RMXP Fire Fly (8-Bit Sci-Fi fantasy game)

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Auburnnie, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Auburnnie

Auburnnie Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT PROJECT
    As you may know, there is currently an amazing sale on RPG Maker MV for the weekend (75% off! Wow!). Because of this, I will be buying RPG Maker MV for steam. I can't guarantee this, but this project may migrate from RMXP to RMMV because of this. I'll keep you posted, but until then I'll keep this project listed under XP.

Gameplay Mechanics
    The basic area structure is inspired by the classic Megaman titles, but instead of there being eight levels with a unique boss there will be six large areas (usually concentrated in a town) with different quests, dungeons, and unique random encounters and boss. Upon "purifying" a boss (see story summary) they will join your party. There will be an element for every boss that is powerful against one other boss' element (like Megaman boss weaknesses). Mostly just bosses will have (strong) attacks with these elements, making them most useful when executing them. However, this also means less variety in move element variety for bosses. To balance difficulty (which is especially important in an RPG with random encounters with levels) a boss and its area's random encounters' levels will vary depending on how many bosses you've beaten before visiting that area (for example, "if 4 bosses have been defeated boss level = X"). As areas will have dungeons, some dungeon encounter levels will stay in the same range to encourage re-exploring past areas and increase re-playability even further.

Characters
    Note: this area is especially WIP, as not many bosses have actually been designed or finalized. Some characters don't have sprites and yet and some names and abilities are subject to change.

Fire Fly (or just Fire)
    [​IMG]
    Notes:
    * Playable
    * Generally balanced character stats wise.
    * Large variety of elemental moves
    * Protagonist

Dr. Plover
    Notes:
    * Not playable
    * Generally unimportant outside of prologue
    * Thought to be possibly dead throughout most of game.
    * Created Fire Fly

Dr. Wren
    [​IMG]
    Notes:
    * Not playable
    * Supporting character

Leaf Hopper (or just Leaf)
    Notes:

* High Speed
    * Low HP
    * Decent Strength
    * Laid Back (cut scenes)

Stag Beetle (or just Stag)
    [​IMG]
    Notes:
    * Playable (boss)
    * High Strength
    * Lower Speed
    * Decent HP
    * Aggressive (cut scenes)

Sand Flea (or just Sand)
    Notes:
    * Playable (boss)
    * High Agility
    * Decent HP
    * Lower Strength
    * Introverted (cut scenes)

PLOT
    It's the dawn of the 22nd century. Humans and robots have long since coexisted, and there has been peace. However, due to this abundance of robots, system viruses are more prevalent around the world than ever before. To combat this issue, anti-viral advanced humanoid robots with insect-like features are developed. These robots have energy based weaponry capable of purifying corrupted data in other robots. One robotics expert, named Dr. Plover, develops an anti-viral robot named Glow Worm and works to advance the original design of the robots.

Several months later, the unthinkable happens. Across the globe there have been dozens of reports of anti-viral robots becoming corrupted and disabled. While the world is panicking, Dr. Plover begins work on countering the virus before it can get out of hand. Despite Glow Worm only being able to counter basic viruses at the time, he and Dr. Plover agree to seal him away in a Construction Cocoon where his anti-virus systems and weaponry can be upgraded over the course of a few weeks. To be known as Fire Fly upon release, Glow Worm was sealed away.

Instead of being awoken to Dr. Plover greeting him, Fire Fly is awoken by the computer's emergency systems unsealing all Construction Cocoons in the facility. Fire learns from the computer's blaring warnings that the building is under threat of collapse and that there is an exterior threat as the building begins to violently shake. Before Fire can regain stability on the shaking floor and run, something falls from the ceiling and crashes on him, exploding. Fire awakes laying on the street staring up at a mysterious man in front of him. The man introduces himself as Dr. Wren and explains that a week ago the world fell into chaos when six corrupted robots became violent and began to attack humans. He says that cities have mostly been evacuated and that those who stayed have hid in abandoned buildings to avoid patrolling corrupted robots. Upon being asked what happened in the facility, Dr. Wren explains that the floor Fire was on was destroyed by one of the six corrupted robots, but he went in to help any hiding humans out of the building upon seeing the robot approaching the building. While there he saw disabled Fire covered in wreckage and dragged him out. Wren comments that recently the six robots have been attacking scientific buildings for no apparent reason. However then a robot leaps from the shadows and smashes Dr. Wren down into the ground. The robot introduces himself as Stag Beetle, one of the six robots and the robot who attacked Dr. Plover's empty facility. He comments that "moldy" (Wren) should head indoors to see an upcoming television broadcast, before warping away.

The two locate a large building that isn't barricaded by inhabitants hiding inside only to realize that's only because the building was locked down. They blast through the door into the facility with Fire Fly's weaponry, though, and make it to a room with dusty several computer screens and emergency teleport systems. They realize that this was a government facility that had been evacuated via teleport soon after the outbreak of violence from infected robots. Once they get a computer running, they get a broadcast from the six robots declaring that six control points have been established around the world by them and, if the world governments don't surrender the human race to the robots within' 24 hours, there will be dire consequences. Each control tower has the potential to hijack the computer systems of the world governments and launch nuclear missiles, engaging the world's nations in a nuclear war that would only result in the human race's demise.

Fire Fly decides that he must disable the control points around the world before the 24 hours can expire or any nations can make a move so that he can save the human race from destruction. Dr. Wren warns him that Fire Fly can easily be infected with the virus and, if that were to happen, it'd be likely that there would be no hope left. However, Fire Fly tells him that he is slightly different than other anti-virus robots because of Dr. Plover's ambitions of advancing and changing the original blueprints for the anti-virus robots and therefor he will not be completely affected until the virus can adapt and overpower his design differences, which is unlikely to happen during his mission. Dr. Wren reluctantly agrees and sets up the room's teleport systems for him to use.

Setting
    It's the early 22nd century. AI has advanced to a sentient level, and humans and robots can co-exist. Anti-viral insect-like robots are created to counter AI corrupting viruses later on.

Outside of the starting city there are several areas around the world to be explored.

Images
    Note: the game isn't very far at all into development. There are many places that will be polished with decoration tiles and other things.
    [​IMG]
    City street screenshot
    [​IMG]
    Room with warps to different periods in time
    [​IMG]
    Fire having objects fall on him and explode from the ceiling.
    [​IMG]
    Dr. Wren spritesheet
    [​IMG]
    Fire Fly spritesheet

[​IMG]
    Stag Beetle spritesheet

If you have any questions, concerns, ideas, criticisms, etc, please comment below.
    [/spoiler]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. S.Court

S.Court Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sorry, I don't understand something, will you use default turn battle system or will this game be an Action RPG? I find the idea of extrapolating Megaman mechanics to a RPG sounds interesting (and at least in my opinion, it'd be more interesting even in a turn based RPG)

3. Auburnnie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I plan to make it turn based, although I'm not exactly sure if I'll keep the default display or look into getting a script for a side view display.

4. S.Court

S.Court Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Something I'd like to suggest is not only increasing the level of the enemies when you purify a boss. Adding levels to enemies to increasing difficulty it's just part of the puzzle, not the whole puzzle. Something I think helps a lot is adding skills to their attack patterns based in how many bosses you have purified as well, that helps to add more variety to the enemies and gives a feeling of progresion as well.

The idea looks interesting, good luck with your project! :)

5. Auburnnie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Yeah, I plan to look into making the patterns and intelligence of the AI alter as well. I just don't want to promise something I may not be able to deliver on as I haven't done any enemy/boss creation yet, only the opening intro and early bit. I'm sure I probably can do those things in the enemy maker tool, or do it with scripting if not, but I'm just not sure yet how AI or pattern customization works or how easily I can alter it according to variables.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, though. I really appreciate it.

6. Titanhex

Titanhex Do-It-All Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I like the minimalistic design and the simplistic approach. I definitely suggest keeping that theme throughout.

If you need to improve AI control, Yanfly provides a script that can do that. I suggest grabbing it if you want to make more robust enemies. It's possible that VictorSaint always does the same.

Hopefully you can keep your vision throughout. Sometimes creating a game with a story can be a daunting task, but a little organization can keep things flowing perfectly.

7. Auburnnie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thanks for the advice! I'll check that script out when I get to doing enemies and making battle elements.

Titanhex likes this.
  8. Izulde

Izulde Writer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would change the name, to be honest. Too many people will correlate the title with the Firefly TV series. Sounds like an interesting concept, however.

9. ImperiousRex

ImperiousRex Veteran Veteran

Firefly + the words sci-fi made me make that mistake.