fishing level gains based on fish caught

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by kalfax, Sep 4, 2017.

1. kalfax

kalfax The aspiring one. Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm trying to make my character lvl up his fishing based on what you catch, i want it to have a percentage or a 1 in 10 (or something) chance or something to level up the fishing after catching a fish. the problem im having is that i can't figure out how to set it up. ive made the variable "fishing level" and ive made the fishing pool, how should i proceed? This is one of the fish you catch:[​IMG]

2. immatx

immatx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I need some more information to work with. Is a common event included in the fishing level anywhere or is it specifically in events? Also I'm assuming you have fishing level setup as a variable. By the looks of it the % changes based on fish size, why not run a random number and increase the level variable based on that (if that makes sense).

3. kalfax

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yes, that sounds good, how would i do that? xD i used to know how to do this i swear, but i forgot. im currently not using a common event.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  4. kalfax

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    so an update. i managed to make it so that the event levells up my fishing skill by +1 in a common event, and i can use that with \V[45] currently.
    however i then need to add this into the fishing spot.
    unfortunately because im currently using a variable "fish size" im not sure if i should remove that completely or keep it and do something else.

5. kalfax

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    this is what ive got so far. any way to improve it? EDIT: I removed the A switch. [​IMG]

6. immatx

immatx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looks good, can you post the common event? That's not exactly what I meant when I said use a random number, but hey if that's what you wanted then that's even better.

What are the self switches doing? Also that event will always run blank because your fish sizes have different requirements, just in case you didn't notice.

And you should try to avoid double posting if you can, mods don't like that. If someone else hasn't replied just edit your last post, but say like 'Edit:' or something so people know that it's been updated.

kalfax likes this.
  7. kalfax

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    so basically the b switch removes the fishing spot after you've fished once.
    the first event is like this: after this comes different fish size variables with different fish that can be caught like the next picture. [​IMG][​IMG]
    i also added the fishing level into this, so if the fishing level is 2, it has a chance to catch this for example:
    [​IMG]

8. kalfax

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

what common event?

9. immatx

immatx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This common event. And again you have the greater/lesser than setup backwards I think. Also you want to give priority to the ones with higher requirements, because the event will always run the first page it is able to. The way it is now, because a 100 size fish is also greater than 20, it will run the 20 one because it's first in line if that makes sense.

10. kalfax

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    oh i see. so i have to make it switch to a different event based on fish size instead then?
    EDIT: from the first one.
    EDIT 2: should i add it all into one event instead of making it multiple pages then?
    edit 3: i should use variables instead of conditional branches there right?. i think thats what i did wrong.
    edit 4: what i want to do is make it so that if its within 0-20 for example this will happen, and if its a different number something else will happen.. but i can't figure out how to make a conditional branch with such a value, only a set number.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  11. kalfax

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    so an update. ive made some changes, what do you think about this? I didn't post all of it but its just different fish types.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. immatx

immatx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes! That should work much better. Have you gotten a chance to test it to see if it works at all? Although for balancing purposes you might want to make salmon catchable at level 2 as well.

13. kalfax

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I'm still not done with the selection and I will also change the experience for certain fishes and such. so you get more depending on what you catch, but its working pretty well I think.. I made some more changes as well, made it a bit more automatic, so you won't have to click on everything and added a ... waiting time thing, before catching fish. Thanks a lot for helping me solving this ^^ This new knowledge will help me develop more skills in the future, like smithing and crafting and help improve my alchemy and cooking. I might also add foraging and woodcutting or something.