Fixing a bugged forced encounter!

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by OnlySlightlySane, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnlySlightlySane

OnlySlightlySane Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm trying to program an encounter where my protagonist is joined by her first teamate, and it's not going exactly as I planned. See, the event is supposed to go: Protagonist talks to themselves as they walk (check), they hear a monster noise and freak out (check) ally suddenly appears and they have a short dialogue (check) battle ensues with ally in party (check) battle ends and the party continues on their merry way. That last step is where the wheels fall off. For some reason the diaglogue and batle sequence repeat indefinately, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've included a screen shot of my event script. I have it set on the sprite that is supposed to join my party. I wish I could explain more, but I'm more of a visual person and I don't know if I can upload multiple screen caps.

Did I mention I've only had the program for four days and have been looking for tutorials but none are really helping me as much as I need? battle bug.png

2. hiromu656

hiromu656 Praise the Sun (Arcana) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Does the second page have a Condition for Self Switch A? If not, the scene will repeat due to the Autorun. If that's not the case, remove the "Exit Event Processing" - Both of them are unneccesary.

Actually, the Conditional Branch itself is also unneccesary, since the event will only appear when "Forest Encounter" is active, then there's no reason to double check if its on.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013
  3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The event is repeating because you exit event processing before the self-switch can turn it off, and autoruns automatically loop - being called again as soon as the exit event processing command is complete.

About the tutorials: You cannot learn the engine within a few days, I usually suggest making a tutorial project and follow the tutorials for about one month before starting with your own game...

Links to the most important tips and tutorials can be found in my signature

4. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You put an exit event processing command before you activate the self switch, that is probably the main issue.

5. OnlySlightlySane

OnlySlightlySane Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Ah, thank you so much guys! I feel silly for making such a silly mistake, especially since I'm actually in school for coding and similar things. I've got it working now! The whole event still runs a little rough, but at least it doesn't loop any more!

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.