Flash going away soon and what this means for you!

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So many of you have heard that Flash will be End-Of-Lifed in 2020. What does that mean? Like Windows, it will no longer receive updates at all, so it will eventually turn into more of a security and vulnerability risk than it already is. Most people don't know, but Flash, like Java, is not very secure. It's been used to compromise systems many different times and that has never changed. It's gotten better, but it wasn't fast enough to keep up. On top of that, it's very resource heavy, so it can make browsing experiences very sluggish. Not as bad at horribly coded Javascript, but still pretty bad. So, because Flash is being phased out, what does this mean for everyone else? This will mainly affect content creators that use Flash for websites or for making games. YouTube and many other video streaming sites already use HTML5 for their content and it's much better because of it. It's faster and lighter. But what about your Flash games?

Let me be straight here. Flash, in my opinion, has almost always been a piece of garbage. A marvel of internet technology, but badly executed. It could have been done better in many ways, but I won't get into that. Currently, there is still some content backed by Flash technology. Many of it has already been changed over to HTML5, but a lot of older coders and content creators didn't want to switch. It's a sad fact of technology that many of us can't accept change. I'm no different when it comes to Windows. Still, there is something interesting about the date given. They will be ending support for Flash in 2020. Why then and not now? They are giving people 3 years to switch over to HTML5 and it's related technologies. If it was an abrupt switch, they'd be doing the same thing Photobucket did when they changed to that $400 USD premium price for linking images. It would be a monumental disaster and Adobe, as a company, would be greatly affected.

This means that game and content developers have to make the switch, or else their Flash content will no longer work properly unless they stop further developing their site for new browsers and use outdated browsers that support the old plugin, but then that brings in even more security risks like malware, adware, ransomware, buggy operation on newer and updated systems, etc. I will say this now that if any developer does not update their games or content to HTML5/Web standards before the EOL time period, then they are not worth investing your time in to. It won't be worth the much higher risk to your computer being compromised or your information stolen.

I know, I'm spreading the doom and gloom pretty thick, but here's why. Vulnerable and risky plugins become banned/blocked/disabled by the major browsers by default to keep people's computers safe from threats. This is a good thing even if it can be annoying for functionality. That being said, while the technology won't be broken right out of the box, given a couple of days to a couple of weeks, all Flash content on all major browsers that support it will be completely broken after that due to how that works. Again, in my own personal opinion, I think that's perfectly okay. I'd rather we switch to faster, more reliable and more open web technologies than having an older, outdated and vulnerable standard that gives up no benefit over the current standards of HTML5/Web.

So, what should you do? Nothing if you don't use Flash for anything. If you are a content creator, better start brushing up on current web standards to convert your works over to it or if you are someone that views certain Flash content or plays games using it, talk to the creators/developers and encourage them to make the switch before the EOL time frame. If they are paying attention, they probably are already working on it and if they are even better than that, they probably already did it years ago.

In conclusion, I'm happy this is being phased out for better, more secure technology web standards. It's been a long time coming and now we can look forwards to better performance on the web in areas where it still exists and maybe Adobe will even lend their insight to make the technology better instead of hindering it.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm really curious what will happen to Adobe Animate (formerly Flash Professional). While I could careless about running shockwave media or even writing code in Actionscript, I really do like the way drawing and animating is handled that no other program seems to even remotely come close to replicating. This is where I mainly use the software today and I have stopped creating actual Flash content many years ago in favor of better technologies. Fortunately, they did add the ability to export content in HTML5 canvas to attempt to keep it alive though I never used it personally (and I can just export images/animations for MV for HTML5 or another engine if not an RPG) so I can't comment too much on it. Regardless, I would really hate to see it go, because at least for what the software was founded on (actual drawing and animation of things) is what it actually does really well and I hope Adobe can at least keep it alive for that purpose and find a way to completely kill off the need for a Flash codec. Hopefully this is why its now called Animate and the ability to export HTML5 canvas is hopefully a step in the right direction.

djDarkX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, seeing as it supports the ability to export to HTML5, it won't affect it. They'll probably only remove the ability to export to Flash. This can make converting older works, assuming people still have the sources for them, easier. And yeah, I have a feeling the reason they changed the name was because of the added functionality and perhaps because they, internally, were already planning to phase it out. I wouldn't worry about seeing Adobe Animate disappearing. With the HTML5 export, it'll stick around.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What does this mean for me? \(=^.^=)/ *starts the I've been waiting this day dance, followed by the I've been waiting for the day singers* I've hated flash for years upon years, because it's always sucking memory and worse is when they started to do 'auto play ads', so now, you get the pain of it stealing CPU and annoying you with random music playing that you can't locate. Ah, I still remember the day when Adobe swore that it was an important part of the internet, well, when I heard of HTML5, I knew that flash's days were numbered.

djDarkX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You and me both. I'm glad it's going away and I can't wait either.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Animate allows you to import Flash CS6 projects so people will able to convert those projects if necessary. I don't think you can import CS5 and earlier as Flash was never really good about importing older than one version before it, but at the same time CS5 and earlier (hell even CS6 at this point) are also quite old now, as in approaching 10 years old so projects that old that weren't converted before probably don't matter at this point.

As for the Flash player itself, I don't even install it until a particular page requires it and then I ask myself if I really need to visit this page. Same with Java though I get really annoyed when a site says I need Java and it is a site where I need to do something important like pay a bill... *angrily shake fist*. The other benefit of everything being HTML5 to is you don't need additional installations so very very casual users (think typical Grandma casual) can just open the browser and use without issues.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It will be sad for a lot of the old internet relics that will never be updated from Flash, but it's not like they'll truly be gone.

As far as animation, thankfully flash hasn't been the standard for digital 2D animation for a number of years now.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The thing I like about Flash is that Youtube video run much smoother on my old computer than the HTML5 player.
And I can access higher video resolution too. No idea why, but it's a fact on my comp'.
As OP said, it's sad that such a good technology was so flawed and misused.

evmaster

Think Outside the Box
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So what happens to sites like Newgrounds?

Edit: I just got Crunchyroll. Is it safe to download Flash in order to watch videos on that site?

djDarkX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@evmaster As I said in Jonforums status, they have three years before Flash is End of Life, so I'm pretty sure over time they'll get it changed over. That being said, it's safe and stable, for now, and will receive security and vulnerability updates until 2020, so it's safe enough for now. Besides, Crunchyroll is a very reputable site, so I do trust them.

Mister.Right

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@ChampX Java is not death. It's till the most popular language use to date see Ranking. What dying is Java Swing is a component of Java to handle web UI similar to of Flash. When you were asked to install Java properly is java run time (JVM). There are many of the programs depend on JVM, even your Android is JVM power.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was referring to Java applets on web pages. Those are practically dead. I'm very well aware of Java's popularity in academia and back-end enterprise and to some extent Android devices as well (though I think that's being phased out to). There's a lot of other hardware that runs Java to (like I'm sure somebody on this forum has a car or microwave that uses it), but Flash basically replaced Java on the web because Java had security issues and just a lot of bloat. Java use on the web (applets, not back-end) has basically died and Flash is dying now as well.

I could actually write a long long rant on Java as a language in of itself (and why I prefer others such as C++ or C#), but that is not the topic of this thread.

evmaster

Think Outside the Box
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So what happens to sites like newgrounds and every other site ever that has uploaded Flash? What happens to flash files? Will they become unplayable? Will a new program run them?

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Bah I knew it was coming and I can't keep patching cs5 anymore (sob!) Well I have html5 to continue tinkering with... I hate when stuff I like using becomes obselete >_<

evmaster

Think Outside the Box
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So question: The last year for flash use is 3 years? Does that mean everyone will be able to use flash stuff until 2020? As in it's not going away this year or the next? I know you said 2020 but I just wanted to double check. Just to make sure nothing new is going on where stuff will be updating within the next 2 months to prevent usage. (I'm having a hard time believing they are giving 3 years and not 6 months)

Last edited:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Will there be some tool to reconvert/save ancient flash sites/programs?

evmaster

Think Outside the Box
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will there be some tool to reconvert/save ancient flash sites/programs?
/\ I'd like to know an answer too.

Another question I have is that I made buttons and an Eevee animation with Flash. How will that work out? Will any animations I make in the future be playable after Flash is killed on my computer? Or will I not be able to play anything Flash on the internet and offline?

TakeHomeTheCup

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm pretty sure it will still work after 2020, but it will be unsafe to use. Also, some browsers will probably get rid of it, completely.

evmaster

Think Outside the Box
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But if I made it and run it offline wouldn't it be safe still??? And if I made it, I know I didn't script viruses or stuff into it???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

what to do when you come across a person that has stated "What if I say, f*** their EULA? I could probably get away with it." concerning asset packs sold here... on this site ...
So a guy enters in a bar and walks up to the counter. He looks the bartender with a mysterious look and asks him...
I've wondered for a while now... what is it about the YED SV plugin that just doesn't do transformations... I feel it's how it looks up the battlers honestly.
To actually work on my game, or browse these forums about creating my game? Hmmm....
Tanning beds are actually vampire traps. Coffin shaped but the minute they're inside... BAM UV Rays. Dead Vampire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miss_Behavin