Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Introduction

This extractable plug and play addon puts your game-world inside a CRT/LED-hybrid monitor for a unique aesthetic.

Features

• Animated 'buzziness' to simulate authentic CRT-style monitor errors.
  • Support for 'glitchy' behavior, including 'ghosting' and corrupted graphics memory.
  • Custom tailored default graphics and settings which have been labored over to give the best overall result without needing to mess with the script.
How to install and use

Extract the contents of this addon to your project's main directory.  Once you've done this boot up RPG Maker MV, access the Plugin Manager, and double click on an empty slot.  Within that new window select the "Name" dropdown box and click "Firgof CRT Monitor".  Make sure its state is set to ON and that you click 'OK' to accept the changes in the plug-in manager.

Note: The graphics assets are tailored to fit a 1920x1080 resolution game.  If your game runs at a different resolution you'll need to alter the graphics assets to match that resolution.

Compatibility

This add-on aliases certain Scene_Map functions but should otherwise work alongside other plugins.  Plugins which utilize MV's map-zoom functions may cause unexpected behaviors.

Last updated

11/6/2015 (2:11 AM CST)

Changelog

[11/6/2015] Version 1.0A - Initial public version.

Download

Grab the effect from the following link to get the latest version of this add-on: Download from Google Drive

Dependencies

None

FAQ

No items yet

Credits

ocean pollen

... and various other members of both the /rpgm/ thread on 4chan's VG board as well as the official RPG Maker MV Steam Chatroom.

Terms of use

Free for non-commercial and commercial use.  Please notify the author if this plugin is used in any commercial works.

Last edited by a moderator:

lonewolph

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Doesnt seem to be working right for me. its like a giant window is over the map screen with the CRT effect and i cant see anything and when I enter battle the effect isnt there either.

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Strange.  Could you take a screenshot of your map screen and post it here?

And yes it only functions on the map screen.  I haven't figured out how to apply it to scene base yet.

lonewolph

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Aha, that's what I thought.  So by default the script assumes you're running the game at 1920x1080 internal resolution - the graphics assets are tailored for that.  If your game runs at a different internal resolution you'll need to alter those graphics to fit your game.  Odd though that the game view isn't centered on anyone - it should be centered directly to the player character in that map.

Edit: What other plugins do you have running?

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is great! It's perfect for creating CCTV scenes.

Dallas Robinson

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
hmmm, i see what you mean. yeah the art does need to be tailored to the resolution of your project. however are you using some kind of zoom function as well? when i run the script everything is really zoomed in. like by x4. All my other scripts including Yanfly's core are set to 'off' so i know the problem is isolated to the script. I will say that when i enter battle the screen is not zoomed in and displays properly for a split second before the transition to battle so battle resets it somehow. 

i hope that helps

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah, sorry.  Yes, there is a 2.5x zoom by default in the script to simulate it being 'lower resolution'.  You can adjust that zoom factor by changing line number 153:

$gameScreen.startZoom($gamePlayer.screenX(), $gamePlayer.screenY(), 2.5, 1);The '2.5' in the parameters you can change to any number.  1.0 is the default zoom (no zoom).  2.5 is 2.5x closer.  0.5x would be 1.5x further away.

Dallas Robinson

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
huh! good to know! you should probably update your script and make that value exposed for the end user to update or change themselves under the parameters in the plug in menu. and also leave a note about that in the help. I can see this being a common problem. other then that i'm seeing no other conflicts with other scripts. good job!

Dallas Robinson

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
OH yeah and also leave a note about changing the size of the art needed for each project's native resolution.

Dallas Robinson

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
LOL, oh and one last thing. i love your window frame your using for your text in your example image. just curious if your going to release that for public use

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

lonewolph

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
the effect of the graphic seems to over up anything underneath it, I just see the window ontop covering everything up including my character and map

Dallas Robinson

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
yup, it does that. I'm not sure if that's a problem with the script or RPG maker and images in general because many scripts that use images run into conflict with one another as to what has priority when sorting. I don't think it's possable to have a 'master control' for sorting images.

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's meant to go over all the characters and art in the map, yes.  The Menu goes on top of it if you summon it because it's in Scene_Map and not Scene_Base.  Also if you get into combat it'll self-disable because that's Scene_Battle and not Scene_Map.

Dallas Robinson

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yeah, i totally thought so. in my project i run the JS script DMV_MapMenuButtons

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/46944-dmv-map-menu-buttons/

and the CRT effect covers the buttons. i got around it one way by editting the base art to have a notch for the buttons to be visable. it's primitive but effective :) and the other by just moving the buttons around in the options for the script.

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Mhm.  Because it's an overlay effect which can potentially obscure stuff, things will need to be modified on the user's end to accommodate the effect.  The base resources should be high enough to allow people to easily scale to fit their resolution and gives them a bit of wiggle room just by being HD on how they want it to look in the end.

Though it is plug and play - it is unfortunately not plug and perfect.

Dallas Robinson

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
oh trust me. i love your script! it's bloody wonderful! if i have to tinker a bit for it to work for my needs that's a small price to pay. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The Ace attorney series are so great games... But at the same time such a travesty.
Made a video showcasing a plugin (by Lanza) that adds 5 more weather effects to our MV games. :LZYsmile: Namely:
Ash-dust,
bloodrain,
Cherry Blossom Petals,
Hail,
and bubbles.

I just like this website:
lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takufy