Finish a project and lack of inspiration.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soul Tech, Jan 3, 2018.

?

Have you finished a project?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Working on it

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. Soul Tech

Soul Tech Time Traveler Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello everyone, I am suffering from the syndrome of the blank sheet, a long time ago. I'm stuck, for years I've been using rpg maker, from 2k3 to ace ... however after about twenty abandoned projects I do not know what to do anymore, I have the knowledge about how to approach a project but I do not want to use the RTP (not because I do not like it) I am a graphic designer but I have the bad luck of being anxious and a perfectionist. The heart of the matter is that I want to start a serious project but I do not find the appropriate topic, I'm looking to design something unique but not as ambitious as an open world or anything like that or give the player the battles in turn of a lifetime that already they used hundreds of times. I already documented about the multiple ways to get inspiration but still can not start a new project that makes me want to work every day, a project that I like to play and that, if it came up, like someone else .

I would like to hear the words of those who have had the consistency to finish a project, they liked it and they have shared it.

Thank you for listening to me, I am one of the most with this dilemma.

EpicFILE likes this.
  2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That used to be me. I started from XP era, then VX, and Ace. Never really tried to make a finished project, until I really wanted to finish a project no matter what happen (I wanted to proof my concept and wanted to know the feel of having a finished project). I guess it was around 4 canceled projects before I finished one. Now, I'm not the one who have a consistency to finish project because I don't have much developing skill, but I did finish a project and I'm proud of it.

You may often heard an advice on start from a small project. That's pretty much true. Usually, that's for learning the engine before you do your actual dream game. But no, it also works as a test bed for the mechanic you're trying to make. You may have a design of a certain mechanic that you feel it's amazing, but it won't do anything if you don't try it in real game.

Try to make a just small game of 2 - 3 hours of gameplay just to proof your concept. It feels refreshing that you might learn one or two things from your own concept and how to work with it. And once you grasp the idea of it, you like it and you gonna share it. Then you might want to start to try it for a bigger scale

EpicFILE and Soul Tech like this.
  3. Soul Tech

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes, i understand what you mean and i have a project ended on XP but it is what you say "the small game"... i know the feel of complete a little project but i dont have maked it for me, i maded the small game for a person as a gift soo dont count as a personal goal to me, its not the "dream project" game you wanted to finish and enjoy to play... i dont know if explain myself xd

4. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Both of my completed projects were for game jams. It was the challenge of trying to get something out quick and the knowledge that people would give it a shot that drove me to completion. Ironically, my dream project is the one that I've fizzled on. I just don't know if RPG Maker has enough resources to take it all the way. Hopefully, I'll get back into it someday but I'm more enjoying doing smaller projects that I can experiment around with and figure out how to do some of the more challenging things.

EpicFILE and Soul Tech like this.
  5. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree with most of @TheoAllen 's advice.

Another useful advice is think about 1 game mechanic that triggers your curiosity.
    A very simple mechanic but fun to make. Something you never play but you want to play it.

Realm Crosser is a game about a dude who can get in and out of his physical body. (kinda like astral projection)
    That mechanic is easily done with events. And I have fun making it.

Maybe deadline would help too.
    It's like a psychological trick that lets you move on from your perfectionist side. :D

Soul Tech likes this.
  6. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm right there with Frogboy. I completed a project for a game jam, I have a "dream" project on hiatus at the moment. Game jams are fun and force you to see something to completion. I have a proof of concept project I started after IGMC that is dead in the water but it allowed me to iron some ideas out. Now I'm working on a horror game for a jam against some big boys that are using Unity and Unreal Engines, but I just want to make a horror title and the dead line of the jam makes me want to finish.

Soul Tech, Frogboy and EpicFILE like this.
  7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  8. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Torbjörn, from Overwatch.

my approach in a nutshell.

right now, I'm stuck figuring out a module for my game.
    I had a TF2 map in the works from about a year ago.... as of this moment, I'm finishing it up.
    it's been a year on hold, now in just three days I dusted it up, wrapped it, and packed it.
    I picked up working on the RM game, because I was stuck working on the TF2 map.
    ..... that's how I multitask XD

Soul Tech likes this.
  9. Requiem

Requiem Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're your harshest critic.

Maybe release it in episodic format, get feedback.

You'd be surprised by what people find "good". What I find to be hilarious or very well written often fall flat on the audience, while stuff I find almost mundane makes a very good impression.

Soul Tech and Frogboy like this.
  10. Soul Tech

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I realized that I am too critical of myself, perfection does not exist, nor is it a AAA project ... but I just started a new one and I'm going to stick to it with all my strength until I finish it, I thank all the comments , I think the limit is this, be as consistent as possible. :cutesmile::thumbsup-right:

Frogboy likes this.