Font executes but doesn't recognize Enter for line break?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickyka

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay, so this is super weird. I changed the in-game font to Nyala which can be found here:

When I am in-game, regular text line breaks work just fine:

But when I look at help window text in-game, I get this:

<a href=

There's a weird system "?" where I use the Enter key to do a line break. I switched the font back to VL Gothic, no issues. Checked the .ttf files, but could see no discernible differences besides the font itself. I also tried it with OpenSans, which creates the issue and a random font not in the Fonts folder, which also creates the issue.

For reference, this is how I'm changing the font:

I tried it with and without brackets. I'm completely stumped!

EDIT: Not running any font scripts. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I initially thought it has something to do with RGSS coding, but after my own troubleshooting, I'm thinking it's something else. I just don't know what!

Last edited:

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Your adjustment to Yea's configuration... Well, I guess Yea has a configuration module, a subdivision called 'Core' where you are meant to adjust values such as FONT_NAME and FONT_SIZE. You're meant to set them at that point in his script. However, your edit is not invalid and should work.

For your HELP display showing the error, it would be better for a comparison with a shot of it using the functional non-error font.

The visible [?] that you are seeing is generated when the font you are using is trying to render a character that it does not support. It is rendering the [?] as a placeholder for some character it does not support. Typically (or here) it could be some attempt at a whitespace that isn't exactly the same as a normal spacebar space (chr 32).

And the font should not affect line breaks in message systems. It isn't the font that dictates this, but message codes. The actual message code that creates a line break is \n (as long as the message is a text kept within doublequotes). At least, that is common practice as it is the default line break character.

If a message was sent into RPGMaker's message system read "This is my message. Please ignore\nthe mistypes." it should show as:
This is my message. Please ignore
the mistypes.

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Get the Custom Font Junk Symbol Fix from this topic:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/rgss3-unofficial-bugfix-snippets.1131/

That should fix the weird symbols on line breaks.

I don't know the exact reason of why these symbols just appear, but they appear for custom fonts only. The default font of the engine (VL Gothic) will never render these junk symbols, they only appear at custom fonts. So, yes, the custom font used is the thing that makes them appear (for whatever reasons), not the message codes.

stickyka

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@DerVVulfman Right. I wanted to change the whole in-game font to nyala, so I edited main only to realize that YEA overrides main and I had to edit what is essentially the rewrite of main. For specific areas in the Luna engine, it can call on font types.

This is what it would look like without the custom font:

As you can see, I'm not using any special symbols. I also tried using \n within the text, but because it's not a "" situation, it just delivered \n right back at me. Following Sixth's post, I was able to solve the issue in that spot, but

@Sixth Thanks! That fixed it in the skill description, but there's some other characters that don't display in other areas, still. But now I can see for certain that it's completely based on the font not being able to support specialized characters. I'll google the rest on how to fix this and return with an answer or keep an eye out for more updates on this thread!

UPDATE:
Okay, this one is interesting. So, here's the deal:

There's a handy tool in Windows OS called "Character Map" which you can access through the search bar if you don't know how to find it.

With that open, you can select your various fonts and check the entire character map and see ALL the symbols/letters/etc that a regular .ttf file won't show you.

This includes the whole list of unicode characters the font supports.

From this point, you can use that tool to send the characters to a clipboard and then copy/insert them into your text. HOWEVER, if the font you're set to doesn't support that character, you'll get a weird symbol. This is a neat way to get non-ascii (alt code) symbols into your project since you typically can't use unicode code.

That still doesn't answer why using Enter for a line break in the help window description causes an issue when it works fine in normal dialogue text. Except that, in my research, it seems the descriptive/help windows use a slightly different coding that doesn't recognize the Enter key of the specific font I'm using. Or maybe vice versa.

In any case, the junk symbol script fix cured the line break problem. Then, for things like → which my game's font doesn't support, I can ctrl+f in the scripts to find instances of it and replace it with a symbol from my font's character map.

If anyone has trouble following that, shoot me a message and I'll gladly help out!

Now, another option is a site called Font Forge, apparently, which I didn't mess with. But that site seems to let you edit fonts, which you probably should be very careful of since fonts are typically copyrighted or otherwise intellectual properties of someone else. But, theoretically, I could have used that site to possibly swap around the character map.

Reporting this thread for being solved and thanks for the help, as always!

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just noticed the minigame challenge. Now considering...
My project just started lagging during battle and I haven't been able to figure out why...
Oh, Google is now warning users against installing extensions on Edge Chromium
on my plate today- animation.
"Your service has been identified as part of an outage. This is expected to be restored by 7pm IN SEVEN DAYS!!!" Guess I won't be around as much over the next week :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kbtit