Forcing characters to use skills in event battles

Azrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've been trying to figure out how to set up an event that makes a player character use a particular skill during a specific battle. I don't mean to keep loading the forums with my topics, but I honestly can't find a guide on how to do this anywhere.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You do this in the event page of the particular troop where you want this to happen.  If you use that troop for other battles where you don't want this, then you will have to make a separate troop especially for it.

In the Event command Menu, tab 3, bottom right, you will see the command 'Force Action'.  You don't specify if you want this skill to be used once, only at certain points in the battle, or every turn.  Depending on what you want, you set the command with the appropriate turns.

Could I strongly urge you to pause your game making and have a look a this thread by Andar.  Work through it, don't just skim-read it.  Taking the time to get the fundamentals now will save you a huge amount of time and frustration in the future.

EDIT

You might also want to play through this tutorial game by Dreadshadow.  It specifically looks at all the things that you can do with the event commands, and so you can learn about Force Action and many other things.  It only takes 4 hours, and will save you weeks of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks I'll take a look.

--

I checked out the tutorial links, but those are for VX Ace, I'm using 2003 which is a very different creature.

MirageV

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeaaaaaaah, I see this happening a bit often recently. 2k3 doesn't have as many quality of life features that Ace has. It takes some tinkering to do whatever it is you want.

That said, 2k3 doesn't have force action. So the only way for you to force a character to use a 'skill' is to replicate the skill in event code. Basic steps for that are...

1. Apply a state to the character to make them invisible.

2. Play an animation on the character of them moving.

3. Play an animation on the target enemy of them arriving.

4. Play the skill animation on the enemy

5. Use variables to store player and enemy stats and run calculations. 1 for player attack, 1 for enemy defense. I believe the 2k3 damage algorithm is a.atk/2 - / b.def/4, but I might be wrong. It's been a while. Check the help file to be sure. If you want it to do some absurdly high damage due to a story event or whatever, you could enter in a high value instead of using a variable. Or multiply character atk by a high number. Event damage is capable of breaking the damage limit! (Fun fact)

6. Apply damage to target via 'Change HP', and use the value of the variable calculations instead of a hard value.

7. Play an animation of the character returning to their position.

8. Remove invisible state.

If it's a magic spell, then you can cut out some steps...

1. Apply a state to the character to make them take a casting pose

2. Play the skill animation on the enemy

3. Use variables to store player and enemy stats and run calculations. 

4. Apply damage to target via 'Change HP', and use the value of the variable calculations instead of a hard value.

5. Remove casting pose state.

...And that's it. I haven't gone into detail but you should be able to figure out what commands to use if you explore the event commands. It's really straightforward. ...The commands. Not the process.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My bad, I didn't notice that this was in the 2K3 section of the forum, so of course none of what I wrote will apply.

Azrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ksjp17

Yeah, if it didn't require tons of coding for ace to get the actors on screen during battle I'd probably use it itstead, but I don't really have any coding experence and I don't want to "Borrow" someone elses code.

@MirageV

Thanks. It might take me a while to figure out the variable part, but right now I'm still learning how the system work and this is just part of the proccess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.
Stream will be going live shortly with some more Witcher 3, then we will switch to another game! Feel free to drop by~
Finally scripting out the story after WAYYYYY too long of having 0 idea of how to approach said scripting.
2020 has started off pretty stressful for me, but no need to fear. I have my mood fixer:

Have you appreciated a Hedgehog today?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmeeDucks