Ronyunderen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello, could you help me please to give me advice/tips to make this example tile become different/unique. I use Photoshop CS2.

Right now, i wanna edit the rtp, so my 'game enviroment' more different and less boring lol.

I don't have enough money to pay tileset artist to make tileset pack, so i wanna custom/edit it from rtp.

any idea?

I have an idea:
  • change colour
  • then what else?
Thank you!

1653207719001.png

Last edited:

arsMori

Drawer of Images
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Besides simply recoloring the tile, you could add little variations or imperfections depending on what setting your game's in.

Using your wall as example, you could add some cracks and chips on the bricks to suggest age. You could put small plants growing between the cracks, or perhaps moss on the bricks' surface.

You could also change the style of the pillars at the side (smoothen it, add a design at the base, etc.)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
another way what I do to make it less default beside simple coloring
is to add low noise, and use another wall (can be rtp as well) and set
it to overlay (you might want to try different blend modes avaible),
or select some bricks, and recolor that (which I do as well).

it gives something unique if you do it nicely though =)

another way if you want it nicely, vertical brick pixel by pixel for
diagonal, more space for windows (usefull for the outside as inside).

this might be time consuming, but it's worth it :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
your example tile looks as if it could be made into one of the wall-autotiles by some very carefull changes.
however an autotile is rather difficult to handle, and you should look for a lot of tutorials before trying that.

Ronyunderen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
your example tile looks as if it could be made into one of the wall-autotiles by some very carefull changes.
however an autotile is rather difficult to handle, and you should look for a lot of tutorials before trying that.
I crop it from Snow Wall Exterior RTP.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I crop it from Snow Wall Exterior RTP.
then it probably is already formatted as a walltile, but you should still look up how autotiles are constructed.

the problem is that if you make an edit of an autotile even slightly wrong, the result will be jarring wherever the autotile is used.
That is because autotiles are basically collections of up to twenty quartertiles that are used depending on their position in the map, and the borders of all those quarter tiles have to fit each other to look correct. changing the border between two adjacent place quartertiles will look harmless on the tile itself, but create edges when the engine mixes the quartertiles to different positions.

Ronyunderen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
then it probably is already formatted as a walltile, but you should still look up how autotiles are constructed.

the problem is that if you make an edit of an autotile even slightly wrong, the result will be jarring wherever the autotile is used.
That is because autotiles are basically collections of up to twenty quartertiles that are used depending on their position in the map, and the borders of all those quarter tiles have to fit each other to look correct. changing the border between two adjacent place quartertiles will look harmless on the tile itself, but create edges when the engine mixes the quartertiles to different positions.
oh okay i get it. Thank you for your detail explaination, i will try hehe.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Messing around with fragment shaders (filters). This thing is HUGE and I'm surprised almost no one makes good use of. Even the number of plugins that do this stuff are limited.
ScreenShot_6_28_2022_3_2_40.png

There's 7 main areas in the game that are all connected. This train get's you from an underground lab to the center of someone's subconscious. inside the train you can talk to some of the passengers. but going to the top of it, there's battles.
Speedrunning all character portraits just so they all have the same quality. Not sure if this was a good idea, but now I'm almost done.
We now have a gameplay video!
DrBuni wrote on Akiritas's profile.
That is a cute Link picture, reminds me of the Samurai Jack artstyle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerehrER