Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First of all, forgive me if it's wrong place to post. Feel free to transfer this to somewhere else that I could probably not find it (more likely overlook it).

Second of all, I have looked around and really want some of those ones as useful resources that I may like to include... but as I did researched about the steam vs non-steam licenses, I am not so sure if my non-steam MV could able to take those resources available in this store page ( http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/graphics )... I have looked the preview URL address appeared when hovering over the version(s) of RPGM, said "steam".
Please don't tell me that I didn't waste money for wrong type of MV. =(
I bought it from Amazon.com, mind you.
Will it actually accept those graphic resources?

IF the answer is yes, please continue read. Otherwise don't.
Will it accept the prepaid card? The gift-type one, like "Google Play" one?

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you own RPG Maker MV, then any of the products you´ll buy at our store, or Amazon, will be usable on your copy of RPG Maker MV. Mind you, some resources were made for RPG Maker VX Ace, so they won't work on MV straight away (they do if you use a plugin to change the tileset resolution though).

I think you're unable to buy any DLC from Steam if you don't own MV on Steam as well, so that's a moot point.

Are you talking about what kind of payments the official RPG Maker Web store accepts? Or some other website ... ?

SamJones

Autorun
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you're unable to buy any DLC from Steam if you don't own MV on Steam as well, so that's a moot point.
Wouldn't that just be a matter of activating the program on Steam too?

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I thought. (about moving this topic)

So, basically, it's really alright to buy those graphics in THIS website (the link I added on my start post) should be usable in non-steam MV, bought and DLed from Amazon. As long as it's not Steam, ANY MV-only graphic-pack in that link will work on Amazon-bought MV... Sounds right?

And yes I am already aware about that VX-Ace thing. But thank you for friendly warning. =)

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everything will work - you're just downloading graphics, is all. I only mentioned that Steam wouldn't work out because Steam simply doesn't let you purchase DLC of a program you do not own. And no, @SamJones you cannot activate MV on Steam, as we do not hand out anymore Steam keys for those that bought it outside of Steam.

But yes, purchase any of our resource packs, they should work just fine regardless of where you bought MV.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much! I feel more relieved to hear that. Can't wait to get those out to "upgrade" my project imaginations little more better. =)

SamJones

Autorun
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And no, @SamJones you cannot activate MV on Steam, as we do not hand out anymore Steam keys for those that bought it outside of Steam.
Oh! When did this change? And why is it still advertised on this site then?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SamJones Keys purchased on this site can still be activated on steam - @Celianna confused this with another case (there was a time when Ace-Steam-Keys were offered to people who purchased Ace on this site, that program has been stopped).

But as long as the Mac- and Linux-versions of MV are only available through steam, the purchase on this site has to allow steam activation to give people with a Mac/Linux-Computer access. This might change when standalone versions for Mac and Linux become available however.

In the case of the OP however, this might be different - currently Amazon only sells the steam-code, the other version of MV has been discontinued on Amazon - and because no moderator here has access to the Degica Database (only admins are Degica-Employees, all moderators are volunteers) we can't tell if that version was only standalone or both when it was still sold.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In the case of the OP however, this might be different - currently Amazon only sells the steam-code, the other version of MV has been discontinued on Amazon - and because no moderator here has access to the Degica Database (only admins are Degica-Employees, all moderators are volunteers) we can't tell if that version was only standalone or both when it was still sold.

Wait, are you saying that my MV from Amazon is actually steam-version? =O I am now confused...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wait, are you saying that my MV from Amazon is actually steam-version? =O I am now confused...
Not automatically - it might be or it might be not. The only way to check that is if you try to activate it on steam with the key you got from Amazon

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And what if it didn't work? Do I get refund? =X

SamJones

Autorun
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And what if it didn't work? Do I get refund? =X
The MV variants across all platforms are functionally identical. Why wouldn't it work?

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The MV variants across all platforms are functionally identical. Why wouldn't it work?
V Because of this V
Not automatically - it might be or it might be not. The only way to check that is if you try to activate it on steam with the key you got from Amazon

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends on what exactly was offered when you purchased - a purchase on steam for example doesn't get you the standalone, that you get both is a special offer on this website.
I have absolutely no idea what was offered on Amazon when that offer existed (it is no longer available), so I can't tell if it should work or not.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, the best bet is to find the lowest-price DLC i like to use and see if it works... If not, I drop all ones I want to get... If it does work, I buy them as second-and-more items to purchase? Sounds good plan to try?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You don't need to buy DLC to find out if you have access to the steam version. Start Steam up, if it's not in the software section of your library, click the link in the bottom left corner to add software. There's an option to input a key. Use your key that activated the standalone version there. If it's not in the library and the key doesn't work then you don't have a Steam version.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, Sharm... but again, I didn't bought MV through Steam. It seems that you didn't read this whole thread yet.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I did read it. You can get Steam keys without buying directly from Steam. If you were to buy MV from this site instead of from Amazon or Steam your key could be used for both the standalone and Steam versions of MV. I don't know which one you got from Amazon, and I don't know if the key you got from Amazon works for just one version or both like the keys you get from here. My directions were to help you find out if you had access to the Steam version.

If you don't have the Steam version you won't be able to buy the DLC from Steam because of the way Steam works, but you can buy from here with no problem. Steam is the only version that locks out access to the files. With Steam you have to download through the Steam version of MV to get the files. You don't have to try buying DLC from Steam to see if you can do this, if you have the Steam version of MV you can, if you don't you can't. Buy the art anywhere else or even download the free stuff that can be found and the version of MV you own won't matter, once you actually have the files they function identically.

@Andar I'm seeing two listings for MV on Amazon, one for the standalone and one for Steam. They're both functional.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh okay, sorry. My mind is not in great shape to understand. =X

Even though I am not Andar, I think "standalone" is the one I bought on Amazon (pretty surprised that it got removed when I checked just recent) since I figured (or at least "thought") the Steam one require me to create a Steam account in order to purchase. If you say so about standalone be functional, then I should able to get DLCs on this site's store worked with no problem.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I THINK I have a slightly better grasp on drawing my maps now... sorta. I still need to figure out how to draw a city of sorts. I've only got the abstract going so far.
One day, I'll not have this lingering cough and we'll have another make a game stream.
A music I create while practicing E Major scale. :D
Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leilahbrekke