First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
mejoltbannerflesh.png

「 A sinful nature. 」

Original Release Date: October 24, 2018

※ Story -Overview- ※

"Flesh is a dark fantasy game where you play as a mage who begins on a path to learn the secrets of necromancy. Journey through the broken world of Alma as you search for the powers locked within the human body.

What sort of mysteries will you uncover?
"

Kleinman XOXO/Internet Personality

※ Game Information ※

Flesh is my entry for the 2018’s “A Game By Its Cover”. The idea behind this game jam was to pick up a fictional cover made for the “My Famicase Exhibition” hosted by Super Meteor in Japan and turn it into a game/project/anything playable (or not). I got really inspired by the “Flesh” cover and description. So much I decided to contact the original creator, Kleinman XOXO, who wasn’t only extremely nice and answered all my mails, he also wished me luck with the project.

The game can be considered an adventure with some really light RPG touches and “experiments” with certain elements present in a number of NES games, particularly Hydlide, The Legend of Zelda and Megami Tensei.

The player controls the main character, Neux, on a journey through Alma, a monster infested territory in an attempt to stop the siege of the demon race. The game world is semi-open, as objectives can be completed in different orders, and to aid you in the (turn-based) battles you can summon undead versions of the monsters you defeat by using specific items during combat.

※ Game Screenshots ※

※ Game Features ※
  • Unravel the secrets buried in the blasted lands and darkest dungeons of the mysterious land of Alma.​
  • Dominate your enemies by learning fantastic spells and finding hidden power-ups.​
  • Use the remains of defeated monsters to summon their undead counterparts.​
  • Get ready to face Valak! He shall be awaiting your arrival…
  • Featuring a fantastic music score taken from Ocean Dream‘s Nostalgia Pack
  • Average Play Time: 45 Minutes ~ 1 Hour​

※ Gameplay Video ※

Thank you so much for your support!
Please, consider visiting my website to keep track of this and other projects!
https://fantasysimulation.com

You can also find me on #Twitter...
https://twitter.com/kainworks

... and check out my channel in Youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_ASI5kQqv_rMEDC8JB5_Mg

Instruction booklet concept and wordmark by KLEINMANN XOXO.

Last edited:

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heh I like the name! Game looks cool!

ozubon

surströmming?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now this looks very interesting. Really love the DOS graphics and pseudonostalgia, I will try it out now. To be continued?

kainworks

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Heh I like the name! Game looks cool!
Thank you! ^^ Yeah! I realized it was fitting you were the one posting here first with that username! :D

Love the style! WIll have to give this a go.
Thanks a lot! Love to hear back from you if you do! ^^

Now this looks very interesting. Really love the DOS graphics and pseudonostalgia, I will try it out now. To be continued?
Nice to know there's more people in love with the aesthetics of that era! Thanks, really! ^^

Last edited:

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played your game.
It's called Flesh so I'd like to say it was the best game ever made. Sadly I can't... The combat needs a complete overhaul. You die from the first enemy and it's luck whether you make it passed them or not. Each attack you use takes up your mp and there's no basic attack that doesn't require mp. If I can't beat a regular enemy I sure as heck can't beat the boss it's asking me to beat. For me the game was unplayable.
The boss froze me so I couldn't move for 3-4 turns and kept attacking me. I died before I could move.
Also when you die you don't regain your hp or mp.

The graphics are nice though.

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Gave the game a go. I found the power-ups that I could. Had the mirror thingy for reflection, had 100HP and 100 MP. Got stuck fighting the Oculust. The fights were challenging until I learned the second magic spell. I tried at least 6 times to kill the Oculust and could not.

That being said. Not having a base attack to use that doesn't use resources forced me to stay around the beginning area so I could run back and forth and heal. I couldn't find HP recovery items that could be used in battle, only MP recovery items (not sure if that was intentional.) The cost of items to but so that I wouldn't have to stick around was expensive compared to the amount of money dropped by enemies.

Overall, the game was not bad. I did enjoy the little bit I have got to play so far. I will more than likely get back on and see if there was something else I missed. Keep it up!

Johnny_Ray

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Long stun + high chance to apply = bad!
at least make it like a skill used when the boss has low hp but don't give it a long duration or smth nor high dmg.. so if you can't take him out fast in terms of dmg he'll wreck most of your hp.
also don't make it usable on and on..make it have a cooldown or like i said above a special condition.
Then again it's not a 100% bad game it has potential if patched up a bit.
Love the music

kainworks

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I played your game.
It's called Flesh so I'd like to say it was the best game ever made. Sadly I can't... The combat needs a complete overhaul. You die from the first enemy and it's luck whether you make it passed them or not. Each attack you use takes up your mp and there's no basic attack that doesn't require mp. If I can't beat a regular enemy I sure as heck can't beat the boss it's asking me to beat. For me the game was unplayable.
The boss froze me so I couldn't move for 3-4 turns and kept attacking me. I died before I could move.
Also when you die you don't regain your hp or mp.

The graphics are nice though.

Whoah! First and foremost, THANKS for making this little playthrough video. It really made my day! Also thank you for trying the game!

Now, where can I start! lol This game has been out for a while, so I got many different kind of impressions from different people, which to me are all valid, ALL those good or bad opinions have helped me immensely.

With that said, and judging solely by your playthrough, I guess I probably failed hard at making some mechanics more obvious to the player, particularly the most important: You need to rely on the monsters you defeat.

Enemies defeated have always a chance of dropping an item, including "sand", that needs to be used during combat to summon them. Hence, the idea is to use those enemies to be able to battle stronger ones and continue the trend. You didn't use this key mechanic in your playthrough at all, so I consider this my mistake for not making it more obvious to more players (you only got into one battle and specifically that one didn't reward you with that item, though).

There's a key item in game to completely negate the effect of that particular boss, so keeping with the trial and error mechanic, you aren't supposed to get into that dungeon straight away (again, the idea of not having roadlocks resulted in this issue).

I really appreciate you took your time to put up this even if the experience was sour! Thanks a bunch! ^^

Gave the game a go. I found the power-ups that I could. Had the mirror thingy for reflection, had 100HP and 100 MP. Got stuck fighting the Oculust. The fights were challenging until I learned the second magic spell. I tried at least 6 times to kill the Oculust and could not.

That being said. Not having a base attack to use that doesn't use resources forced me to stay around the beginning area so I could run back and forth and heal. I couldn't find HP recovery items that could be used in battle, only MP recovery items (not sure if that was intentional.) The cost of items to but so that I wouldn't have to stick around was expensive compared to the amount of money dropped by enemies.

Overall, the game was not bad. I did enjoy the little bit I have got to play so far. I will more than likely get back on and see if there was something else I missed. Keep it up!
Thanks a lot for playing the game! Hope the previous explanation has helped me somehow to clarify, let's say, how the game works! ^^ Summoning monsters and getting new ones is key to advance! ^^

Long stun + high chance to apply = bad!
at least make it like a skill used when the boss has low hp but don't give it a long duration or smth nor high dmg.. so if you can't take him out fast in terms of dmg he'll wreck most of your hp.
also don't make it usable on and on..make it have a cooldown or like i said above a special condition.
Then again it's not a 100% bad game it has potential if patched up a bit.
Love the music
Thank you for commenting! ^^ The battle mechanics are way more simple than they seem. There's no grinding for EXP or Leveling Up involved per se. It's all about summoning monsters and collecting power ups! I guess is an approach not everyone like and that's ok! ^^

Sorry for the text-wall, and thank you all once again! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Before I am done with even one game, I am going to need Psychiatric assistance after doing all these sprites!
Still I am improving, Spriting not mental fortitude.
It's still early days, and I was going to keep this under wraps until development is a bit further along, but I'm just so damn proud of how robust the integrity-checking in this plugin is that I have to share it.
Do you think the new RPG Maker MZ has support for Android devices ?
JDgoldvox wrote on Mr. Detective's profile.
hey, could u help me with a problem? basically, How do I delete a character from a map after a cut scene is over? I am really new with RPG maker MV. Please help!
The most rewarding part of making custom body character parts is absolutely not making the masks work. Somebody please put me out of my misery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdamEternal