Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Khetrani
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello.

So i was thinking of doing something to reach out to people who might actually be interested in my game.

The problem is i have no idea where to even begin.

I have the game demo up, just not sure how to find my target audience and then reach them.

What would you guys suggest?

BTW Game link: https://colocoko.itch.io/gerald-ventures-demo

TheAM-Dol

Randomly Generated User Name
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Reaching an audience is always tough, that's typically why most media produced has a marketing budget at least half the size of production budget.

As someone who markets a business, and is doing what I can to market my own upcoming game, my advice is to spread yourself out. This is this the exception to the rule: Now is the time for quantity over quality. Promote yourself in different forms in different places all over, and try not to have shame about what you are doing (self-promotion tends to be shamed on the internet for some reason, so try not to let that get to you)

Part of my own planned marketing strategy is utilizing my existing platform on Youtube. I'm pretty small as far as creators go - not even over 1k subs, but I didn't start doing RM stuff starting at 0 subs, and have been using that as a platform to not just promote other games (through game reviews) but also hopefully to get a small return once my own game is finished :LZSsmile:
The point I am trying to make: let me play your game on stream next week. I'm pretty brutal with my opinion, so hope you don't mind me not pulling punches.

Esoloist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Khetrani
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Reaching an audience is always tough, that's typically why most media produced has a marketing budget at least half the size of production budget.

As someone who markets a business, and is doing what I can to market my own upcoming game, my advice is to spread yourself out. This is this the exception to the rule: Now is the time for quantity over quality. Promote yourself in different forms in different places all over, and try not to have shame about what you are doing (self-promotion tends to be shamed on the internet for some reason, so try not to let that get to you)

Part of my own planned marketing strategy is utilizing my existing platform on Youtube. I'm pretty small as far as creators go - not even over 1k subs, but I didn't start doing RM stuff starting at 0 subs, and have been using that as a platform to not just promote other games (through game reviews) but also hopefully to get a small return once my own game is finished :LZSsmile:
The point I am trying to make: let me play your game on stream next week. I'm pretty brutal with my opinion, so hope you don't mind me not pulling punches.
Thanks for your insight.
I must admit i feel great shame for self promotion haha.
But i understand your point. Quality wont do anything here if it never reaches a sizable quantity of people.

Also thanks for the offer. So kind of you.

(A bit scary about not pulling punches though lol) But please, by all means be brutal about it. Just do tell me if you like something, negative only reviews are kinda depressing.

TheAM-Dol

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just do tell me if you like something, negative only reviews are kinda depressing.
Here is a link to the last game review stream I did to give you a sense of how it goes and what I pay attention to:

GodCiunas

The Idea Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You could send your demo to a few indie game critics on YouTube. Having some reviews and live gameplay even with a small group of subscribers can be beneficial and get people interested. Hit up indie game forums, you tube channels, post live reviews and gameplay on things like twitter and tik tok. Don’t be afraid to use social networks for advertising just make sure to keep it within guidelines. As for your audience. I would say a large target is going to be indie gamers, and mobile gamers. And maybe a small percentage of pc gamers. And if you think your advertising is boring or even your own videos are drawl there is no harm in asking friends or others for help in making it more lively and interesting. The hardest part of advertising especially nowadays is getting someone to pay attention even for one or two minutes. If you catch it in those first few minutes your chances of them actually taking enough time to look at it is increased almost 50%. I think sending a free demo to people to get it out there is a good idea. But there is also a lot of other marketing strategies.

Esoloist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Khetrani
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks!
You could send your demo to a few indie game critics on YouTube. Having some reviews and live gameplay even with a small group of subscribers can be beneficial and get people interested. Hit up indie game forums, you tube channels, post live reviews and gameplay on things like twitter and tik tok. Don’t be afraid to use social networks for advertising just make sure to keep it within guidelines. As for your audience. I would say a large target is going to be indie gamers, and mobile gamers. And maybe a small percentage of pc gamers. And if you think your advertising is boring or even your own videos are drawl there is no harm in asking friends or others for help in making it more lively and interesting. The hardest part of advertising especially nowadays is getting someone to pay attention even for one or two minutes. If you catch it in those first few minutes your chances of them actually taking enough time to look at it is increased almost 50%. I think sending a free demo to people to get it out there is a good idea. But there is also a lot of other marketing strategies.

Esoloist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Khetrani
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Hey. Not to bother you but do you have any plans to review my game in the near future? I would really appreciate if you can identify mistakes and weak points! Thanks!

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have a presskit? A presence on gamespress.com? Are you on alphabetagamer? Are you putting yourself out there where it matters, and not relying on pure social media and amateur outlets?

There's a bunch of stuff you can do, but there's a ton of questions to ask beforehand :D

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Get the publisher or influencer and make them interested in your game.
Optionally, participate in 'events' such as screenshot Saturday tag in Twitter or else.

Improving the quality of the game is as important as marketing because it's the factor that could hold the ground after your game is being known.

Esoloist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Khetrani
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have a presskit? A presence on gamespress.com? Are you on alphabetagamer? Are you putting yourself out there where it matters, and not relying on pure social media and amateur outlets?

There's a bunch of stuff you can do, but there's a ton of questions to ask beforehand :D
IDK what even half of those mean haha

Esoloist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Khetrani
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Check your itch page :LZSwink:
Thanks a lot for that! I got to learn a couple of things. Though that weird bit where someone accused me of harrasing made me kinda uncomfortable.

The level was supposed to be longer but you kinda took the shortest and quickest route possible. I should tweak that a bit XD

The game allows you to go in any order you want. Its just that i only have 3 missions made yet.

Thanks a bunch!

TheAM-Dol

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Though that weird bit where someone accused me of harrasing made me kinda uncomfortable.
I don't quite recall this, I'd need to watch my stream again, but what I do remember is the chat joking about @Fortunastreet harassing streamers since Fortuna is always present in both my streams and @SGHarlekin streams. I don't remember if that was during my play session with your game, but maybe there is a misunderstanding. I don't think the jokes were aimed at you.

Wait! Just before I clicked post reply I remembered SG Harlekin saying he had a dev harassing him in his private messages about his review of a game, and I asked if he was talking about you. We weren't accusing you. I'm guessing this is what you are talking about?

Edit:
The point of that is not to minimalize what you felt, just an explanation of what may have been going on. Regardless, I'm sorry about the accusations that came up. I'll be more mindful of what's said during my streams both from myself and the chat.

Last edited:

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't quite recall this, I'd need to watch my stream again, but what I do remember is the chat joking about @Fortunastreet harassing streamers since Fortuna is always present in both my streams and @SGHarlekin streams. I don't remember if that was during my play session with your game, but maybe there is a misunderstanding. I don't think the jokes were aimed at you.

Wait! Just before I clicked post reply I remembered SG Harlekin saying he had a dev harassing him in his private messages about his review of a game, and I asked if he was talking about you. We weren't accusing you. I'm guessing this is what you are talking about?

Edit:
The point of that is not to minimalize what you felt, just an explanation of what may have been going on. Regardless, I'm sorry about the accusations that came up. I'll be more mindful of what's said during my streams both from myself and the chat.
True, at no point of the stream have I talked about any of the games from the streams (Well, not their devs at least) And the "Harrassment" things that were brought up (even though I'm relatively sure I didn't call it that, but who knows.) Because it fit the theme of the stream that wasn't part of the reviews. "Devs: Don't do this". Either way, just jumped on here since I got mentioned.
Good luck with y'alls games.

Esoloist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Khetrani
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Edit:
Oh, they were talking about someone else?
Thats awkward. Sorry. I thought that commenter person was talking about me. Lol this is embarrasing.
Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Esoloist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Khetrani
Primarily Uses
RMMV
True, at no point of the stream have I talked about any of the games from the streams (Well, not their devs at least) And the "Harrassment" things that were brought up (even though I'm relatively sure I didn't call it that, but who knows.) Because it fit the theme of the stream that wasn't part of the reviews. "Devs: Don't do this". Either way, just jumped on here since I got mentioned.
Good luck with y'alls games.
Oh. Sorry about that. It seemed that someone was talking about me which was kinda weird but it turns out it was just a misunderstanding.

NamEtag

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Present your game's hook in 3 screenshots OR a 10 second clip.

If you can fit it in that, you have a lot more options on where to advertise it.

If you just copy how the appstore stuff does it, you won't stand out at all, though.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

working on an A/V sync system for my game! was NOT expecting the first roadblock to be accessing a variable from a public class!! Computers are so finicky sometimes :kaosigh:
For the first real time since my game's inception I found myself actually having fun playing around with my party's skills while testing out some battles! So much so, that I actually forgot what I was doing for a minute and had to force myself to move on to the next thing! :guffaw:

That's got to be a good sign considering it only has place holder animations, enemy skills, troop comps, etc. right now. Feels good!
Bex
Finally upgraded to RMMZ.
ScreenShot_11_28_2022_7_52_34.png
FINALLY, I figured out how to get the "tail" to appear IN the window and not directly below it lol. now it looks like it's part of the window and not hanging from the bottom of it.
Twitch! Stream is about to go live with some Dark Souls 2! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hahah520