FREE Authoring tool

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a time you wanna make a game, and the scenario is SO Huge and the characters SO deep, that a simple or even an enhanced text editor can't help you either.

Many commercial products exist to help you out to write a novel, a game story or a script for a movie.

And there is bibisco.

An open source, free tool, made by an author (and programmer eventually) for authors.

Because sharing is caring, here is a link:

http://www.bibisco.com/en

Give it a try and tell me what do you think about it people.

Do you use any other free or proprietary, commercial or freeware software?

How does bibisco stands next to them?

Edit:

Just adding another one authoring tool I found, that I actually use to graph the scenario of a game I got in mind.

https://twinery.org/

A free office suite:

https://www.libreoffice.org/

==============================================================================================

People and also me, suggest to take a look of Scrivener. It gives a free demo and it is a fabulous piece of software.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calvynne

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
While definitely not free, Scrivener is the product I use for all of my writing, (when I'm not using notepad for simple stuff).

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php

Bibisco seems to have a lot of great considerations in place with regards to plotting and establishing characters and scenes.

Looking at those, I like a lot of the ideas presented in it.

I will give it a try with a short story and see how it flows, because screenshots don't tell the full story.

What makes Scrivener powerful is that the author can lay multiple creative spaces beside one another like a bulletin board and have references open without going into other windows. So my "characters" section is open beside my main work, while my inspiration images are below it. As well, with enough care, you can easily hyperlink major items so that you can reference every point where they come up.

Scrivener also has some extremely powerful exporting options to different formats, which if you are looking at dumping something straight to PDF/epub is fantastic.

Understandably the price tag is a restriction for a lot of folks, however discounts pop-up for Scrivener all the time. (Particularly around NaNoWriMo). As well, Scrivener gives you a significant trial period. (30 non-consecutive days last time I checked).

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to Program and Utility Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Didn't thought of that thread @Shaz, my bad sorry.

@Calvynne Scrivener seems good, I might give it a try. What you told me so far makes it at least interesting.

Idril

Widdershins Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I will give Scrivener another vote for being a really amazing writing software. Although I am the huge dork that owns the program and still uses Word most of the time, it's just because I'm stuck in my ways. If I had half of a brain in my head I would use Scrivener for all of my writing. It's a great, powerful program and it's got some really nice organizational tools. If you write out of order, like if you like writing bits and pieces of your story and organizing them and piecing them together, it works really well, and even if you write in order it's still got all of the helpful features @Calvynne talked about.

I also use A Novel Idea, which is free, on my phone for managing characters and outlining scenes on the go, among other things. Bibisco seems like it has a lot of the same character management features as A Novel Idea, plus questionnaires which I've been looking for in a program for ages, so I will be checking it out, maybe to use alongside Scrivener instead of having to rely on my phone for that stuff.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Cool!  sorry I haven<t looked since a bit and... just wasted my 50 likes!.  Will take a look at it.  :)

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Scrivener looks interesting... I like how it actually has fair trial conditions - you get 30 days, not 30 days from the first time you run it. There's no pressure to use it every day just to get the best use of your trial time.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
:D   Twinery... Still have to try it!  Would be good to test dialogues.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
:D   Twinery... Still have to try it!  Would be good to test dialogues.

Actually it is great to pre-plan different dialogues, and even set variable changes according to what you wanna do.

For example, you may wanna have the player interact with 10 NPCs and keep score of what is going on with each of them.

Those variables might add or remove dialogue options or other stuff in your game.

Keeping track of variable changes due to multiple options, and creating dialogue trees are pretty easy tasks using twine.

Of course it isn't like commercial products that do shiny things on keeping stuff neat and having super features.

But it is a great tool to organize your game dialogues.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Almost what we can't do by merely planning everything on paper.  :D   We are on the very same page on this.  ;)  

Also... trying to get everything on computer by mere diagrams is also wayyyyyyyyy unreliable and kinda risky in time.  ^^

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes it's a good idea to create in PC a diagram and archive it, than scanning something I suppose.

Plan on paper? My thoughts? I will need a LOT of paper.

Twine is better for that. :p

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
I love leaving my storyboards/comics on the wall...but...let say interactive...meh... Maybe just the maps then :p  

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wanna thank all people that suggested Scrivener and drew my attention to this piece of software. Although it is not very useful, when it comes to keeping track of certain variable values, it is still one of the best pieces of software for gathering and organizing information to write a novel.

Actually I now own it and I made a template based on Bibisco's structure. Along with Twine and another suggestion I am gonna propose, it is really what anyone might need to start with a complex scenario.

The other suggestion is an alternative to Office. Most of people might know about it, but there are people that have no idea that Libre Office exists. A free office suite.

Check it out.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

(OP edited)

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
YEAH!  Got it too.  Just frustrated it does not make by default .docs.  ;)

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
YEAH!  Got it too.  Just frustrated it does not make by default .docs.  ;)

Time to take away all of your frustration Marquise!

At the top toolbar of Scrivener there is an icon with a text and a blue arrow. On hover it shows that it is the COMPILE button.

You can also access this feature from File menu.

Then at the "Compile for:"  option, do not let the default rtf. Instead select doc or docx.

You can thank me later. :p :p :p

Or were you talking about Libre Office? Oh well, you can save anything on odf, then save as doc just whenever you wanna send something to someone who hasn't libre office and has MS Office instead.

Tip:

Save as doc (or docx) an empty file.

Copy paste it. to another folder.

Rename the copy file.

Work on the renamed file.

Saving will save as docx. :p

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Definatively Libre Office.  We can save a version in it.  But when you make new out of right clicking your desktop... errr well you understand.  :p

Perhaps I should try and find the Scrivener link; the way you type about it, it feels a good product.

Whattahis a docx?  Who let the docx out?

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I use twine myself!

The big draw for me is since it is also a very simple game engine for making text-based games you can also go through dialogue and get a feel for how it would sound to a player. Much different from just going through notes!

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Definatively Libre Office.  We can save a version in it.  But when you make new out of right clicking your desktop... errr well you understand.  :p

Perhaps I should try and find the Scrivener link; the way you type about it, it feels a good product.

Whattahis a docx?  Who let the docx out?

Scrivener comes with a great full functional demo. It works for 30 days, meaning if you install and run it, you can leave it for 100 days and then run it again. You will still have 29 more days to use it. It is a demo of 30 days of USAGE (run at least once to subtract a day) so you will be able to see if it fits your needs. It isn't neither expensive, neither cheap really. It has a fair price in my opinion, but still it is worth the money.

I mean you can make a recipie book with it, you can make a research project, you can make an Academic Thesis, you can make a novel of course, or even a technical book.  And here is the best part. It has an exporter. Like a compiler, that you can make through this, a pdf, an epub, a doc, docx, rtf, html and more. Being able to make an ebook yourself makes it fantastic.

About docx now...

This is more complex, so brace yourself.

The docx is the MS Word default file version. It is a doc that follows and is compatible with an XML schema.

Get it? It stands for doc + x(ml)

The docx files can not open by MS Office versions before Office 2007. Thus there is the compatibility mode with doc extention.

MS let the docx out. Who else? :p

Woof!

I use twine myself!

The big draw for me is since it is also a very simple game engine for making text-based games you can also go through dialogue and get a feel for how it would sound to a player. Much different from just going through notes!

Yes it is spectacular. A free gaming engine, that can also be used to map your thoughts for project on other engines.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Sorry @Dreadshadow...  It seems that I was kinda away for a while or your post and the one of @Canini just got past me. I had to sweep in tread followed to find this.

30 Days of usage is the best politic than please get glued to your seat 30 days even if your house burns!  LOL  Truly you found a gem and if the creators of this thought of it that way; it is worth paying closer attention because...  I'm always plagued with the 30days demo in time.  I can do a good sleepworking.  But it is nasty for health and creativity trying anything that way.  It always ends incomplete and... Usually I look at the program or saved file and give it a wide berth instead of closing... planning planning planning for next time where do I want to learn!

.docx...  -_-  *facepalm!*  Thanks... Only to you and on RPGMaker I can ask for things like that and not want to melt into the interweb in shame.  (I still preferred .doc as I could choose if I wanted or not all formatted for anything else than read.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's names in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan
Did a massive ****up in my code that would have caused the game to crash on most computers and almost released an update without noticing it.
I keep thinking today is Thursday.
And I look forward to the next preview thread coming this afternoon.
And then I realise it's not Thursday at all.
And then I get sad :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr