creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello, I'm having a really bad day!

Today, when i'm open my project, i get the unexpected file format error. I meet the error for a while, its not a problem, so i use my backup project instead! And suprisingly all are broken! So i create a new project and copy all the file form the orginal one and every single data is completely broken! :(  I try to copy new data, but after that, my project is just a blank! 

Yesterday i turn off the project properly, so do with the computer.

What did i do wrong? Is there a way to fix it? i don't want my project i work for 3 month gone forever.

Please, help me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If that many versions of the files are damaged, then something on your computer is causing those files to be damaged.

You need to find out what damaged those files and end that problem before you have any chance of continuing work.

And no, damaged files can only be replaced by backups - if the backups are damaged and you have no more backups on other devices, then you've bad luck.

Possible causes for file damage:

1) cutting power to the computer instead of following the shutdown procedures. This includes using a main switch for computer and monitor even after the computer has shutdown.

2) crashes or restarts from windows due to damaged windows or problems with shutdown

3) virus or malware distributing itself through your computer

4) hard drive near the end of its lifecycle (usually several years to a decade, but can be speed up to one or two years if working in extremely warm environment or if the HDD was dropped/damaged before installation. Check the SMART status with a program like checkdrive, if smart status <70%/80% you need to replace the hard drive asap.

Puffer

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If that many versions of the files are damaged, then something on your computer is causing those files to be damaged.

You need to find out what damaged those files and end that problem before you have any chance of continuing work.

And no, damaged files can only be replaced by backups - if the backups are damaged and you have no more backups on other devices, then you've bad luck.

Possible causes for file damage:

1) cutting power to the computer instead of following the shutdown procedures. This includes using a main switch for computer and monitor even after the computer has shutdown.

2) crashes or restarts from windows due to damaged windows or problems with shutdown

3) virus or malware distributing itself through your computer

4) hard drive near the end of its lifecycle (usually several years to a decade, but can be speed up to one or two years if working in extremely warm environment or if the HDD was dropped/damaged before installation. Check the SMART status with a program like checkdrive, if smart status <70%/80% you need to replace the hard drive asap.

Thanks for your help, at least it helpful but non of these caught the problem :(  my project is gone forever now...

SimProse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry about your bad luck!

My procedure is usually backing up (on two different devices) all development files every 3 days or so, more often with a major hurdle overcome of some sort. That way if something happens, I have a recent backup. Backups are absolutely essential to anyone who puts in time developing any type of software, whether it be games or apps or anything else.

Puffer

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sorry about your bad luck!

My procedure is usually backing up (on two different devices) all development files every 3 days or so, more often with a major hurdle overcome of some sort. That way if something happens, I have a recent backup. Backups are absolutely essential to anyone who puts in time developing any type of software, whether it be games or apps or anything else.

i back up everyweek, but this time, the backup and the orginal all broken :(  next time, i will dropbox to back up on cloud instead on my computer :(  Thanks for cheer me up

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
have you found the reason why your files got damaged?

With that many files and their backups damaged, I can almost guarantee that your future projects will face the same fate unless you find the cause and fix it.

Puffer

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
have you found the reason why your files got damaged?

With that many files and their backups damaged, I can almost guarantee that your future projects will face the same fate unless you find the cause and fix it.

I still can't found what caught the problem, no virus, no file damaged. Still don't know what happen. Maybe, its a VX Ace rare bug?

i don't know, now i have to recreate the whole project

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe, its a VX Ace rare bug?

No

The RM way of handling files gives them a higher risk of being damaged by an external cause, but it has to have been an external cause. Nothing in a fully functional Ace will ever damage its files directly.

Have you used checkdrive (or a similiar program) to read out the SMART-status of your hard drive? How many % is it?

Puffer

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No

The RM way of handling files gives them a higher risk of being damaged by an external cause, but it has to have been an external cause. Nothing in a fully functional Ace will ever damage its files directly.

Have you used checkdrive (or a similiar program) to read out the SMART-status of your hard drive? How many % is it?

I just check it through cmd, and it said OK.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just check it through cmd, and it said OK.

There is no way to check the smart status by a windows/command function that I know of - the regular microsoft check cannot read that internal number of the hard drive sectors.

It might be that they added such a command in newer Windows versions, but the answer would still be a percentage and never an OK.

And even on a brand-new drive the SMART would rarely report 100%, there is absolutely no way you get a 100% SMART on your drive after it has been in use for months or years.

I'm not talking about how many sectors of your harddrive can be read by windows - the SMART-status is a very special internal value of your harddrive's firmware, giving the internal status and an expected reserve for future failures.

Puffer

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I re-check through Checkdrive, and I can't found the rate of my drive SMART. it only said my drive is all alright

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making test maps is really illuminating when it comes to figuring out how the real maps should be. It's like the outline that one writes for the story before writing the actual story.
I am adamant about not having missable quests, which means having to write entirely new scenes at each plot progression that takes into account that time and events have passed since the quest could first be accepted while still having there be a quest to solve in the first place. It's worth every second.
Surprisingly useful and thought provoking
Working on animation. Trying to see if I can apply it meaningfully to my games!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AstarothPenguin