First Person Engine (without external DLL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Greetings.  It's not often that you may see me actively making a request, but I am on the look for a first person system.  However, I am looking for one that does not rely on external DLL files.  So the FPLE (First Person Labyrinth Engine) by MGC and the Irrlicht systems are not suitable.

One such system (one I do have a copy) is the First Person system by BigKevSexyMan from 2006.  But that one is a simple system that just draws pictures in place of the upright walls.

I heard of an older (2008/2009) First Person system by Behemoth, a FPS script.  And the creator was working on a game called The Corps, using it as the basis for his system.  From what I heard, it was nothing but actual RUBY code, so there were no dlls.  At least, that's what I heard.

Unfortunately, the only traces of the system seem to be youtube videos of Behemoth's game itself.  I've been searching for a while. It would be great to see that system (or one like it that is 100% code... no dll fillers) recovered.

Last edited by a moderator:

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I know... that video is awesome.  But that's what Behemoth was able to achieve with his scripting.  I'm hoping to just learn what the heck he did!

I'm a patient type.  Some bump after the 3 day requirement... but this is a search what may be a long lost treasure trove system.  I still have hopes that someone will have a copy of behemoth's First Person script.  He did make some entertaining pieces, be it an ABS system with a scripted configuration system (oh... nice idea), and made a brilliant platform system that mimicked Metroid (pity he didn't have lazers in it).  All of these, without any DLLs.

Bump.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem is that in older Makers, the graphic library was not part of the Ruby engine but hidden in the existing DLLs, with the direct commands removed from the RGSSx. When that has been done, it's difficult to write a new graphic system without using a DLL to add the missing functions.

I can't tell if it can be done for RMXP as I don't have any experience using it, but writing a graphic system in a top-level language like Ruby/RGSSx is problematic even with full access due to the required processing - if part of the functions of the language had been hidden in a DLL, it becomes almost impossible to do so without replacing the DLL.

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
On the contrary.  As I had said, Behemoth was working on his project for RPGMaker XP.  Not only is that an older Maker, but the oldest of the Maker line that used Ruby 1.6.  And Behemoth crafted his works without the creation of additional DLLs such as the readily available screenshot.dll used for a graphics capture systems or MGC's Mode7.dll. As to those DLLs I just mentioned, I have RGSS scripts that replicate these two features without external DLLs, and I am aware that Behemoth had crafted a raycasting script which he put to use within his First Person system.  The fewer DLL dependencies, the better.

And insofar as whether it could be performed for RMXP, the video shows that it had actually been done with RMXP.

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
This request topic can be closed.

Thank you for your time and interest, but I have found an early-version of Behemoth's First Person system.  It has a few of his tradmarks I recognize.  And like the video above, it does have full rotation and pixel-based movement.  Amazing as the script was not even 300 lines long!

But it is an early version, having no evented sprite support.   Hahaha... Well, I seriously intend to tear this apart and see about setting it into a proper tilemap/viewport system and add the event sprites as they should be rendered.  Mebby I can even figure out how to render walls and ceilings of different height.   The script doesn't look as complex as a few others I have seen.

*DerVVulfman does the werewolf shuffle*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Seems like people have stopped looking both ways before crossing the road nowadays. Blindly walking out into a into a road only ends in disaster.
Just finished planning out the skeleton of the main quest line of my new game. I'm so excited for it!
Integrating Jason Perry's japan tile set while listening to Murray Atkinson's Heaven and Earth background music.
I forgot I had an account on rpgmakercentral lol
"What do you think the best place to visit on this cold days?" "Hell..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keyboardjockey