Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I was reading up the help file for Fonts, and saw that you can feed it an array for Font.default_name

so I tried writing this line out:

Font.default_name = ["VL Gothic","Arial","Times New Roman"]Which I think should have made it such that if the first font is not there, it will check for the next and so on...but when I tested it on my office comp, without VL Gothic, it returned an error instead about not finding VL Gothic.

So I'd just like to ask if I need to do something more than just the array?

PS: I know Yanfly's core uses that too, but I cannot check that right now since I can't seem to access his dropbox links from here...

Yato

(aka Racheal)
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Try a font that is not VL Gothic. That font is kind of special, and even a game that does not use it will crash without it/the rtp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
okay... I'll see

PS: oh crap, I can't right now... I only have Lite here in the office. Thanks anyways I'll try it later. :)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The error message would be helpful ;)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
that's almost the exact error, Unable to Find VL Gothic Font...

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That IS what it should do, and I'm pretty sure it's done it for me before. Do you HAVE VL Gothic on that computer? Do you have both of the others?

I'd be checking to see if NONE of them are available, and that's why the error is coming up. Or to see if there are other scripts that change the default font or only use VL Gothic. If the error doesn't actually point to that very line, it could be another spot that's triggering it.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have both Arial and TNR, just VL is missing on this computer... I only use my own scripts on that so I'm sure there's no other scripts lurking that change the default font aside from 1 event that uses Papyrus on a specific font object, not the default... the game isn't linked to the RTP too...

and the error doesn't point to any script btw... the error happens upon loading... or is it that Game.exe looks for VL Gothic no matter what?

EDIT: Found Racheal's thread: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/19667-standalone-without-vl-gothic-is-it-possible/?hl=gothic

seems like you need VL Gothic no matter what...

cremnophobia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
RGSS3 requires having "VL Gothic" installed (fonts in the Fonts folder get temporarily installed), even if the game isn't using it. Copy a font with the name "VL Gothic" (can be even a fake one) to Fonts if your game isn't using the default RTP.

And I think this feature doesn't make much sense anymore. It did in RGSS1 because back then there was no builtin font installation. Well, at least a bit because you had to make sure there was no cut off or squeezed text with those alternative fonts.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I THINK I have a slightly better grasp on drawing my maps now... sorta. I still need to figure out how to draw a city of sorts. I've only got the abstract going so far.
One day, I'll not have this lingering cough and we'll have another make a game stream.
A music I create while practicing E Major scale. :D
Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxdiagnostical