Fixing lighting when the screen is tinted

noot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Heya. I've run into a small problem recently, and I was wondering if anyone knew a possible fix to this.

For some parts of my game, I'm using the method of using an event graphic to create a lighting effect. However, there are some lights that I only want to turn on at night, but when the screen is tinted dark to make it appear night, the light graphics are also tinted darker, and it ruins the illusion of light. Is there any way to tint the screen and have specific event graphics be independent of the tint?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You'll most likely need a lighting script for that.

I've moved this thread to RGSS3 Script Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Or somehow change the viewport of the image? Like, make the Z higher than the tint?

noot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Or somehow change the viewport of the image? Like, make the Z higher than the tint?
I think I know what you mean, but is that possible to do without a script? Or is it an event command I'm missing?

Reactions: BCj

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
but is that possible to do without a script?
Impossible.

There will be one consequence though, mainly because of how the RGSS3 engine works. When you start excluding specific sprites so that it won't be tinted, it will be drawn above all tileset including star passable tiles. If you're okay with that, the script could be made.

I'm not saying I'd be the one who's going to make, just a possibility.

noot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Impossible.

There will be one consequence though, mainly because of how the RGSS3 engine works. When you start excluding specific sprites so that it won't be tinted, it will be drawn above all tileset including star passable tiles. If you're okay with that, the script could be made.

I'm not saying I'd be the one who's going to make, just a possibility.
Ooh, I see. Thanks for letting me know that, I had no idea. And honestly, I'd be completely okay with that, and it thankfully wouldn't be a problem with the specific part of my game that I need the untinted sprites for.

I don't know how complicated of a script this would have to be, but I guess that's what I'm asking for now. If anyone could figure one out for me, I'd be really grateful, and I'd be sure to give credit and all.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This script by Estroile seems to work. Haven't tested but it's reported working.

noot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This script by Estroile seems to work. Haven't tested but it's reported working.
IT WORKED!!! I don't know how I didn't find that sooner since I've been looking for a script exactly like that but it's perfect!! : D Oh my gosh thank you sooooo much! It's just what I needed. I really appreciate the help!!

Reactions: BCj

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

And back. Trying to work online with no internet for 1.5 days was...interesting. I felt like a character in a old Sierra game trying to find internet due to all the hoops I had to jump through just to get online for work.
grief... if MV didn't have certain plugins already, I think I'd upgrade to MZ. seeing like 10 MV plugins in 1 MZ one is hilariously convenient lol.
Have you already checkes out my mapping tutorial on the blog? I would love to hear your feedback and things you'd like to see in the future!

one of character for my upcoming game idk how to design o_O

Designing patches that can 'augmented' to clothing based armor. Such good fun. A bit time consuming due to the need to create image displays, but the patches are limited so it's not too tiring.
Note: lol, posting this made me find a couple mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Versitax