Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
For my current project I'm thinking about hiring voice actors for the main characters and story relevant dialogue. Of course this is not cheap at all and since I don't need to rush anything I would like to know if you have some experience in this field.

Have you ever worked with voice actors over the internet? If yes, how did you recruit them?

I already found a few portals to hire voice actors and I think I could work with them but before I do that (and before I invest a lot of money ;-) and wanted to ask if you perhaps know a place with a good price/performance factor.

McTricky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hello, voice actor as well as someone currently using voice actors in their own game here.

If your game is going to be commercial, you'll find that most talented amateur voice actors would be willing to work around your budget. Likewise, if it's non-commercial, you'll find that a lot of them are also willing to volunteer their voice for free. Not all, but most. When making a casting call, or contacting a voice actor it's important to mention what your budget is like, or whether or not it's a non-commercial project.

In my game, all my voice actors are volunteered and I've got talent that have credits in anime, abridged series, video games, and the like.

Zevia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are a couple people on here who do paid voice work - myself included. If you post in the classifieds section with more details about the work you have, you could generate some replies. For other RM developers, I've done work with Artbane for his Steam release Labyrinthine Dreams, as well as with Saintivan for his upcoming Steam release Sydney's World. A lot of the initial communication was here on the RMWeb forums.

Assuming you're not looking to go through talent agencies or hire SAG/AFTRA voice actors (which is going to run you some serious bucks, almost certainly outside the budget of an indie developer), then it's really going to be about creating some audition material, deciding what you're looking to spend, and listening to and negotiating with everyone on a person-by-person basis.

For community forums, you can try the RMWeb forums, Reddit's voice acting subreddit, the Voice Acting Alliance, or the Voice Acting Club. If you're looking for a pay-per-project kind of deal, you could take a look at Voicebunny, Voice123, or Fiverr. None of those sources are necessarily a good price/performance ground, though - if there was one for-sure "good price per performance" area, everybody would be using it and there wouldn't be a need for all the various forums and websites.

Probably your best bet would be to find other indie games or other RM games that feature voice acting that you like, then ask those developers for recommendations on voice actors - or else just post auditions in the classifieds section with a range of what you're looking to spend.

Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for the feedback and tips I think I have a good way to start now.

Main problem is of course that I'm not 100% sure if I want to go commercial yet. I probably will, but we'll see. 

I'm not doing a full audition of course, I simply do not have THAT much money, but of course I know that voice acting may not come cheap. Thanks for the information regardless :)

Zevia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should have some kind of excerpt for people to read, though. An audition of a couple minutes' worth of dialogue, with different emotions and delivery styles for a handful of lines will go a very long way for you in determining who you want to hire. Anyone who's going to be worth working with should also not have any issues with submitting several lines of dialogue for each character they'd like to voice for you.

I'd recommend not to just pull the first few lines for each character, either, and if you can get someone to voice multiple characters - say, one main character and then a handful of minor ones, if you're doing full VO for the game - then that would be best. Find lines where a character is either neutral, excited, sad, angry, or what-have-you - maybe someone delivers casual conversation fine, but when it comes time to sound like they just lost their best friend, they really fall flat. Of course, I don't know what kind of game you're making - if it's comedic, make sure they can pick up on the timing of your lines without much trouble.

If you put that kind of work into your auditions, it will give your potential voice actors a better idea of what kind of characters you're looking to bring to life, as well as give you a better idea of what kind of performance any given actor is going to bring to the table.

Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
I totally forgot about the part where a main character could also voice a few (of course not too many) minor characters. This is really helpful (as well as the rest for your tipps) and I will think about the possibilities this brings.

RoseofCrimson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Freelancer.org

Voice talent search

voiceactoralliance

Google.

Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok, that is literally the most useless answer ever. Please read the first post of thread completely before you answer it. 

I already found a few portals to hire voice actors and I think I could work with them but before I do that (and before I invest a lot of money ;-) and wanted to ask if you perhaps know a place with a good price/performance factor.
There already were really helpful answers in this thread, I have no idea why you have the feeling that "Google" or some random Websites thrown together would be helpful in any way.

DoctorMolotov

Adrenochrome...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'd be willing to help.

I don't exactly have experience therefore don't really care for compensation, but I do know how to record my voice and I can do variations or accents and what not.

PM me if you're interested!

RoseofCrimson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ok, that is literally the most useless answer ever. Please read the first post of thread completely before you answer it. 

There already were really helpful answers in this thread, I have no idea why you have the feeling that "Google" or some random Websites thrown together would be helpful in any way.
It's an answer as in what I use. I had been tired when I posted.

Freelancer.org ( https://www.freelancer.com/projects/Voice-Talent/Role-playing-video-game-visual )

Voice talent search ( https://www.voices.com/talents/search?keyword=&category_id=9&gender=female&language_id=1&voice_age_id=5&search= )

Voiceactoralliance ( http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/forumdisplay.php?184-Original-Visual ) I have a thread here in 2007.

Google. ( https://www.google.com/search?q=where+to+find+voice+actors&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 )

... I fail how to see how it's useless as those are the most useful sites I use.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1638170340913.png
Crossover Inn is getting very crowded, and I love it
Climbing to the top #mapping
1638160732198.png
I've started the first steps of the final few maps that I need to make for B:ms. I haven't been able to say that in a really, really long time. It'd probably be a good idea to blog about this or something.
Question for the Mods: What am I supposed to do when I can't make a synopsis 350 words long? (for project recruitment thread) @Shaz @mlogan
The game is meant to be more on the simple side in order to be achievable so I'm a bit stuck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmatmoney