Forcing a different weapon's animation to play in skills.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Oliin, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Oliin

Oliin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is it possible to force a weapon animation to play when you use a skill that is different from the equipped weapon? I basically want a character to be a sword user but have a few skills where they pull out a gun. I've tried giving the character an off-hand gun weapon and requiring it to be equipped for the skills use and I've looked through yanfly's documentation. I just can't find a solution. Of course if it does exist I'm sure it's something stupidly simple I've overlooked ....

2. LadyBaskerville

LadyBaskerville Hell-poodle Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I guess you don't mean the animation playing on top of the enemies, because that can be chosen via the Animation option on the skill ;)

If you want the sideview actor to use a gun graphic (instead of, for example, a sword), that seems to be pretty difficult. Right now, I can only think of a workaround using Yanfly's Action Sequence plugins. You can use this notetag for the skill:

<target action>

perform start

wait for movement

motion missile: user, no weapon

wait: 10

attack animation: target

wait for animation

action effect

wait for animation

wait for movement

wait: 5

</target action>

Note that I used motion missile: user, no weapon. That is because otherwise it would use the weapon graphic of the equipped weapon (in slot 1, in case you use Dual Wield). In this case, the actor graphic would make a shooting motion, but use a sword instead of a gun.

Instead, I would add the gun to the the sideview battler graphic of the actor for the "missile" motion, like this:

Actor1_5_gun.png

There should be a different way to do this (maybe in Lunatic mode?), but if it's just for one occasion, perhaps this trick works well enough.

3. Oliin

Oliin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes I was trying to get the actor to use a gun graphic instead of a dagger, and I'm glad I didn't overlook a simple fix. Thank you for the idea to simply edit the sideview battler though. That's a solution I likely wouldn't have come to on my own.

LadyBaskerville likes this.
  4. LadyBaskerville

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad I could help :)

I'm still wondering whether it's possible to do this in Lunatic Mode. I'll probably look into it next week when I'm back at my PC.

5. LadyBaskerville

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Found a solution without having to edit the image!

Yanfly's Weapon Animation plugin can change the weapon image for the sideview battler. Unfortunately, the notetags don't work for skills, so it's still a bit of a workaround:

I created a new state like this, in my case #12:

gun_state.png

"Weapon Image: 9" is for the gun image, "Weapon Motion: missile" for the shooting motion.

Then I changed the Action Sequence to this:

<target action>

perform start

wait for movement

Eval: user.addState(12); //change the number to the ID of the state you're using

motion attack: user

Eval: user.removeState(12);

wait: 10

attack animation: target

wait for animation

action effect

wait for animation

wait for movement

wait: 5

</target action>

And it works! :D

It's not a double post if there are 72 hours in between posts, right? If I'm wrong, sorry, mods ;_;

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
  6. Oliin

Oliin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well that's certainly an odd workaround, but I think you've hit on the easiest solution there. Thank you.