Maker MV itself XD

Last edited:

The Row

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
A shot in the dark.
But, do you have free space on the drive you are using?

Had a simular issue with another program five or so years ago... think it was an image program, can't recall, anyway....
Turns out that it crashed due to the size of a temp file the program was creating when changing things was to large for the drive (where it kept its temp files)

I know its a shot in the dark, but make sure you have enough disk-drive space. Also make sure the program isn't on a damaged drive or in damaged clusters as this can cause "diskdrive read/write errors".

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Good idea!

My disk is not really empty... it is on red
1620267569688.png
so, I will try cleaning it and lets see if it helps.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
delete unneeded stuff, empty deleted items folder, run defrag (wow, that's a blast from the past!)

Good luck.

The Row

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I might be wrong, but I want to recall that a red disk isn't as much an indicator of low disk space, as in "too low" disk space to run maintainance.
Windows has since forever ago (I think it was windows 7, so as Shaz said, blast from the past), been able to run disk maintainence on boot or while in an idle state. However to do so it needs a % of the disk drive space free. That red means that you have not enough disk space free to run maintanence on the computer (or rather, not enough for it to run by itself.)
If this has gone on for a very long time, your disk is probably a mess.
(Don't worry, it shouldn't break from it... I think, I mean more like an untidy room with dirty undies thrown on the sofa, more so, than a wrecked car)
It might have trouble reading files due to the way the files are crammed into the disk.
(To use the dirty room methaphoor, it might need a file (sock), that is under the sofa somewhere, or it might be in the dishwasher, perhaps in the guarden next to the dogs burried bone. Finding it causes problems when the disk is in this state.)

I hope cleaning it up will help, if not, try running a chkdsk to see if there is any damage on the disk. With some luck chkdsk should be able to fix it. (I think windows runs this too every now and then, or a version thereoff, provided there is enough space.)
(Only run chkdsk if you know what you are doing and have administrive rights on your pc. and remember to do back ups before, just in case.)

Best of luck.

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was just about to start a new thread about this problem.
The engine crashes because of memory issues:
crash.PNG

For some reason memory usage will just keep going up until the engine crashes at around 1.2MB.

I remember a few years ago I had posted a video of the engine crashing while I scrolled through the animation database (Thread) but now with my new game I'm developing this is happening more and more frequently. I can only work for around 10min at a time before I have to close the engine and restart to clear the memory. Needless to say, this is a big hassle.

Last edited:

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sadly cleaning my disk didn't help, I even moved the project to a new disk and the problem persists.

I was just about to start a new thread about this problem.
The engine crashes because of memory issues:

For some reason memory usage will just keep going up until the engine crashes at around 1.2MB.

I remember a few years ago I had posted a video of the engine crashing while I scrolled through the animation database (Thread) but now with my new game I'm developing this is happening more and more frequently. I can only work for around 10min at a time before I have to close the engine and restart to clear the memory. Needless to say, this is a big hassle.

Thank you for this answer.

I think you are totally right, while more advance, more crashes, it works fine when I open the engine, I can save normally, the problem happens around 20 minutes later, I have more than 100 maps.

I also have that crash when I scroll the animation database.

The main problem for me is I already wrote the whole story for my game and I am less than 50% to finish it, that means I must work for the next 1 or 2 years crashing every 10 minutes.

I wonder if there is any way to report this bug to developers.

I also wonder if this problem continues in RPG Maker MZ.

This is demotivating me.

Last edited:

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I FOUND THE PROBLEM AND THE SOLUTION!
Please, tell me where should I post the following information to help people having this problem.

The problem:

RPG Maker MV is a 32-bit program, that means it is limited to 2 GB of ram.

1622325243343.png

The program is not really crashing, Windows close it to avoid memory issues.

To avoid this, RMMV has a dumping system, when the RAM reaches 1.99GB it deletes old cache files and everything goes fine, except for 2 cases:

1. When you press the save button, and you are using 1.91GB ram (or more), the saving process consume 100MB more, resulting in 2.01GB and Windows forces the program to close.

2. It seems like the dumping routine runs each 1 or 2 seconds, when you scroll a database fast enough, the ram can go over 2GB before the dumping routine runs also causing Windows to close it.

1622325677991.png

The solution:

There are many programs on internet to turn 32-bit programs into 64-bit programs, after turning them, the program continues looking like a 32-bit program but can use until 4GB ram, enough to let the engine make its dumping routine normally.

I tested this one: https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

And is working like a charm, no more crashes!

If you need a guide to how to install it and patch the program read this one:

To find where the executable is, on the task manager press right click on the RPG maker process and select "Open file location"

1622326131179.png

I hope this info help people like me, @fluffymonster , @Pots Talos and others having crashes.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes you Just need to realise someone is beyond help... Still hard to walk away tho :(
100 Horror/Tragedy Sample Maps, Penguin Mech Sprite, & TileD Templates | RPG Maker News #70

Continuing working on abs. So far I have done the workout twice. I am excited to see the results after a couple of weeks. How is everyone doing? :)
MZ: oh boy imma work today
Me, excited: Really?
MZ, doesn't do what I tell It too
Me: I Thought-
MZ: I am Working!
Oof, this "side project" of mine is starting to get as complex as a VS plugin, at least as far as plugin parameters are concerned. I think I now understand why a plugin like this doesn't already exist(that I know of). Learning a lot while trying to make it work though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghanovdn