Pazjf

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi all,

I've encountered a strange issue when testing out my game and it's quite a major one for me.

My project relies heavily on creating simple 'animations' on-screen by switching between pictures with a 'wait' delay. The game is unusual in the way that most of the gameplay is presented through displaying pictures rather than using the typical RPG maker style, so I really need to find a solution to the problem.

For example:

I display Car1 off screen

It moves onto the screen

I switch between Car1 and Car2 a few times, each with a 0.5 second wait time, to make it look like the car is bobbing up and down.

The car then drives off the screen.

What happens here is that when the car drives onto the screen it's fine, but switching to the Car2 image causes a flicker when the image switches. Oddly, after the first flicker this doesn't happen again. But around 90% of my game uses image switching to change character poses, menu icons etc. So it's really obvious to anyone playing!

Given that the 'animation' works okay after the first flicker I thought I'd try creating a common event that loads the images first, but for some reason that didn't work either. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
The issu is that MV loads images assynchronously. So alwasy you load a new image for the fist time, it will cause a small flicker.

The common event idea you had should work as the image is stored on the cache once it is loaded first. maybe the issue is with how the event is set up.

Pazjf

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The issu is that MV loads images assynchronously. So alwasy you load a new image for the fist time, it will cause a small flicker.

The common event idea you had should work as the image is stored on the cache once it is loaded first. maybe the issue is with how the event is set up.

You were right. After a bit more testing and trying, I managed to make it work, oddly, by adding a small 'wait' in between loading each image in the common event. For some reason it doesn't work if you don't include a wait command, and the wait also can't be too short or you get an error. Still, looks like it's working now so thanks for the extra information!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sneak peak of my upcoming update! Who's holding her, you may ask? Find out tonight!
10.PNG
BCj
Finished another GUI! Turn indicator wasn't made by me.

ff981f8dc50b03cf58038c644334b454.jpg

3cb092fdc00087acfa0a190fd891f0ed.jpg
Added a small refining scene to my game.

It makes sense that you try to focus on the squishy mages at the back of the party first, right? If the mage can out-DPS the enemy DPS before the latter can kill the tank in front, the fight becomes boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diskidd