FluidTimestep -- Fix the game speed

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Galenmereth, Nov 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Well, the game does run at 120 fps, it only gets rendered at a stable 60 Hz.

/edit: Oops, i got it the wrong way around ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
  2. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is incorrect actually Iavra. The game gets updated visually at 120fps if your monitor is 120hz and your computer can handle it; the game logic gets updated 60 times per second like normal. It's indeed correct that it displays 120 fps; that is exactly what we want: faster framerate on higher refresh rates without breaking the game speed.

Roguedeus likes this.
  3. jackseg

jackseg Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Very good. Better than FPSLimit wich limit 60FPS all the time with micro-stuttering.

Galenmereth likes this.
  4. MikeMakes

MikeMakes Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It seems to fix the thing with how Full Screen at a large resolution runs slower than the smaller start up screen. :)

Before, I had to set the default speed of player to like 5 to walk faster than a snail in Full Screen, but on smaller screen, he would walk too fast.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
    Galenmereth likes this.
  5. Kenen

Kenen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the great plugin. I just started using a 144hz monitor today, and I'm glad that this plugin was available.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2015
    Galenmereth likes this.
  6. Chocobo

Chocobo Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Thank you for this plugin, I'm glad that I accidentally stumbled upon this thread :)

When I tested it, I noticed an issue (minor or major is up to the player, I guess). When the map is being scrolled, most of the time it's smooth, but sometimes, the scrolling "jumps" a bit. It doesn't do so while your plugin is disabled. Sadly, this bug is not of a very reproducible nature, it behaves more like a race condition or timing problem.

But you should be able to see the bug if you create a map, say 40 x 40, and put some stuff like mountains on it so you can notice the "jumps". Then, create an event with a parallel process that scrolls the map from the left to the right and watch for half a minute or so. Sometimes, everything is smooth, so trying it multiple times with F5 may help. Instead of scrolling, you can also just walk across the map.

I noticed this issue on my laptop (60 Hz monitor plus GeForce 640M) and on my old computer (75 Hz monitor plus GeForce 9400GT (with having the chromium gpu blacklist disabled)).

7. Nev

Nev Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for this plugin, it was pretty essential for me. Sadly I have an issue whereby if I use an event to change the "graphic", be it via a switch or movement route, you can see the character sheet flash up on the screen a second before the graphic change takes place. 

I've put my monitor's refresh rate down to 60hz to test and it doesn't SEEM like it happens when I do that. It also doesn't seem to happen when I disable this plugin (but I need it because the game runs too fast otherwise). And considering most people who I send my game to will probably be playing on a 60hz monitor I suppose it isn't a big deal, but it's still pretty jarring to see when I'm testing the game as it has a few animations and switches where the graphics change in certain parts.

One thing that's interesting is that I've noticed it only happens the "first" time I change the graphic. Once that's been loaded for the first time, it switches between the graphics fine without the sheet flashing up.

Edit:

I'm trying to upload a recording of it but whenever I record the glitch isn't there. I guess because it's not recording at that refresh rate. I might have to make a mockup to explain what I'm talking about if you don't follow.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2016
  8. StarWarrior00

StarWarrior00 ~ King of Cuteness ~ Veteran

First Language:
    English (US)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    When I use analog move with this plugin the game lags considerably while moving going to as low as 4FPS. If I have only one or the other on, it works as normal.

9. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll take a look at this. Added to the buglist.

Please specify what you mean by "one or the other": What other plugins are you using together with this one?

10. Prescott

Prescott argggghhh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

By one or the other he means Analog Move or Fluid Timestep

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
  11. StarWarrior00

First Language:
    English (US)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
     If I have just Analog Move on, it doesn't lag. If I have just Fluid Timestep on, it doesn't lag. If I have both of them on at any point in time, it lags.

12. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I tested these two plugins and I can't reproduce the issue. I recorded it just in case I did something different from you: 

13. StarWarrior00

First Language:
    English (US)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I fixed the issue myself. It just so happened it was caused by a simple placement issue in the plugin manager.

14. Nev

Nev Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey, were you able to reproduce this bug? I was recording some gameplay footage and it ended up on video, which it wasn't doing before whenever I recorded. So I could show it to you now, but maybe you've already seen it.

15. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Important! With version 1.1.0 of MV, this solution is included in the core code of the engine (rpg_managers.js), and so this plugin should not be used in addition to that! It won't cause any problems but it's better not to since this is now superfluous :)

16. Saneterre

Saneterre Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    thanks a lot though !

17. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
     Is it applied to projects that have been created before the update ?

18. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Marsigne and Chaos17 like this.
  19. KaYsEr

KaYsEr Koruldia Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for this plugin Galenmereth. Well, now I can't say plugin since it's inside the engine ;)  but I'm wondering if it means you will stop any further update?

The only thing I can say is that sometime (on specific screens) I experience a "sensation" of frame-drop (I say "sensation" because the FPS counter doesn't change) and it can stay for 20 or 30 seconds before going back to normal, it's pretty random and you never know when it's going to happen. And on some screens it doesn't happen at all.

20. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No I won't be updating this anymore :) But the reason for the minor visual jitter than can occur at times is that while this fluid timestep solution is the right way to do it, many of the core functions for drawing positions don't take variables of it into account, which can cause these weird "off pixel" things to occur. Implementing fixes to that would mean changing a whole ton of core functionality in the engine, though, making it quite likely to conflict with a lot of other plugins out there, and not something I'd like to take on myself.