Flash animations in games?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Lyseth, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Lyseth

Lyseth Potato Mage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do I need a license of sorts if I wanted to use these commercially?

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As "Flash animations" could cover a vast range of things, would you please add more detail so that people don't waste their time answering about something that's different to what you actually have in mind.

Are you talking about the software used to create them? Specific animations that you have found for downloading? Ones you have made yourself using e.g. the Adobe Flash animation software? Or maybe something else entirely? All of those would require different answers.

It is courteous to your readers to give them at least some detail to work with. Otherwise you are just expecting everyone to read your mind.

3. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If by Flash animation you mean the SWF file format, then it may be possible to code support into a game but not necessarily recommended. It's an old format that's slowly losing support in newer platforms (source: 1, 2). What you could do is convert the SWF file into a video format instead. Or, if it's a short enough animation (battle animations, for example), export each frame into a PNG and reassemble within RPG Maker. Adobe Flash does allow you to export each frame of an .fla file into individual PNGs.

If it's other people's animations that you nicked off the web, you'll of course need the creator's permission. If you have no way to communicate with the creator, the rule of thumb is to always assume you can't use it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    SpunkyWunky likes this.
  4. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Assuming you are making them yourself the license you need comes with Adobe Flash Professional (not student).

Most modern browsers are on the edge of removing Flash support completely however so I would reconsider. It's an outdated and insecure format.

5. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why would you want to use Flash Player? That would increase resources needed to run the game with no real benefit... Modern web browsers have capabilities built in to their JS, HTML, and CSS engines that exceed Flash Player's capabilities.

You do NOT need a Flash license to deploy to swf format, only to use Adobe's Flash IDE (which is very good for animation BTW even if you don't use it for its main Flash Player deployment). There are open source and free alternatives to deploy to Flash Player.