Free Music Makers?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Bloodmorphed, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Bloodmorphed

Bloodmorphed Dungeon Fanatic Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So I kind of wanted to dabble in the music making scene.

I have no budget so.. it would have to be a free program (for now).

What free music maker could you recommend? Why?

What is its pros and cons?

I would like to have it at least somewhat user friendly. Though it is not needed. I can be advanced when i wanna be lol.

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    IDK of any really usable free ones (at least for getting serious in this field)... some paid ones do have different packages, so you can start out small...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  3. EtphTheElephant

EtphTheElephant Advanced Elephant Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I remember going through a thread about free programs for music making (back I wanted to do it, but I gave up on it) and I wrote down some of the programs mentioned. Here they are: Ableton Live 8, Anvil Studio, Famitracker, Jazzware, Musagi.

4. Bloodmorphed

First Language:
    English
    Hm, I guess I would have to do some research.

5. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Keep in mind that programs like FamiTracker are tracker programs that handle notation differently than most other sequencing software.  Also, FamiTracker is a specialty tracker for creating NES/FDS music, so it's very niche.

As for free stuff, Etph mentioned some good programs you can use to start out with.  Good DAW's are usually SONAR, Cubase, FL Studio, etc.  I say for beginners with a low budget, you should start out with FL Studio since it has smaller, less feature-rich applications, but that can still churn out good music, provided you have good VSTi's and/or sound banks to work with.  It can also do rendered loops along side sequenced (MIDI) music.

If you don't mind niche and want to try a different approach to music with lots of features and being free, I suggest tracker-based programs like OpenMODPlug Tracker.  If you're new to music making, it would have a standard learning curve instead of a steep one for people who are used to other DAWs.

6. Bloodmorphed

First Language:
    English
    I'm extremely new to music making. As in, out of the box new. I have played with Caustic and FL Studio. However FL Studio doesn't have a free version just a trial (as far as I know?)

Caustic is good, but it started out mobile, so the PC port is just the mobile app, which is quite annoying. I hate the layout of it.

7. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    FL's trial as far as I know is usable, you just won't be able to reopen the files until you register it, but you can render? them into audio files so you can at least use them... and they come with different prices too...

8. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    While you're doing research on the software that people have suggested, try to bear in mind that a lot of it is down to how usable the software is to you.

There are lots of different programs you can get on a budget or for free and; whilst there are some major differences like whether it's tracker-based or not (as dj pointed out), generally you'll find a lot of the audio DAW's out there will accomplish the main things you want to do.  The question is how they do it and how accessible and/or convenient that is to you. 

So try out as many trials and demos as you can and remember.  Even if one DAW has more features than another, the other one is still better for you if you prefer using it.  When using a piece of software makes you feel more productive due to intuitiveness or the visual style, that's not a bad thing.

Hope that made some sort of sense... it's been a longgg day >.>

P.S. I have an expired trial of FL Studio lying around somewhere so there must be something.

djDarkX likes this.
  9. Bloodmorphed

First Language:
    English
    Mmmm, I think I'll try out Caustic again. Though I'm quite lost on how to start really. Lol

EDIT:

Also, I can't spend any money, at all. Lol

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  10. Kurisu

Kurisu game dev, pilot, cat lover Veteran

First Language:
    non-english
    You didn't mention your operating system. If you have iOS or Linux by any chance then I recommend: http://ardour.org

it's free, supports vst and does pretty much all the things you need to create music.

When it comes to Windows I don't know of any good free DAWs sadly :| DarkWave, maybe? Haven't used it myself.