FoxySeta

Cleric, script kiddie and fudanshi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tutorial topic: how to manage your characters' closeness to the MC and make that influence the story
Brief description
Even if I'm not into tutorials about something an extension/studying documentation could do just fine, I've recieved an offer for doing this, so… here comes nothing. Check this tutorial if you'd like to create your own intimacy system (much like in an otome game).
Template used for this tutorial: Sample Scripted-based UI, 720 x 1280 (my patron wants to develop a mobile game)
Requirements
  • Having read the Beginner's Guide. I can't help you either otherwise.
Tutorial body
  • Setting up your characters (in the database)
  1. Go to the Database's "Characters" section and create the desired characters (if you haven't done it already)
  2. For each and every one of the characters you want to be affected by the intimacy system, repeat the steps 3-4:
  3. Add a new parameter called "Intimacy"
  4. Initialize the parameter with a number of your choice, but greater or equal than 0 and lesser or equal than 100
  5. Save your project so that VNMaker can see your changes
  • Setting up your common events (in the database)
  1. Go to the Database's "Common Events" section and create a new record called "Change Intimacy"
  2. Set it up like this (pay attention: copy both the parameters and the scene content):
    Setup 0.PNGSetup 1.PNG3.1.PNGSetup 2.PNG Setup 3.PNG
    If the engine doesn't show you the "Affection" option when setting up the "Get Parameter" scene commands, try to:
    1. Use as a character one from your database with the "Intimacy" parameter already defined
    2. Now you should be able to choose "Intimacy" in the parameter field
    3. Remember to go back to [L:0001 Character] once you're done
  1. If you want to customize this common event at your heart's content, this is the good time to do it. For example, you may want to show a message like "Your affection level changed based on your new memories together!" with a sound effect playing at the same time.
  2. Create a new record called "Get Intimacy"
  3. Set it up like this (pay attention: copy both the parameters and the scene content):
    4.PNG 5.PNG 6.PNG
  4. If the engine doesn't show you the "Affection" option when setting up the "Get Parameter" scene commands, try to:
    1. Use as a character one from your database with the "Affection" parameter already defined
    2. Now you should be able to choose "Affection" in the parameter field
    3. Remember to go back to [L:0001 Character] once you're done
  • Setting up your scene (in the scene editor)
  1. Here's a possible setup:
    7.PNG
  2. When working on your scene, remember that you can lower someone's "Intimacy" by passing negative numbers to "Change Intimacy"
  3. Also, if you want to show the player a character's "Intimacy" level, try with my Gauges System (you can also use it inside a Profiles Menu)
Patron: @Valadilene

Last edited:

LysRose

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Rus/speak Eng
Primarily Uses
VNM
Thank you! That's very useful. I'll try it in my project.

FoxySeta

Cleric, script kiddie and fudanshi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! That's very useful. I'll try it in my project.
Happy to hear that! Also, let me know if you need help with the linked extensions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's names in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan
Did a massive ****up in my code that would have caused the game to crash on most computers and almost released an update without noticing it.
I keep thinking today is Thursday.
And I look forward to the next preview thread coming this afternoon.
And then I realise it's not Thursday at all.
And then I get sad :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr