Framed Artwork

GotMop

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ever play a game and then just stop for a moment to enjoy the artwork on the walls?

This is my first attempt at creating a framed artwork sprite that could be utilized within a game. Very often, I find that developers lack the resources or don't notice the value when creating an in depth background along interior walls. My hope is that this example of my work is received enough that more can be created. I have plenty of design concepts, but I would like to know that there is need for this before complete the work.

To offer flexibility, I have posted the sprite in multiple sizes. Please feel to comment below your thoughts. These sprites are available for both commercial and non-commercial games. No credit needed. Feel free to use them as you see fit!

16x16.png 24x24.png 32x32.png 48x48.png

Left to Right
16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
in depth game for yes and no, while RM is 2.5D game creator, using multiple frame size
and based of region or variable/switches etc, it can be usefull. but not everytime if your wall
full of objects (mirrors, paintings, windows etc, it can become messy.

most dev probably use different sizes that can fit, small, middle, big ones etc.
but some parts can be indepth but not always.

it also really depends on the concept you make to create the game,
does it has many maps? is it 1 big house to solve riddles? etc
than it can be possible to use them, but I dont have fit in my game, but I like the idea though.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are alot of different size of painting, some empty frames,
so having it on 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64 and everything in between
48x64, 64x48, 48x24 etc different sizes, are maybe more usefull for most dev's.

but if there are peoples that want to try in more depth, and using the idea that it become
bigger when you go closer to it, what is stopping you?

I dont might different sizes, but making it bigger require more space and not usefull
for mapping parts, so it mostly is B-E tileset for interieur that are used, but I dont
see any outside paintings yet =)

GotMop

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I dont might different sizes, but making it bigger require more space and not usefull
for mapping parts
Here is a side by side comparison versus the RTP paintings within the basic interior set. The paintings demonstrated are the 16x16 and 24x24 size. Please note that this is only a one tile high wall.

Sample.JPG
Shown in RPGMaker VX Ace

Sample 2.JPG
Shown in RPGMaker VX Ace

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use MV, standard tile there is 48x48, but paintings can be smaler, bigger etc.
personally, those walls or 1 tile high = ugly, specially for door addings.

normal house for editor = 2 hight, 1 grid size door,
tall characters, at least 3 hight walls, tall door, bit bigger than the actor in height (+4 pixels)?

but in VX you use, 16x16, 24x24 on 1 tile or 2 height wall looks betters, if there are spacing.
higher walls have more room for bigger paintings.

but If you ask me, you can create some, with a spacing of +5 pixels on all sides, and the people
that want paintings, can add them and rearrange them on the B-E tileset to place them.

For MV, there is a plugin from yanfly to move the sprite up/down, left, right to place them nicely
on the walls, and among other things.

as for the images you show in VX Ace, I think bigger wall of 2 or 3 does the trick nicer though.
but that depends on the wall used and dev's personal reference.

GotMop

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I can agree with those sizing suggestions. I could totally picture a castle with a giant self portrait of the king, lol.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is the artwork in the frame yours or one you have the rights to use?

GotMop

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is the artwork in the frame yours or one you have the rights to use?
Both the frame and picture are public domain. I just took the time to combine the two. I hope you enjoy some of the editing I did to it. I would like to do more if there are people who want them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

lunarrosecrow wrote on hiddenone's profile.
please don't lurk hiddenone I'm quarantining!!!
lunarrosecrow wrote on Edward.T's profile.
Hello Edward sorry to bother you and didn't start a conversation cause I thought i'd be a little weird or disrespectful but I was wondering do you still have your Generator resources you posted as the links on the page are dead?
Stream will be live shortly! It is my birthday, and thus I am doing an extended stream! I will be doing a variety of things. Among the activities I will be doing: Playing Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas, art, and some Text Adventure~ Feel free to drop by!
It would be cool if you could "copy as code" event commands :< .
Just managed to recover my Yahoo e-mail that i lost 3 months ago. Turns out an IP from U.S had hacked it and set the pass back to normal.. Like WTF ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannyBee21