the silks angel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, "RPG" is such a wide term..
If the Legend of Zelda would be considered as Action RPG, then this is my first (on NES).

But else... gotta go quite a few years ahead..
Ragnarok Online
.. an MMORPG.
Ragnarok online was so crunk ! But I couldnt get into tha second one . ..

PixelGeek93

Student of Art
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the first rpg I ever played, even before I played Pokemon, was Grandia II, (also Skies of Arcadia, but I spent more time playing Grandia around the same time). From then on that was my genre, though I've branched out a bit in recent years.

bkavoo

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
Chrono Trigger! one of the best RPG game ever made
Blizzard's Diablo Game too.

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The first I ever played was "Amberstar" (Click me!).
It was also the first game my father bought me when I was a child, so it kinda has some sentimental value, too.
It was released in 1992 and I think I got it in 95 when I was ten years old.

I even still have the CD and play it from time to time. Unfortunately I don't have the world map (yeah, it came with a color-printed map in the box) or the rune sheet (there were several places where you had to use that sheet to translate runes so you knew what was going on) anymore.

It had a decent amount of character customization. Equipment, buying skills from shops and most characters came without a pre-defined class, you had to make them join a guild of your choosing.
The world was completely open so you could start anywhere you liked (although in certain story-relevant areas, the enemies were too strong for you early on).

Ah, the memories....

roiaa

Freelance artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
Castlevania playstation 1

robhr

come on die young
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First one I ever played was Super Mario RPG, I think. It was either that or Final Fantasy III.

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can't remember if it was Chrono Trigger or Legend of Zelda, just remember both of them pretty early.

MercuryLegba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Final Fantasy 2 on the game boy. Pretended to be sick, stayed at home, finished it in 2 days.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pokémon Diamond. I can't wait for Sinnoh remakes.

jmike

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Diablo 1. Never got far cause it scared the **** out of my four year old self. My six year old self managed to get to the forest in FFIX though without understanding what he was doing haha

SimProse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wizardry 1 on my Apple II, then on my C64. Mapping on graph paper....joy! Gosh, I guess that makes me an old fogie nowadays.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't think I can remember my first RPG game. My best memories was of Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior on NES.

Stanley

Nobody, Joystrike Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay, Lotudian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think...it was Pokemon Blue...

Hungria

Learning
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mine was Legend of Dragoon.
My brother played a lot that game, and so did I!

The soundtrack is so marvelous :kaojoy:

TCRegan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wizardry 1 on my Apple II, then on my C64. Mapping on graph paper....joy! Gosh, I guess that makes me an old fogie nowadays.
@SimProse Oh my god, I remember that game. I used to play it on my C64. Now that was a solid "system". Also Zork.

I guess those are my first RPGs, but I guess also Final Fantasy for the NES hooked me into the series, but FF2 (US, SNES version - FF4 to be technical) was my jam growing up. That and Secret of Mana.

Winter_Beetle

Insect
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think the first RPG I ever played was Pokemon Sapphire, as it was just coming out on the GBA Advance.

I honestly can't remember how I even got into pokemon...

Vexatious

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played some DOS ports of the first three, before jumping to Wizardy 7 when I was a little older. Those were the days.

The first JRPG I played thought was Breath Of Fire 3, and it's imprinted in me ever since with it's story.

Arisa

probably dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ummmm, Uhhh, UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........... I cannot remember......

I can't promise this is the FIRST one, but I remember playing Etrian Odyssey when I was younger. That series pretty much never changed much. xD

Alarkus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure RPG Maker 2 on PS2 was my first REAL experience with RPGs. Either that or Pokemon Sapphire. I knew they existed before, just never played them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ESAMarathon on Twitch, now streaming "Eat Girl". Yep, that's the title of a game... Apparently it's a Pacman knockoff.... Which is of course the only logical conclusion one would get from a name like "Eat Girl". :kaopride: I can't believe anybody would think anything else! :kaoback:
Super stoked i just finished my first town in my project, by finished i mean i can always add more decorative aesthetics and the NPCs don't talk yet but the mapping is complete and all the important chess pieces are present!
My brain: Hey, I have an idea how to make the transition to the main story quest in The Wastes more natural!
Me: Good!
My brain: You need to remake the hotel you start out in, it's not realistic enough.
Me: Ok... This was unexpected, but I can do it.
My brain: Now make each hotel floor 5 times as large to match the main part. Oh, you also need to make a bunch of new npcs to fill in the space on these maps.
Me: Crap.
Should be able to release Haxe MV/MZ next weekend.
It look that somehow MZ tracks are messed up (for example battle4 is obviously a theme, castle2 is a ship, ship1 is a scene and so on..). Maybe they just named them after with some ambiguity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightnvs