Horn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me it was Baldur's Gate. I still have the map that came with it on my wall, nicely framed :)

Zreine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
If we are talking about all type of RPGs the very first one was Zelda II ( My mom was a sadist for buying me this one, lol). If we are talking about first turn by turn RPG it's Final Fantasy on NES and I had no idea where to go and what to do, I was way to young, so I was just fighting stuff, lol.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first RPG was Pokémon Blue. Good game and all, but my absolute love of RPGs was spearheaded by my second, which was Dragon Warrior 3 on the GBC.

Kirri

Imagining Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Breath of Fire 3 / Golden Sun / Mana Khemia

Don't remember which one I played first, but wow, those games were fun.:kaojoy:

Last edited:

EAD

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The first? Wow. I am not sure, but I think it was Ultima II for the C64 (1983) or probably one of the Atari 2600 games that I used to play with a friend of mine. We always did that when we came to his place after school.

Last edited:

dnel57

dnel57
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Dragon Warrior in 1986 and never played any other genre since.( I was 36 then)

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Phantasy Star 4, then Final Fantasy 4 (...or here in the US FF2, the crappy dummed down easy one with "swoon" instead of "down/KO" cuz we Amaricans stoopud)!

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
do you mean jrpg specifically?

I think my first rpg (and first jrpg) MAY have been Final Fantasy Mystic Quest which I remember playing when I was like really, really, really little (and indeed I would have been really really really little when it came out) but I don't remember getting the rpgness of it, necessarily, as much as I did with Shadowrun, also for the SNES. The first time I really grokked or "got" the JRPGness (specifically) of something it wasn't much later and it was with FFVII. But I don't think I ever thought of FFVII and MQ as even related until I had, been, well, making my own videogames for several years. Weird.

To whoever said Symphony of the Night, I was TERRIFIED of Vigo the Carpathian from Ghostbusters II which was one of my two favorite movies approximately age 5-11. I may have played that before some of my "firsts" above, but I didn't consider it an RPG (nor do I now, for that matter, it's a metroidvania platformer with rpg elements). I think I played Wanderers from Y's III (literally the only Ys game I have ever played and the source of 100% of what I know about the Ys franchise) ALSO ALSO for the SNES before ANY of the games I've mentioned here, but I didn't consider that an RPG either. I thought of it as a "side-scrolly sword jump shooty game kind of like Zelda".

edit: wow i just almost psoted something so ****ing stupid don't forumsw hile high

Last edited:

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to say Master of the Wind, however I first played a game my neighbor made on RPG Maker for the Playstation 1 - does that count?

Edit: Whoops, I thought it was RM games. First rpg for me was Pokemon Gold and Silver, Runescape, and lastly Mario RPG on SNES.

TrentL111

Archmage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Might and Magic III - Isles of Terra. It made me fall in love with RPGs and fantasy. I replay it every few years.

MetalHunter13

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Breath of Fire 2. It was in the very last days of the SNES, I was 7, I didn't like it. Traded it in and regretted it years later. Two years later I played the first RPG I enjoyed, Final Fantasy 7.

Kalyith

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think my first RPG was Knights of the Old Republic. That was a long time ago!!! :kaomad2:

kaffe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pokemon Yellow, I have so many good memories with that game.

However, the first RPG I played that really transported me to a magical place was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. I was really young, and that game just filled me with a joy that was just so amazing.

Yeseylon

Regional Manager of OH LOOK A BUTTERFLY
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Y'know, I think my first was technically Pokemon, although I wasn't allowed and was just playing on borrowed systems/times.

First ones I ever got to really dive into were FF VII/VIII (borrowed games again, but was my dad's roommate's and my dad didn't ban me from playing like my mom did). Later got to play IX, then got Pokemon Gold and a special GBC for my birthday.

Yeseylon

Regional Manager of OH LOOK A BUTTERFLY
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm pretty sure it was Pokemon Ruby for me... now I feel young compared to everyone else. ;_;
Wut

I am officially old, Ruby is when I STOPPED playing Pokemon. I literally had a job, bought it, a GBA, and some other games myself...

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Final Fantasy 7

im 30 now so me and all my friend took the day off from our jobs to get together at my place for the remake on may 10th, of course we were crushed when the delay announcement came smh, we all had to do new paper work for april :rswt

Mordridakon

I am a dragon!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Final Fantasy 4 is the first RPG i actually remember.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just got FES pack for my MZ. The details of the tilesets and chars seem not very compatible with MZ rtp. Look like they are scaled up. Not saying it's bad, but just won't fit well.
I've been busy with other things lately but I'm getting back into working on stuff for my game next month. I think I'm going to fiddle with making NPC busts next, mixing and matching stuff from DLC I've purchased.
Just finished composing a boss battle theme!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roeselerfinnole