Finding an ideal target screen resolution

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aesica, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, while testing out the latest cutscene/event sequence in my game, it dawned on me as I pressed F4 and stared into the middle-of-screen box that presented me with the usual New Game, Continue, etc option list: At some point, I need to think about what screen resolution I want this thing to target.

This is 2018, so I find it hard to believe that the default 4:3-based resolution is going to offer a very interesting experience to players. So, in general, what's considered a good target resolution? What is everyone using for their target screen resolution? Since I'm sure it will help, the target platform for this game will be PC/Steam, provided it isn't complete garbage when I'm done. ;)

2. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I use 1280x720. It's the typical 720p, which is widely supported and easy to scale since it's a 16:9 aspect ratio, the most commonly used aspect ratio (especially if you're talking PC gaming). And oppositely from 1080p, the character's sprites don't look too small in 720p.

Eliaquim, atoms, Wavelength and 2 others like this.
  3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For 2D based game, the laptop resolution imo should be the maximum resolution you could have (1366x768). Beyond that, the pixel would shrink the image, like two pixel becomes one pixel so the image is not clear.

16:9 aspect ratio would be my way to go. It looks crisps in todays gaming, and maybe also sells to other people too, but I don't mind either with 4:3 aspect ratio. I tend to wander around like reading a chat while playing the game and the game window doesn't block my entire screen.

Frogboy likes this.
  4. Grunwave

Grunwave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am not an expert, but I did explore several options for my project which is targeting mobile phones.

I ended up on 1280x720 because of information I read during my research.

I had to change A LOT of things in my project to make this new resolution work, as I was already a year into it.

When I thought I had every graphic where it should be, I finally tried an Android deployment. I discovered a lot of issues with font sizes, targeting, and some miscellaneous items. I spent another 100 hours refining those necessary adaptions.

I still believe that mobile deployment necessitates a 16:9 aspect ratio. I do not know if you could attain this with a "better" resolution than 720p.

This ratio is important because it is the ratio of mobile device screens.

5. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My two games use 1110x624 which is the default resolution stretched out to 16x9. I plan to try out 1104x624 next time as a suggestion from Yanfly. While not truly 16x9, it's very close and makes both the height and width divisible by 48 (the tile size) which means that no partial tiles would need rendered.

6. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    most computers come with a 16:9 screen by default nowadays.
    resolution shouldn't be as important as aspect ratio.

(unless you *reaaaaaally* want to go crazy and use 4:3, for a retro look, or some interesting graphic effect, or whatever)

Romanticist likes this.
  7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is no perfect solution, because there are several rules that should be followed when deciding on game screen size:

1) Game screen size becomes minimum requirement for hardware.
    If you set the screen size too high, then all gamers with a monitor of a lower size can no longer play the game.
    And there are still a lot of people with small screens, especially on laptops.

2) screen size should be divisible by grid size
    default grid size for MV is 48x48. if your screen size is not a multiple of that, then you'll get fragments through your screen.
    And those fragments are more than just the partial tiles at the end of the screens, the engine creates lines through the entire map because it was never programmed to handle cases where the screen size is not multiples of the tile size.

3) screen size becomes minimum map size
    again, the engine gets into trouble trying to display a map that is smaller than one screen - the map gets doubled and so on.
    This either requires you to have black map areas around smaller maps, or reveals more of the map with larger maps.
    That might be what you want, or it might interfere with the difficulty of labyrinth-type maps and puzzles.

Eliaquim, Aesica and TakeHomeTheCup like this.
  8. DivideByZero

DivideByZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    atoms, Wavelength and Aesica like this.
  9. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RPG Maker's thing is making old school-like RPG's, so I find the 4:3 ratio working out pretty well.

(Main pet peeve with wide screen RPG Maker games is when they have text boxes that stretch from one end of the screen to the other. It's a pain to read text like that.)

Romanticist and Aesica like this.
  10. Grunwave

Grunwave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    One of the many changes I had to made to get to 720p. Yanfly's Message Core has an auto width setting =)

11. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was hoping to find. 16:9 club, here I come I suppose! :D

I'm not too concerned with that since I can always cheat by making the dungeon dark and giving the player a light bubble. Since everything is currently placeholder right now (map layouts included) I'll just have to focus on designing maps to take into account the larger screen size. Definitely good points to keep in mind though.

Oh I completely agree. In fact, I've done a bit of looking into this and I find that not only do people prefer to read text from narrower boxes, but also, with larger fonts and fewer lines per page. I know I personally find it much easier to read through even a lot of dialog if it's not stretching across the entire screen, whereas one long textbox with a small font is really unpleasant to look at. I'm pretty sure that's why newspapers, magazines, and other such websites all present articles in narrower columns rather than having each article span the entire width of the page.

So yeah, I'll definitely be keeping my text box and font as they are now, regardless of any aspect ratio changes I make.

DivideByZero and Milennin like this.
  12. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since trying out different combinations, also the ones on this thread, I also love @MushroomCake28 suggestion the most, 1280x720. To me it looks good on my type of laptop anyway.

Also intresting what @DivideByZero discovered about 16:9 too.

DivideByZero and MushroomCake28 like this.
  13. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1280 is not divisible by 48. It would be much better if you use 1248x720 instead.
    If you use 1280, you'll sometimes see distortions in the form of vertical black lines between tiles, or that sometimes events do not correctly line up with the tiles themselves - if you search through the forums you'll find several posts of those errors.

However, I admit that these distortions are minor and might not be a problem for you because you need to look carefully to see them.
    just remember that the game screen size does not need to follow the conventional windows screen sizes, most display cards adapt with small black borders around the gamescreen if the difference is small like the difference between 1248 and 1280. And for some people two small black borders right and left (in this case each 16 pixels only) are better than having the distortions inside the map.

14. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar As long as you don't play too much with the map camera (with plugins for instance) and you use maps that are at least 27x15 (to not have any black area on the map), the graphical glitches are barely noticeable. I personally never had black spots or distortions (only had them when I played with the map camera, that's all).

And personally, not having black bars on the side or up and down is a greater priority than rare graphical glitches. But I can understand why someone would prefer to not have those glitches over black bars.

15. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just for closure, after trying out a few recommendations here, I ended up settling on 1104x624 for the following reasons:
    1. Both dimensions are divisible by 48 to avoid graphical glitches.
    2. When set to fullscreen, it completely fills my viewport. While not true 16:9 as pointed out, it's so close that nobody will ever know the difference.
    3. It doesn't add too many additional tiles to the viewport (+6, +0), meaning mapmaking won't be complicated all that much.
    4. It just looks great overall--much better than it did with big black bars along the sides using the default resolution.
    Thanks again. :)

Eliaquim, atoms, MaGicBush and 4 others like this.
  16. Grunwave

Grunwave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Maple and Frogboy like this.
  17. Maple

Maple Adventure hard! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It depends on your graphic assets. If you're making/using truly pixel-based art, then anything that can scale evenly (h x w)by 8 is preferred, as this can scale up nicely x 2 and retain decent clarity. If you're using anything else, then nearly any resolution of 16:9 ratio will scale nicely on most pc sceens. 1280 x 720 can work well if you have larger maps to fill. Otherwise 960 x 528 is a close compromise to 16:9 and is divisible each way by 48. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    JosephSeraph and atoms like this.
  18. DivideByZero

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The ideal target resolution is the devices native resolution. :)

atoms likes this.
  19. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the advice and letting me know about this issue. Since then, I'm still experimenting now, but so far I still do really like 1280x720. For me I haven't seen distorted black lines but I'll keep a look out if and make sure to change the resolution if they ever start appearing even in just things like events.

@DivideByZero Well, if most of your audience that is going to play your game is from a different location from you, you'd probably want to choose the most popular device resolution of those locations over yours.

20. DivideByZero

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That's exactly what I meant.

Target the device resolution that the game is running on irrespective of what that may be. (i.e. Query the devices native resolution at run time and work around that - everyone is happy then :))

Maple and atoms like this.