For solo developers, how do you make a game?

Kato-A

Artist and developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's simple, try to shine in what you know how to do best, so that it overshadows what you don't know.
For example, I was born with no ability to make music, no matter how hard I tried... :kaocry:
But at least I can make my own graphics :kaoluv: so it's just a matter of searching for the right music in google.(I'm too poor to hire a musician)

I also don't know anything about javascript... But luckily whenever I have a question and I google it, 90% of the time, someone else has already asked the same question.
What I'm trying to say is: Even if there are things you don't know, there is always information on the internet and many resources to use.

So technically we are not solo developers, many people are helping us without knowing it. :kaopride:

Last edited:

TheOddFellow

Overactive Artisan Story Crafter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm truly flabbergasted at the myriad of responses I've received on this forum. Once again, thanks. I'm now convinced that this post could extend towards eternity, and I would leave it open, so long as it's allowed.

On the flip side; I've decided to make compromises (very small, I hate doing it) for my game and to build up my "portfolio." As well as using my time to look up assets first that are eligible and more than likely x100 better than whatever I could eke out. I'll just do it, essentially.

Again. I am truly humbled to have received such a vast array of answers. And I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

*Humble bow.*

poorrabbit

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To answer the title question: Very Slowly.

Solo dev is hard and time consuming. You have to keep the whole game in your head. Systems. Plot. Characters. Skills. Items. Classes. Everything. All has to be in your head all the time, because they all interweave.

I've stopped and started a number of games over the years in Unity, GameMaker Studio and RPGMaker (going back to VXAce).

I'm in (what I'm guessing is) a relatively rare position: my day job pays quite well, and I can afford to pay for the things that I don't want to do. Within reason. Still don't want to waste money, though :LZYsmile:

Systems: For all of my previous tries, I've done a fair bit of coding. This time around: if I can't do it in events or find a plugin that does what I need, it's not happening. I'm using RPGMaker cause I don't actually want to write code - it used to be my day job and I'm tired of it. I'll pay for plugins and systems if they actually do what I need.

Story: This time around, I don't actually have a story yet, I just have a general conceit as to what the game is about: Crafting and Murder. I figure the story will come to me as I gradually build a world in which you can craft and murder.

Sound: I could do the music. Heck, I still might. But, I have a giant library of music from DLC packs (mostly from humble bundles). There are plenty of good sound effects around both free and paid, so doing foley work seems kind of pointless

Graphics: Beyond recolors and franken-tiling, I'm terrible. I'm an excellent editor, but a terrible artist. So, I'm going to have to find what I need in the world.

Mapping: I love mapping. Time (and other people's opinions) will tell if I'm any good at it, but I love doing it. When I can't be bothered to work on more complex stuff like systems, I can always spent a bit of time fussing over the finer details of a map.

Overall, though, you gotta just keep plugging away at it. It can be totally thankless unless it gets out into the world, and even then...someone will complain, so you gotta do lots of testing and have a thick skin .

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can you wear all the hats? The more hats you wear, the more time it will take to dev your game. I wear all the hats (art, music, coding, etc) so this one project has been damn near decade now (started with vxa, finishing it up in mz). i was stubborn and refused to outsource (like getting some resource packs lol) because i had a point to prove. now it's just ill health and a project stalled at 80%.
so don't feel bad if you don't have the skills or the change to get your game together. you have your vision, just learn the system to put it together. the other stuff will come later.

DoctorLoops

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basically, "slowly, but surely". There are a lot of different parts to making a game, so it's naturally a lot for one sole person to undertake. I'd say the most important part is having a clear vision of what you want the game to become. As long as you always know what needs to be done next, you can keep taking steps towards accomplishing it and moving on to the next step.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

DamageEvil_2.png added!
index.php

Important update for Leafko!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thesailing