mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I was looking for a font for my project, I was thinking about how it can be hard to know how a font will look in game without testing a bunch of them. I thought perhaps we could have a topic where members share what fonts they've used successfully, to perhaps cut down on the time of searching and trialing them. So if you've used a font outside of the standard ones for the engines, please feel free to share and include the following:

Font name:

Terms of use:

(Note - this is the terms of the creator of the font, found where the font can be downloaded)

Download at:

(Include a link to the website you can get the font at)

Screenshot:

(Not required, but would be nice to see it in action. Use spoilers if it is a large image.)

Engine you used it in:

(Not necessary, but I'm wondering if they might appear differently in different engines?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This would be a godsend of a topic if it gets going. Its easy to find fonts but finding fonts that look completely right for everything the maker demands is another thing entirely.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's my hope Vox, is that we can all save each other a bit of time and have a good "library" so to speak of fonts that look nice in game.

Caz

Green Eyes Blonde Dragon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ahhh this is an amazing topic idea!!

One of my favourite font makers is Vanessa Bays (http://bythebutterfly.com/shop.php). She does some seriously cute commercial fonts that are really affordable. One font is only $15 for unlimited commercial use, which is a godsend. You can download all her fonts to try out for free on dafont.com too, so you can try before you buy sorta thing.

My favourite of them, which I'm using for my game at the moment, is:

Font Name: Please Write Me A Song

Terms of Use:

" You may download my fonts for personal use for FREE. If you are interested in COMMERCIAL use, please purchase the license here: http://bythebutterfly.com/shop.php I offer different packages & bulk discounts.You MAY redistribute my fonts on your website for download as long as you credit (link) me, Vanessa Bays @ http://bythebutterfly.com as the original creator. "

Download at: dafont

Engine you used it in: VXAce but it should work in MV too.

Screenshot: 

placeholdersyay.jpg

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the links Caz! I love those fonts, they're so cute, I'm gonna buy them.

I once bought a pack of fonts on Sellfy, and they were all pretty neat as well. Just can't remember the packname haha.

I stick to sans-serif fonts for games, and everyone should, too.

hadecynn

Dreams Circle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a great idea.

Just wanted to point out that if you're not looking for something extra artsy but just want a non-RTP standard font, you should also consider just using the pre-installed fonts on Windows to save both time and money. I can't exactly vouch for Times New Roman or Arial, but some of the newer standard fonts like Calibri, Segoe UI, or Verdana are all pretty timeless.

Might post a screenshot when I get home later.   See post below.

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I concur, this is a great idea! I look forward to seeing what kind of fonts people have found and liked.

Font name: Proza Libre

Terms of use: Uses SIL Open Font License, which allows modifying and redistributing the font and using it in commercial works (full license text)

Download at: Font Squirrel

Screenshot:

Bust-v1_zpsweilorji.png

(Ignore the awkward sprite placement and such. :p)

Engine you used it in: RPG Maker MV

I found Proza Libre pleasing to look at and easy to read - and it also includes at least Ä and Ö, which is a large plus for me. It's nothing too fancy but works well as a general font.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is a great thread! <3

I always struggle to find a good font! D:

1001fonts is another good website to check for fonts btw, beside dafont and FontSquirrel ;)

@Caz thanks for sharing! She has done some awesome fonts!

hadecynn

Dreams Circle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's one of my work-in-progress GUIs using Calibri. I hope it shows that you can pull off some cool stuff even with free Windows-bundled fonts. (The picture aspects of the GUI uses Century Gothic, which is also a free WIndows font. Also worth mentioning is how font SIZE plays a big role in the perception of fonts as well)

Fonts.png

waynee95

Inactive
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@hadecynn Wow! This looks so amazing. Are there some tutorials out there to create gui like that?

Vinje

Some Weirdo
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Finding the right font for your game can be difficult at times, so this is a nice thread to have.

Font Name: Sad Films 

Terms of Use: "This font includes a license that allows free commercial use: sometimes referred to as a desktop license. This allows you to install the font on a computer and use it to create posters, web graphics, game graphics, t-shirts, videos, signs, logos and more. Read the license agreement for details.If you'd like to embed this font in an app, ebook, on the web or anything that's not covered by the desktop license agreement, visit the link below. You'll find distributors who offer different types of licenses or you can contact me for help."http://typodermicfonts.com/sad-films/

Download at: dafont

Engine you used it in: MV, since it's the only engine I own.

Well due to my ignorance of font embedding in apps, I  redact my post.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Vinje Take care of this though, taken from the license page of that site

Font embedding in apps

If you're making an application and you're using my fonts to create a title or some other graphic elements, the regular (desktop) license is sufficient. Sometimes you need to include or encode the actual font file data inside the application. This requires an app license. There are two types of application license.

AFAIK, at least VX Ace and below, you do need the data file inside of the game folder for it to work without the user manually downloading and installing that font into their computers. That will fall into the include the actual font file in the application part. Using a font to make graphics, and actually having the font in the game folder are different things. So it will probably be safer to ask users to just install that font.

And because on a time far ago, people said that even fonts that ship with your Windows OS cannot be just legally placed into the game folder, I decided to actually search for it.

For everyone using fonts supplied with windows (from https://www.microsoft.com/typography/faq/faq11.htm )

Font redistribution and license issues

If you have any questions about font redistribution and license issues send them to how to contact us. Where possible we will post questions and answers here.

Q What can I do with the fonts supplied with Microsoft products?

A The fonts are governed by the same restrictions as the products they are supplied with. You are not allowed to copy, redistribute or reverse engineer the font files. For full details see the license agreement supplied with the product.

Putting them into the game folder will also probably fall into redistribution (or plain copy actually) since people can then get them from your folder. So better pray that everyone playing your game has those fonts in their windows computer. Unless they're using jurassic windows, they probably have those fonts installed.

As for my favorite font... hmmm... I haven't really used much custom fonts, so... The font that was shipped with the Pixel Myth: Germania Pack (cant put links and screenie right now). 

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Aww!  That's awesome!  I made that font myself.  I hadn't heard anyone really say anything about it so I didn't think anyone appreciated it.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it really fits the whole graphics pack. :)

hadecynn

Dreams Circle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks to @Engr. Adiktuzmiko for pointing out that Microsoft fonts are not licensed for free distribution. I was not aware of this.

Fortunately, their friendly competitor has a generous offering of fonts that, as far as my understanding goes, are free for both commercial and non-commercial use.

https://fonts.google.com/

Edit: I've downloaded some of them, they seem to come with their own EULAs, some of which requires the inclusion of said EULA and/or crediting if the fonts are distributed, which isn't a problem. The safest approach is to treat the legalities of font as you would with any other types of resources used in your game, and you should be fine.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I'm going to change the title of this topic to "Font Library" - sounds a little better, imo. And thank you all for taking care with the terms and conditions. I don't think posting paragraphs for that is necessary, just something like "public domain" or "free for commercial use" is fine. Or if it's a longer explanation, a link to the terms would be fine.

Also, when we get a bit more, I will start a list in the main topic so that they are easier to find. I don't want to discourage the talk of fonts in favor of the actual posted fonts being easier to find, so a list will be good I think.

Reactions: Kes

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Guys, I made a trailer! And, I also launched the Steam page! If you would like to support the game, please Wishlist it :ahappy: ->
working on some tilesets _ノ乙(、ン、)_

CIBl8xT.png

Oq8WKHX.png
aww man, color hex code #C4C4C4 doesn't work for the tint value in this scene I need something darker, which stinks just because I liked that one it was my favorite plastic explosive three times...#696969 (nice) should work better (WHY IS MY BRAIN LIKE THIS)
Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kip_