Breath of Fire III

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, for the SNES, was the first I actually played. I remember watching an older cousin playing the original FF on his NES, but not getting a chance to play.

Lyson

Potholders!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Idk if I'd count the original Legend of Zelda as an rpg, so I'll go with Breath of Fire 3.

BoF games always have a place in my heart.

bokunoyuki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first RPG was Pokemon Yellow, though I didn't what an "RPG" was until I played Final Fantasy 7 and my brother said, "hey this is an RPG, you like, take turns to attack and stuff."

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First RPG I ever played was Dungeons and Dragons, Red Box edition back in 79. 

Oh, did you mean computer game? You didn't specify ;p

That would be ...  Hmmm... probably Dungeon for the Atari 2600.  There were a couple on the Atari 800 (I even wrote a small one), Zork and few other text parsers,  then there was Wizardry for the Apple II. That would be the first "stat based" cRPG I played. Incredible - I've got a DosBox copy loaded up on my old Laptop along with some other 'old-skool' RPG's I still kick back with. After those, you can pretty much go down the list - Might and Magic, Ultima, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Wild Arms, Breath of Fire, Dragon Warrior (these are just the ones I remember - I played a lot of ones that flat out sucked, too).

Most recent one would be Skyrim - finally picked that up. The best I've played in the last few years would be The World Ends With You for the Nintendo DS (that handheld kept me happy without buying a PS3 or PS4 - so many great RPG's released for that little guy).

Banquo

scoundrel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pokemon Red , but I hardly consider it an Rpg. The first "real" Rpg was a demo for the PC game "Dungeon Siege". I still remember how I tried to hack the game in order to get past the limit of the demo (I didn't know that I never had the whole game).

jwideman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First RPG I ever played was Dungeons and Dragons, Red Box edition back in 79. 

Oh, did you mean computer game? You didn't specify ;p

That would be ...  Hmmm... probably Dungeon for the Atari 2600.  There were a couple on the Atari 800 (I even wrote a small one), Zork and few other text parsers,  then there was Wizardry for the Apple II. That would be the first "stat based" cRPG I played. Incredible - I've got a DosBox copy loaded up on my old Laptop along with some other 'old-skool' RPG's I still kick back with. After those, you can pretty much go down the list - Might and Magic, Ultima, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Wild Arms, Breath of Fire, Dragon Warrior (these are just the ones I remember - I played a lot of ones that flat out sucked, too).

Most recent one would be Skyrim - finally picked that up. The best I've played in the last few years would be The World Ends With You for the Nintendo DS (that handheld kept me happy without buying a PS3 or PS4 - so many great RPG's released for that little guy).
I considered Dungeon an adventure game rather than an RPG, or I'd have said that was my first too. Likewise with Zork and other Infocom titles, though there was one that had some RPG elements.

GeorgeTheUnseen

Dunk my Soul
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Super Mario RPG: Legend of The Seven Stars. I was around 4 or 5 years old when I first played this.

My older cousins came by to play games with me and Super Mario RPG was one they brought over.

I don't know what it was that grabbed me about this game (probably at that point I was so used to the basic Super Mario platformer games and seeing something new really grabbed me.)

but I wanted to play this game so badly that I begged my cousins to let me have the game (They didn't). It wasn't til I was at least 12 years where I picked up the game again at a yard sale (with my birthday money :p ) and beat it.

Its not the best RPG ever but man I still love playing this game and am probably gonna keep revisiting this game for the rest of my life ' ^'

noctiluca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Probably Pokemon Blue (I think), but before Pokemon came out I remember being really jealous of my friend who had a SNES with FF6, Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger. It made me wish I had a brother because my parents didn't want me playing video games. Edutainment computer games were all I was allowed for a long time.

As far as non-Pokemon RPGs go, a Japanese friend of mine had a ton of RPGs (and a brother lol) and I would watch her play FF7, and I had no idea what was going on because I didn't understand Japanese back then. She let me try FF Tactics and I was like... probably doing everything wrong haha. I was eventually able to convince my parents to get me a Playstation when I was 10 by not shutting up about it for months, and I started with FF7, FF9, Xenogears and Chrono Cross. I kept switching between them all at first because I couldn't figure out which one would be best to start with. Good times, my top 3 are still in that bunch.

SpaceBot

Demon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Secret of Mana

Last edited by a moderator:

Xedrik

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
One of my first RPGs:

- Wild Arms for PSX (the boy with the Shotgun)
- Alundra I & Alundra II for PSX
- Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II for GameCube

- Breath of Fire III for PSX
- Legend of Kartia for PSX
- Final Fantasy V, VII & VIII for PSX
- Diablo II: LOD for PC
- Pokemon Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal (no Red? No!)

But my very first was Zelda - Ocarina of Time for N64 with all RPG Elements but leveling :p

DoctorMolotov

Adrenochrome...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
NES - Legend of Zelda/Star Tropics/Final Fantasy

SNES - Chrono Trigger/Soul Blazer/Secret of Mana/Illusions of Gaia/Zelda: A Link to the Past

And then everything else that came out as time passed.

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The first "modern" RPG was Final Fantasy for the NES. I was very excited about it, even when my english was very basic at the time, but it gave a reason to improve.

Personigo de la Ĉefo

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
My first experience with this genre was actually Final Fantasy X. It stays my favorite rpg even today. It was weird, really. My friend have played final fantasy games on her PS1, but i never got to see them, only hear about how good they were. So when dad bought me my first console, PS2, this was the first game i've bought on it (well, after Mortal Kombat Deadly Allience which scared me s*itless as a kid).

To me FFX Is a staple of the genre. I've played earlier ff's shortly after (mainly on my GBA), but X is still my fav.

And yes. I'm not that old. I never had a NES or SNES (technically there was no NES in russia, only pirated versions of it called Dendy. And all the games were pirated cuz real ones were too expensive for soviet people)

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
My first experience as far as I can remember would have to be Chrono Trigger. It was a hand me down from my dad since he had the new PS1 at the time. I am very thankful my dad had a great taste in games to this day. My first impression of the game was that of some confusion I was young at the time very young all I knew was it was something fun and very challenging at the time for me. I never got far then, but later in life I revisited Chrono Trigger since I knew more about the genre I was able to appreciate the game better and understand it.

Chrono trigger remains one of my childhood favorites to this day, I've played at least 3 more times... there's going to be a fourth soon I just got a PS1 adaption of the game!

Zabu

Prince of light
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
N/A
Baldur's Gate on PS1 !

After this, it was Sacred (on PC this time!)

They're really good games!

Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
Dang, I forgot about Illusions of Gaia, I LOVED that game!
I didn't even know that game had another title in other countries :x

I played it as "Illusion of Time" and it was awesome and also my first RPG. I needed over one year to beat the first boss because I did not understand the concept of leveling at that time. The fact that leveling worked completely different in that game than anywhere else didn't help much either.

Cjdgame

The Azure Falcon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not going to count Pokemon as my first RPG, so mine would have to be Chrono Trigger.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

No edits, just gameplay from one area to the next. Plus all my new shiny interface stuff... And I even remember to bolt down the portal so it won't escape this time. :kaopride:
You guys just freely offer up your Autonomy?
I don't know about you, but today the covid frustration is seriously getting to me. Haven't really seen many of my friends for two years, since i moved towns the year before this all started, and well, i miss them :(
so, here's a cute alpacaraptor sketch to heighten the mood:
W7Fhp9n.png
Whenever I start on a new chapter, it doesn't feel like the next episodes, but more like sequels :)
It can be frustrating that so many commercial games have used up titles that might otherwise be great for a project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alessandroiejdhfj