Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm working on a game that focuses on food. Characters will be showing each other food recipes from their phone. I'm planning on using pictures from Google to show how the dishes look like.

Nonprofit game, noncommercial. I'm not concerned about legal issues, but just wondering how a normal player would react when they see pictures of real food in a 2D game.

Nenen

Untested RPG storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you can integrate it as part of the style, then they will be fine.

Just a note: I think you better be concerned at least a bit about the legal side, Make sure that you use images that you're Allowed to use.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nenen

If you can integrate it as part of the style, then they will be fine.

As part of the style? Not sure I understand you. Not that I have any way to make the images more anime-ish, lol. XD
Someone also said that "The clash between the game's graphics and irl images sounds jarring." Not sure if it'll be enough of a big issue for most players, though.

watermark

Waiting for that RM vibe to come back.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it could be interesting. If you are not concerned with making money then I say feel free to experiment and not worry about what people will think.

Part of Indie is about making weird stuff.

And if you don't care about making money, even better. You can go wild.

However, I do suggest you use public-domain images (google has a filter?) or images purchased from one of those picture wholesale sites like dreamstime. People can technically still sue you even if you are non-commercial. There's whole threads discussing this topic in this forum that you can search for.

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As Nenen said, I feel like you would be better of if you could integrate it somehow, for examle by putting a frame auround the pictures that matches your style or making them part of a recipe books page or something.

Also you should make sure that the pictures are not too different from each other concerning their size, quality, maybe camera angles and so on.

But in generel, if it's well made and implemented I don't think it will cause a problem.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another character battle theme
Sorry everyone. Covid rules made me a laptop potatoe and I would need more exercise and past 2nd invasion I am still fighting for space also here. So I am not enough often here and... well I answer even less to my e-mails. DC is saying a huge HI to everyone with her heavy wet purrings.

You all take care in here ^^
traficaccidence.jpg
"It's time to add cars into the city!"
--- Famous last word of the developer's character before hit by a car :kaoswt2:
Yay, our new game, Causality is finally released on Steam!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beru