Formula Effects

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

All items and skills in RPG Maker come with additional “effects”.

Effects include gaining HP, learning a skill, gaining a buff in a parameter, or running a common event.

However, what if you would like a skill to do something that isn’t provided by default?

You could use the damage formula, but what if you would like to create conditions on those effects? You could include those conditions in the formula as well, but the problem here is you may end up with a very complex damage formula.

Instead of using the damage formula for everything, you can create custom effects that support formulas. If you already knew how to write the formula, then you can just move it from the damage formula into this formula effect.

Because a formula effect is just another effect, it supports other plugins that work with effects, such as Effect Conditions, which allows you to determine whether an effect should be executed based on a condition.

More information and downloads are available at HimeWorks
Free for use in Commercial and Non-Commercial games

Last edited by a moderator:

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have a feeling that this script is providing something extremely valuable, but I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding exactly what!

Is the main point of the script to enable easy database-side access for scripted effects on UsableItem objects (assuming one knows how to code), rather than having to find the appropriate places in the code and check which skill/item was used?

Very cool of you to allow access to the "Result" of the action, btw.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have a feeling that this script is providing something extremely valuable, but I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding exactly what!

Is the main point of the script to enable easy database-side access for scripted effects on UsableItem objects (assuming one knows how to code), rather than having to find the appropriate places in the code and check which skill/item was used?

Very cool of you to allow access to the "Result" of the action, btw.

My purpose for writing this plugin is to avoid tossing everything into the damage formula.

For me, a damage formula should only involve the computation of a number that determines how much damage the skill does.

It is not meant to also add states, or also add buffs, or also remove party members, etc which is something that I see suggested.

A side-effect of this plugin is that, yes, you can basically just define your own effects without having to write a separate plugin for it.

Another consequence is you can use the "results" of the previous effect, or the action's initial damage, since this information may be available.

However, one downside is you are unable to actually determine whether the skill/item has any effect on the selected target or not if you chose to include conditional checking in the formula itself.

My solution would be to use Effect Conditions to separate the conditional checks from the actual effect resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for clarifying :)

It seems like this plugin provides the means for a lot of really cool skill/item effects, requiring just a tiny bit of JavaScript knowledge (as opposed to the moderate JS knowledge and familiarity with MV's own default script idiosyncracies that would have been necessary before).  So I really hope people take advantage of the great power and flexibility that's offered here!

If this script becomes as popular as it deserves to, there would be some value in having a repository of different lines that can be entered to achieve a desired effect (with things like the gainHp lines in your example becoming one of hundreds).

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I think I will put together such a list of formulas that may be useful somewhere.

Ashouse

Resident Zombie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think I will put together such a list of formulas that may be useful somewhere.
Please do this. That would make my life so much easier. Thanks for this. If i can learn some formuli, this will be great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

i watched the sonic movie it was pretty good i hope they make a sequel
tomorrow I'ma go on a cruise for the first time ever... lets hope I'll survive the experience!
Omg! 8 years in this forum :o
Ksi
Streaming the last of the RMN Valentiny event games so feel free to drop on by and watch me cry (whether that's from laughter, rage or sheer pain, who knows?)
Today I went to sleep without setting an alarm, so I could sleep more than 2 hours. I woke up after 2 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jloppnow