Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I'm looking for fonts that would look good for the game damage numbers. I can format it myself. I'm just looking for recommendations of fonts, not an actual "Damage.png". My preference is pixel fonts, but it isn't an absolute requirement. Thanks in advance!

TheAM-Dol

Randomly Generated User Name
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One of the big names in font distribution is dafont.com
The font I am using I found through there - they had a free demo, but I had to purchase a license to use it with my game. The nice thing about purchasing a license though means you're less likely to use the same font as another game and vice versa :LZSwink:

My humble, personal request: please be mindful of readability over style. I've seen so many indie games go with some absolutely heinous fonts for their game: overly bold taking up too much room in the UI, too stylistic making it too hard to read.
Yes, default fonts are ugly (honestly tired of seeing Arial - thanks Unity for making that the default), but at least default fonts are readable and don't use an unnecessary amount of UI space to display 1 word.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheAM-Dol Yes, dafont is best place to look for fonts. @Frostorm it's exacly hard to tell wich font to recommend, because font on web / in document will have different look than in MV/MZ game, so your best option is to select few most fitting to your game setting and test them, and to make your life easier - click.

Perfect DOS VGA 437 looks promissing.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My humble, personal request: please be mindful of readability over style. I've seen so many indie games go with some absolutely heinous fonts for their game: overly bold taking up too much room in the UI, too stylistic making it too hard to read.
@TheAM-Dol Yes, dafont is best place to look for fonts. @Frostorm it's exacly hard to tell wich font to recommend, because font on web / in document will have different look than in MV/MZ game, so your best option is to select few most fitting to your game setting and test them, and to make your life easier - click.

Yea, that's why I'm looking for fonts lol. A lot of the good-looking fonts I found ended up not looking as well as I hoped in-game (as @Soulrender mentioned). I'm prioritizing legibility and was hoping that "pixel" fonts would be easier to read. I was using a more stylized medieval-looking font before.

Hmm, Alagard looks promising as well. I like Perfect DOS as well, especially the "0" character cuz it has a dot in the middle (idk why that appeals to me lol).

eomereolsson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I quite took a liking to vollkorn and I am currently using it in all of my projects. You can use it for free even in commercial projects.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Frostorm I agree that Alagard looks nice, but think legability is going to be a problem, particularly for people with any degree of dyslexia.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Jay19 wrote on Dehsalp's profile.
Hello,
I saw your post where you talk about the Action Cutin plugin (by Irina). I know I have no right to ask you this but, can you please send it to me? I'm trying to make a game for my son.
I can give you all the Yanfly plugins in exchange, I found them on a forum (long live sharing).
Feel free to reply to me even if you see this post years from now.
Cordially,
Jeremy
faccjeremy@hotmail.fr
Camping inside a hidden cave.
LzSHByh.jpg
I don’t believe in astrology. I’m a Sagittarius and we’re skeptical.
senary_concept_art.png
The concept art for the sprite of Senary, a major character in my upcoming (as-of-yet-unnamed) project. She is known as the Timelord because she can "stop time" by making eye contact with a person; Paralyzing them for a short period of time through a type of hypnosis. Tell me what you think about her. I'm thinking of changing the color of her coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawerencewils