For the love of god, I can't make under and over bridges for the life of me

Dinkus

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've tried 4 tutorials online, each multiple times, to make an "under and over" bridge (you can walk under, but once you get on a platform, you can walk across). I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong. Are there any tutorials on this site you can link me to? or if you can help directly, although I'm about to go to bed and don't really have the time to post screenshots or anything? thanks

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's basically a matter of using events with two pages as the bridge. One page will be the bridge "under player" while the other page is the bridge "over player". Then you just have a touch event at the "entrance" and "exit" to the bridges to control which event page of the bridges is used.

try to look for the thread called BustedEd's (If I remember the name correctly) Tutorials. He also has a demo project which you can download so that you can see exactly how it was done, and even copy paste the setup.

Crabs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Have you tried this tutorial?

TCRegan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I actually made a tutorial on reddit about this not too long ago. I hope it helps you.
I have a step-by-step on there with pictures. And here's just the album:

Fornoreason1000

Black Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ah.. this is the same thing when you have two bridges that cross over each other. like this
CrossOver.png

well at least conventionally.
Another way of doing it is to make conditional and invisible event walls.

You know that an invisible event WILL block a player if that event "Priority" is set to "same is characters?"
You Know that event set to below characters will make it use the Tile below it pass ability settings?
(Unless the image of the event is from the tile set).

Well if your clever you instead of using a switch you can use a variable called PlayerZ .

every time the player changed elevation on a map you change that variable to match.

The allow the vents to know where the player actually is so you can make crossing bridges like the pictures above. The events change state depending on playerZ

Last edited:

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I learned a method with events a while ago. Let me explain what to do. It's very easy.
Here is my test map
bridge1.PNG

The bottoms of the ladders set a variable to 0 and the top sets the same variable to 1. If you go higher, set to 2 and so on.
bridge2.PNG

Then the bridge itself is controlled by this variable
bridge3.PNG bridge4.PNG

You will notice that on the map picture that I have an event with a small picture there of a piece of the bridge. It's set to below players because if that was not there, the character would not be able to walk onto the bridge since the building/cliff tiles prevents you from walking off it.

Good luck.

Dinkus

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yo, if anyone's still here I diagnosed the problem.

I'm doing a vertical bridge. I cannot walk down on the bridge, because the true tile underneath it is the cliff side things, which I disabled walking on. If I replace those cliff tiles with a passable tile, then I can just walk through where the bridge starts.

So basically, I can't walk on top of the bridge because the tiles underneath it are set to unpassble, but if I make them passble, it messes up everything.

Screenshot:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The only way to fix that which I found was to put one more bridge tile onto the cliff.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Right. Now make a path to that bridge which you can actually get on. Yes, it will mean you will have to redesign your area a little.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Do what I showed up above. Use a small piece of the bridge tile. (you have to use another spot to copy the image on and trim it down, I used photoshop) that will give it the aesthetic feel. You could just simply make the event at the top of the bridge below players with no graphic. Just like my example shows.

Dinkus

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Roninator2 Did that, didn't work. First tried it with action button and below, didnt work. Did it with player touch, didn't work.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Works fine for me. The only thing you probably didn't do was put a tile in the event. If it's a blank event with no graphic then it will not work. Just find a tile in your tilesheet that is empty (not the top left one) and use it. Just tested this myself.

Dinkus

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Works fine for me. The only thing you probably didn't do was put a tile in the event. If it's a blank event with no graphic then it will not work. Just find a tile in your tilesheet that is empty (not the top left one) and use it. Just tested this myself.
doesnt work.

TCRegan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Out of curiosity, is there an advantage to using variables in the event opposed to switches? It seems to achieve the same effect, but I might be missing something.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Since you keep doing something wrong Here
Variables would allow to go higher and higher. Say you went up, and then crossed a bridge, then you went up again and had to cross a bridge for the area you walking in now. How would you track that you're up one level but now have to cross a bridge on a higher level. Which you could go under but then over when you need to cross. It also helps to keep track of your characters elevation from ground, so you know how high he is when going down.

Last edited:

Dinkus

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Since you keep doing something wrong Here
Variables would allow to go higher and higher. Say you went up, and then crossed a bridge, then you went up again and had to cross a bridge for the area you walking in now. How would you track that you're up one level but now have to cross a bridge on a higher level. Which you could go under but then over when you need to cross. It also helps to keep track of your characters elevation from ground, so you know how high he is when going down.
Again, the problem is that I disallow passage through cliffs, so the player cannot go through. In your example you didn't use cliffs.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
ok send me a demo.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Dinkus That's not a demo. That does not have any information on your project. Open RPG Maker VX Ace, make a new project. Go to the folder where your game project is located and double click on the game.rvproj2 file (the one you linked above). This will open the program with both projects. you can move the windows around to make them side by side for ease of access. Copy your map for the bridge in to the new project, test the project to make sure the problem is still there. If yes then click on file, compress game data. Make sure to uncheck the create encrypted archive option. Note where it is going to be saved. After it finished making the game file, go to the folder and you should see a blue icon with the name of the project. Zip the file and then send that to me.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Is it necroposting if I ask for more info in my own months old thread? All the information in the thread is relevant
JRPG TextBox HTML - Part 2:
So I'm resuming work on the Shadowstar Trilogy. I've decided that it will take place between the end of G4 and the start of G5, and two of the Lost Rulers will be Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer (who is the moon princess in my AU).
Been working on some sprites, My favorite out of all of them is this guy, his name is Moss:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emileewitt