Flashlight/torch effect

ilohm001

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
 Ok, so I'm making a mystery/horror game and I can't figure out how to make my main character....glow Like she has a flashlight or torch so she can see. I've tried a script tha didnt help with my "learn as you read stuff and use code and try it out" method. Is there a smipler way to keep the flash light on the character forver while she walkes around this weird world she is invading?

ilohm001

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
You don't necessarily need  a script. You can use a picture and an event for this type of effect. :)
 Ok, how can you do that? I've tinkered with RPG MAkers before but I never got fully into it with events and such.

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Okay, it's going to require the use of a picture graphic, such as this one:

And one parallel process event similar to this one that would be on every map that needs the flashlight effect:

Now what this event does is track the player's position via the variable X and Y, then using those coordinates to center the picture. Since the event is a parallel process, it will run continuously, updating the image placement as the player moves.

Since you mention that you haven't gotten fully into events, I strongly suggest reading a guide or two about switches and variables. They're two of the most important building blocks you'll use, and mastering them will make events much easier to understand and create. :)

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses

And one parallel process event similar to this one that would be on every map that needs the flashlight effect:

Now what this event does is track the player's position via the variable X and Y, then using those coordinates to center the picture. Since the event is a parallel process, it will run continuously, updating the image placement as the player moves.

Since you mention that you haven't gotten fully into events, I strongly suggest reading a guide or two about switches and variables. They're two of the most important building blocks you'll use, and mastering them will make events much easier to understand and create. :)
wow Never know this was possible to do this via event!

but for more ''easy'' use you can always also use Khas Awesome lighthning script? this is really easy to use! 

ilohm001

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses

Ok, so I put the codein and I got this.

and I did this

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Ok, try switching from "Center" to "Upper Left".

And if that doesn't work, increase the Zoom (on the right side) to 200%. :)

ilohm001

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Ok, try switching from "Center" to "Upper Left".

And if that doesn't work, increase the Zoom (on the right side) to 200%. :)
Woo! Got it to center! But stll wont follow my character. .... T_T

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Does the switch you have at the end stop the event from repeating? Because it does need to continuously run in order to follow the player. :)

ilohm001

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Does the switch you have at the end stop the event from repeating? Because it does need to continuously run in order to follow the player. :)
I removed the switches and tint, and noices it does follow the character, but not how I want it to.. The light stays in the middle of the room and barel moves. Maybe a smaller picture is needed? While placing a darker image below it?

looks like that. You can notice the picture ends on the sides.... and th light stays in the middle. It kinda moves, but not with the chracter.

Last edited by a moderator:

ilohm001

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses

Loz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tried this on MV, seems to work but not properly as the transition is very choppy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Transferring over the character creation to MMO MV is going okie-ish, but slow~ Mainly image assets reformatting/reworking I have to do to work in this engine is a pain. XD At least the MMO battles works pretty well so far! Woop woop! :kaoluv:
At this point I'm sorta convinced that the joke "they mix something in the cafeteria food" may be true. Like, every single person seems to be dozing off in class right after lunch...
Saying overused tropes are bad is like saying I - IV - V - I chord progression is bad.
I swear, the last 3 weeks I haven't felt like helping people at all. No idea why, even if I know the exact solution they need. Might need to harness my inner @Shaz or something. :LZSexcite: :thumbsup-right:
Look, I get that it's illegal, but...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elad